Base visit to RAF Lakenheath

Base visit to RAF Lakenheath

Postby HertsAviationSociety on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 8:54 am

Hi All,

Some pictures from another one of our base visits, this time to RAF Lakenheath.

HertsAviationSociety

Re: Base visit to RAF Lakenheath

Postby JackyRIATWilson on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 10:33 am

Some great shots there :clap: I just enquired to Lakenheath about a base visit and the unfortunate answer was that I had to be in a group of 15 or more, so at the moment that is out of the question. As is another thing, but let's not talk about that. :sad:

Can I just ask, how close do you actually get to go to the F-15? I managed about 3ft at RIAT this year, would loved to have had a proper look round.
JackyRIATWilson

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 6:43 pm

Nice set - would love to go on another of these tours, the vantage point from the tower is awesome. Wasn't on the schedule last time I visited, we went to Donutland instead! :lol:

JackyRIATWilson wrote:Some great shots there :clap: I just enquired to Lakenheath about a base visit and the unfortunate answer was that I had to be in a group of 15 or more, so at the moment that is out of the question. As is another thing, but let's not talk about that. :sad:

Can I just ask, how close do you actually get to go to the F-15? I managed about 3ft at RIAT this year, would loved to have had a proper look round.

I did tell you there was a minimum requirement (as do the documents).

IIRC, the last tour I went on it was no closer than 10ft for photos, although you were able to get as close as you wanted for a look around. You could climb the ladder to look at the cockpit and ask questions to the crew too. Looks to be roped off at a similar distance in these photos?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby Stu on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 6:54 pm

Some nice Hangar shots :clap:
Olympus Cameras

UBC780XLT
DJ-X10
DJ-X3
Planeplotter
Stu

Postby DaveI on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 7:48 pm

The crew with the F-15 to the left of the KC10 were showing visitors around the aircraft and even taking pics with them, should have asked? Maybe next year!
Dave I

"In Shallah"
DaveI

Postby HertsAviationSociety on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 7:54 pm

Thank you for the comments guys. We were quiet lucky in that there was no minimum limit this time, we could get as close as we wanted.

Cheers,

Paul
HertsAviationSociety

Postby JackyRIATWilson on Sat 11 Aug 2012, 11:08 am

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Nice set - would love to go on another of these tours, the vantage point from the tower is awesome. Wasn't on the schedule last time I visited, we went to Donutland instead! :lol:

JackyRIATWilson wrote:Some great shots there :clap: I just enquired to Lakenheath about a base visit and the unfortunate answer was that I had to be in a group of 15 or more, so at the moment that is out of the question. As is another thing, but let's not talk about that. :sad:

I did tell you there was a minimum requirement (as do the documents).

IIRC, the last tour I went on it was no closer than 10ft for photos, although you were able to get as close as you wanted for a look around. You could climb the ladder to look at the cockpit and ask questions to the crew too. Looks to be roped off at a similar distance in these photos?

Oops, must have missed that. :oops:

DaveI wrote:

The crew with the F-15 to the left of the KC10 were showing visitors around the aircraft and even taking pics with them, should have asked? Maybe next year!

I did manage to get close to it, just at that time the pilot was busy being grilled by some Belgians and the rear seater couldn't get a word in edgeways through, so I didn't get a proper look round. :sad: Still, rather have got close and a picture than not at all!
JackyRIATWilson

Return to Modern Military Photos