AAC Middle Wallop & RNAS Yeovilton (briefly) 20 March 2012

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
lynothehammer

AAC Middle Wallop & RNAS Yeovilton (briefly) 20 March 2012

Post by lynothehammer »

Decided to go to Yeovilton Museum with the old man, so with a 90+ mile trip there we were a little disappointed to say the least to find that the museum was closed on Monday & Tuesdays. EPIC Fail !

Stayed there for 1/2 hour whilst trying to work out what else was near by and caught these;

It was decided that we'd head home but stop into AAC Middle Wallop and have a look round the museum, to be fair the museum was quite good if not a little small. Once we'd had a look round the museum we stopped in the cafe (and had a great Green Thai Curry) whilst sat on the balcony we were treated to what looked like the AAC Apache Display for 2012, all I can say is it looks very impressive (never been that impressed with it before), he even spotted us and flew directly head on and gave us a bow (big thanks to the pilot for that too). Unfortunately my camera settings weren't set up right from where I'd been in the museum. Still pleased with some of the shots though, the weather was nice but lighting was a bit of a problem !

Plenty of movement there too including plenty of Apaches, Squirrrels, Scouts, Lynx, Tutors & Sea Kings.

We weren't going to stop there long, with all the movement we were there for near on 5 hours !

Any C&C welcome !

Orion

Re: AAC Middle Wallop & RNAS Yeovilton (briefly) 20 March 20

Post by Orion »

Very nice photos!

I'm planning to visit the museum on Thursday en route to the West Somerset Railway. Does the museum permit tripods?

Regards

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Orion wrote:Very nice photos!

I'm planning to visit the museum on Thursday en route to the West Somerset Railway. Does the museum permit tripods?

Regards

No apparently it's all down to health and safety, monopods are fine though.

RickIngham

Post by RickIngham »

BATUS Gazelle is a great catch. I'm reliably informed that the display practice was for an event later this evening not the 2012 Apache Display...

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

RickIngham wrote:BATUS Gazelle is a great catch. I'm reliably informed that the display practice was for an event later this evening not the 2012 Apache Display...

Ahhh, thats a shame as it was probably the best display by an Apache i've seen. Cheers Rick for clearing that up though !

RickIngham

Post by RickIngham »

Unless it develops into the official display! (Fingers crossed)
Forgot to say, Love the arctic Seaking with it's playmate - superb pic! :clap:

Orion

Post by Orion »

lynothehammer wrote:
Orion wrote:Very nice photos!

Regards

No apparently it's all down to health and safety, monopods are fine though.

Thanks, my monopod will have to do!

Regards

RoverDriver

Post by RoverDriver »

m
Last edited by RoverDriver on Sun 08 Jul 2012, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rich1876

Post by rich1876 »

Thought you may have been "one of us" as I saw you taking images of the scout.
I take my lunch break there as I work nearby.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

rich1876 wrote:Thought you may have been "one of us" as I saw you taking images of the scout.
I take my lunch break there as I work nearby.

Yeah its the first time I've been there, will definately be going a bit more often. Hopefully next time i'll get my camera settings right ! :biggrin:

Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

Nice stuff mate. The BATUS gazelle has been up a few times this week. Also good to see you getting a treat from the AH display. Wonderful hearing him every afternoon throwing it around. Was that the display over the airfield or the playing fields by the officers mess?

hornet

Post by hornet »

Beautifull pictures of Seakings... :drool:
Just release the breaks and full afterburner on www.lerx.net !

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Hellfire wrote:Nice stuff mate. The BATUS gazelle has been up a few times this week. Also good to see you getting a treat from the AH display. Wonderful hearing him every afternoon throwing it around. Was that the display over the airfield or the playing fields by the officers mess?

And he was proper throwing it about too, it was a bit of both I think. To start off with it was away from the airfield, when he noticed he had a camera on him I think he started showboating on the airfield ! ;)

Either way, very very impressive !

Haskey

Post by Haskey »

If it's any consolation you're not the only one to drive there with a long journey to get there and find the museum closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. I did exactly the same thing a few weeks ago driving a 200 mile round trip to see it closed. I suppose I should have checked before I left but in all the years of going there and being a large museum assumed it to be open seven days a week. Obviously not. I then went to the Haynes car Museum just up the road which was open.

As for tripods I went back to Yeovilton museum a week later and used a tripod which is essential in the 'Carrier' exhibition. I don't think you would have much success with a monopod with a time exposure of 30 seconds. The staff saw me take it in and I was unchallenged in a total time of about 2.5 hours in there. Glad you managed to salvage something from the day with a visit to the airfield and Middle Wallop. Nice pictures by the way.

My Yeovilton pictures on the link below:

http://www.planepictures.net/xsearch.cg ... descending

Regards

Ian

Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

lynothehammer wrote:
Hellfire wrote:Nice stuff mate. The BATUS gazelle has been up a few times this week. Also good to see you getting a treat from the AH display. Wonderful hearing him every afternoon throwing it around. Was that the display over the airfield or the playing fields by the officers mess?

And he was proper throwing it about too, it was a bit of both I think. To start off with it was away from the airfield, when he noticed he had a camera on him I think he started showboating on the airfield ! ;)

Either way, very very impressive !

There was an event on that day, or the evening after that required the extra low demo, however having seen the display working down from high to medium alt it looks good for this season, sounds much better too I'm sure you'll agree :wink: