Woodford's MRA4s

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
MartinNeedham

Woodford's MRA4s

Post by MartinNeedham »

Visited Woodford for a brief half hour or so this afternoon with Andy..

Cheers,
Martin

ianf

Re: Woodford's MRA4s

Post by ianf »

Hi Martin
The last shot is spot on in it's sentiment, I shall have to get over there before they too go to be scrapped.

Ian
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

So can someone please explain why at least ONE of these Nimrods can't be placed in a Museum? They placed a couple of TSR.2s in Museums and they were in the same position.

MartinNeedham

Post by MartinNeedham »

Many thanks for the comments, chaps.

Ian, let me know when you're thinking of going, I wouldn't mind going again before it's too late.

Unknown74 wrote:So can someone please explain why at least ONE of these Nimrods can't be placed in a Museum? They placed a couple of TSR.2s in Museums and they were in the same position.

The MRA4 project is a lot fresher in the minds of the public, when compared with the TSR.2. The government don't really want a lasting reminder of what a ridiculous waste of taxpayers money the Nimrod MRA4 project was and still is, and nor do the MoD want a monument to the failings of their procurement process so soon after the programme and it's aircraft have been cancelled .

I'd love to see an MRA4 preserved, but I think it's highly unlikely that one will be spared the scrap.

Cheers,
Martin

AnglianAV8R

Post by AnglianAV8R »

I'm sure the government/assassins of the day ordered all trace of the TSR2 project to be destroyed. I recall the sad sight of one airfrane on the ranges at Foulness !
A similar thing happened when politics dictated the end of the front entrance Routemaster (FRM) for London Transport, in favour of the Daimler (British Leyland) Fleetline. In the end the Routemasters out lived the Fleetlines:) Orders were given for the FRM to be scrapped, but it was hidden away for years and now graces the LT Museum.
If an MRA4 was kept intact, it would allow people to review the list of alleged faults and pick holes in the decision to scrap them. Can't see that happening.