Apache aerobatics.

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
gary1701

Apache aerobatics.

Post by gary1701 »

Gents,

Normal gentle example as the opener from a evening at Wattisham.

Followed by the practise display from directly underneath, even got two performances. No enhanced angles, these are as taken.

Another selection from a mate should be appearing on FC sometime this evening as well.

Gary
Last edited by gary1701 on Mon 09 May 2011, 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My photo website

My name's Wild Bill Kelso, and don't you forget it! - John Belushi, 1941.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Apache aerobatics.

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Fantastic photos Gary - quite looking forward to the Apache display, it was superb at Duxford last October.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

nigelblake

Post by nigelblake »

Excellent set of shots Gary!

flygirl

Post by flygirl »

Cracking shots. :clap:
We're not lost. We're locationally challenged. http://planemadanna.blogspot.com/

st24

Post by st24 »

Lovely angles but hardly "aerobatics"... :confused:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

RickIngham

Post by RickIngham »

Smashing set - some great light on it too :clap: :clap:

When you see these week in, week out doing nothing but hover for hours on end - i'd call that aerobatics :rock:

Stu

Post by Stu »

Ace set :clap: :clap:
Olympus Cameras

UBC780XLT
DJ-X10
DJ-X3

Representing www.simplyplanes.co.uk

F-86

Post by F-86 »

Very nice set. :clap: :clap:

gary1701

Post by gary1701 »

Gents,

Thank you. It's not very often that that combination comes together like that. As for the display, it looks the same or very similar to the Duxford autumn show last year, and is also the same routine they use for families days at Wattisham. Side stepping down the crowdline, gun and optics in motion, tight flat 360's, pitching forward and vertical dive towards the crowd and lots of fast runs to either side with wingovers pitching back in towards crowd central. All good stuff again. It was directly under the wingovers that I placed myself last night. If you're lucky you can catch them making fast runs across the field with wingovers at each end during normal sorties on the odd occasion, not just when practising the display routine. Is it aerobatic? I once heard a AH pilot refer to it as such so that'll do for me.

Rick, it's funny you say that, because I look at the pics that yourself and the other regulars down at SPTA frequently show, espically the FARP landings, low light and sunset silhouettes and wish there was the opportunity to shoot that sort of stuff up here. The geography of the airfield for public viewing at Wattisham means there's little to no chance of the angles unfortunately.

Thanks again.

Gary
Last edited by gary1701 on Tue 10 May 2011, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My photo website

Plane Mad

Post by Plane Mad »

Superb Gary, just superb :clap:
If enough power is good, & more is better, than WAY TOO MUCH should be just about right!!!

Aquila

Post by Aquila »

Cracking set of pics there-mind if I ask where you were stood? Crash gate 1?

Pedro

gary1701

Post by gary1701 »

Aquila wrote:Cracking set of pics there-mind if I ask where you were stood? Crash gate 1?

Pedro

Hi and thanks. Was treated to another performance this evening, although it was cloudy so very few pictures taken. The pics were not taken from any regular stop at Wattisham. From crash gate 2 (layby and memorial on the Northside) head down the road (East) until you're roughly level with 22 Sqn's hangar, and I just pull over onto the grass. The right hand wingovers back towards crowd centre are flown right over the road at this point - they don't go as far as the 23 end of the runway on a practise display although normal callsigns doing runs across the field sometimes do. Hope that's some help but contact me if you want any further pointers.

Gary
My photo website

dp559

Post by dp559 »

Hello all,

Just to put some meat on the bones regarding the Apache display this year. We are having a Blue Eagle Apache display at around five airshows this year with dates and venues still to be confirmed. For the first time it will be an operational aircraft flown by operational frontline pilots both of which have completed up to four tours of Afghanistan from 2006 to present, not instructors from Middle Wallop. Also we are not allowed to do true aerobatics as we are limited by our release to service,however, all manoeuvres upto 90 Degrees in pitch and roll can be performed up to 2g's. The aircraft is more than capable of performing rolls and loops with a combat load on and no the blades won't rip off the radar assembly! The display weight of the aircraft is under 15000lbs which gives excellent performance for the routine. The pilots have completed a rigorous selection and training process and have been practicing regularly, hence the pictures, (excellent by the way) which will hopefully give the public a good display and idea of the aircrafts capabilities. We look forward to displaying this season but due to displaying for the Taliban we are limited to just the five!

Hope this gives some clarity to some of the threads.