AAC Middle Wallop & RNAS Yeovilton (briefly) 20 March 2012

AAC Middle Wallop & RNAS Yeovilton (briefly) 20 March 2012

Postby lynothehammer on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 10:46 am

Decided to go to Yeovilton Museum with the old man, so with a 90+ mile trip there we were a little disappointed to say the least to find that the museum was closed on Monday & Tuesdays. EPIC Fail !

Stayed there for 1/2 hour whilst trying to work out what else was near by and caught these;

Image

Image

Image

Image

It was decided that we'd head home but stop into AAC Middle Wallop and have a look round the museum, to be fair the museum was quite good if not a little small. Once we'd had a look round the museum we stopped in the cafe (and had a great Green Thai Curry) whilst sat on the balcony we were treated to what looked like the AAC Apache Display for 2012, all I can say is it looks very impressive (never been that impressed with it before), he even spotted us and flew directly head on and gave us a bow (big thanks to the pilot for that too). Unfortunately my camera settings weren't set up right from where I'd been in the museum. Still pleased with some of the shots though, the weather was nice but lighting was a bit of a problem !

Plenty of movement there too including plenty of Apaches, Squirrrels, Scouts, Lynx, Tutors & Sea Kings.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

We weren't going to stop there long, with all the movement we were there for near on 5 hours !

Any C&C welcome !
User avatar
lynothehammer

Re: AAC Middle Wallop & RNAS Yeovilton (briefly) 20 March 20

Postby Orion on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 11:08 am

Very nice photos!

I'm planning to visit the museum on Thursday en route to the West Somerset Railway. Does the museum permit tripods?

Regards
David Mylchreest
Orion

Re: AAC Middle Wallop & RNAS Yeovilton (briefly) 20 March 20

Postby lynothehammer on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 11:17 am

Orion wrote:Very nice photos!

I'm planning to visit the museum on Thursday en route to the West Somerset Railway. Does the museum permit tripods?

Regards



No apparently it's all down to health and safety, monopods are fine though.
User avatar
lynothehammer

Re: AAC Middle Wallop & RNAS Yeovilton (briefly) 20 March 20

Postby RickIngham on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 11:24 am

BATUS Gazelle is a great catch. I'm reliably informed that the display practice was for an event later this evening not the 2012 Apache Display...
User avatar
RickIngham

Re: AAC Middle Wallop & RNAS Yeovilton (briefly) 20 March 20

Postby lynothehammer on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 11:36 am

RickIngham wrote:BATUS Gazelle is a great catch. I'm reliably informed that the display practice was for an event later this evening not the 2012 Apache Display...


Ahhh, thats a shame as it was probably the best display by an Apache i've seen. Cheers Rick for clearing that up though !
User avatar
lynothehammer

Re: AAC Middle Wallop & RNAS Yeovilton (briefly) 20 March 20

Postby RickIngham on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 11:38 am

Unless it develops into the official display! (Fingers crossed)
Forgot to say, Love the arctic Seaking with it's playmate - superb pic! :clap:
User avatar
RickIngham

Re: AAC Middle Wallop & RNAS Yeovilton (briefly) 20 March 20

Postby Orion on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 12:11 pm

lynothehammer wrote:
Orion wrote:Very nice photos!

I'm planning to visit the museum on Thursday en route to the West Somerset Railway. Does the museum permit tripods?

Regards



No apparently it's all down to health and safety, monopods are fine though.


Thanks, my monopod will have to do!

Regards
David Mylchreest
Orion

Re: AAC Middle Wallop & RNAS Yeovilton (briefly) 20 March 20

Postby RoverDriver on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 6:40 pm

m
Last edited by RoverDriver on Sun 08 Jul 2012, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoverDriver

Re: AAC Middle Wallop & RNAS Yeovilton (briefly) 20 March 20

Postby rich1876 on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 6:45 pm

Thought you may have been "one of us" as I saw you taking images of the scout.
I take my lunch break there as I work nearby.
rich1876

Re: AAC Middle Wallop & RNAS Yeovilton (briefly) 20 March 20

Postby lynothehammer on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 9:15 pm

rich1876 wrote:Thought you may have been "one of us" as I saw you taking images of the scout.
I take my lunch break there as I work nearby.


Yeah its the first time I've been there, will definately be going a bit more often. Hopefully next time i'll get my camera settings right ! :biggrin:
User avatar
lynothehammer

Re: AAC Middle Wallop & RNAS Yeovilton (briefly) 20 March 20

Postby Hellfire on Fri 23 Mar 2012, 11:15 pm

Nice stuff mate. The BATUS gazelle has been up a few times this week. Also good to see you getting a treat from the AH display. Wonderful hearing him every afternoon throwing it around. Was that the display over the airfield or the playing fields by the officers mess?
'Forgiveness is between them and God, It's my job to arrange the meeting.'
User avatar
Hellfire

Re: AAC Middle Wallop & RNAS Yeovilton (briefly) 20 March 20

Postby hornet on Sat 24 Mar 2012, 3:27 pm

Beautifull pictures of Seakings... :drool:
Just release the breaks and full afterburner on www.lerx.net !
User avatar
hornet

Re: AAC Middle Wallop & RNAS Yeovilton (briefly) 20 March 20

Postby lynothehammer on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 1:59 pm

Hellfire wrote:Nice stuff mate. The BATUS gazelle has been up a few times this week. Also good to see you getting a treat from the AH display. Wonderful hearing him every afternoon throwing it around. Was that the display over the airfield or the playing fields by the officers mess?


And he was proper throwing it about too, it was a bit of both I think. To start off with it was away from the airfield, when he noticed he had a camera on him I think he started showboating on the airfield ! ;)

Either way, very very impressive !
User avatar
lynothehammer

Re: AAC Middle Wallop & RNAS Yeovilton (briefly) 20 March 20

Postby Haskey on Mon 26 Mar 2012, 6:21 pm

If it's any consolation you're not the only one to drive there with a long journey to get there and find the museum closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. I did exactly the same thing a few weeks ago driving a 200 mile round trip to see it closed. I suppose I should have checked before I left but in all the years of going there and being a large museum assumed it to be open seven days a week. Obviously not. I then went to the Haynes car Museum just up the road which was open.

As for tripods I went back to Yeovilton museum a week later and used a tripod which is essential in the 'Carrier' exhibition. I don't think you would have much success with a monopod with a time exposure of 30 seconds. The staff saw me take it in and I was unchallenged in a total time of about 2.5 hours in there. Glad you managed to salvage something from the day with a visit to the airfield and Middle Wallop. Nice pictures by the way.

My Yeovilton pictures on the link below:

http://www.planepictures.net/xsearch.cg ... descending

Regards

Ian
Haskey

Re: AAC Middle Wallop & RNAS Yeovilton (briefly) 20 March 20

Postby Hellfire on Tue 27 Mar 2012, 7:00 pm

lynothehammer wrote:
Hellfire wrote:Nice stuff mate. The BATUS gazelle has been up a few times this week. Also good to see you getting a treat from the AH display. Wonderful hearing him every afternoon throwing it around. Was that the display over the airfield or the playing fields by the officers mess?


And he was proper throwing it about too, it was a bit of both I think. To start off with it was away from the airfield, when he noticed he had a camera on him I think he started showboating on the airfield ! ;)

Either way, very very impressive !

There was an event on that day, or the evening after that required the extra low demo, however having seen the display working down from high to medium alt it looks good for this season, sounds much better too I'm sure you'll agree :wink:
'Forgiveness is between them and God, It's my job to arrange the meeting.'
User avatar
Hellfire


Return to Modern Military Photos

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], MerlinPaul and 13 guests