Visit to USN aircraft carrier CVN-77 George HW Bush

Visit to USN aircraft carrier CVN-77 George HW Bush

Postby sovietjet on Sat 22 Nov 2014, 6:31 am

In June I had the opportunity to visit the aircraft carrier CVN-77 George HW Bush during it s deployment in the middle east with airwing 8 CVW-8. This is the newest carrier in the USN fleet and only on its second deployment. What made this visit important was that this was the last ever deployment of the EA-6B Prowler. The squadron VAQ-134 "Garudas" is the last USN electronic attack squadron to operate the type. The ship just returned home last week and those last Prowlers with VAQ-134 will be the last ones with the US Navy. Of course, the Marines will operate them for some years to come. I tried to get as many angles as possible. Already filtered a lot of images out but still ended up with a lot so sorry for the huge post. I tend to have a hard time picking favorites so my posts always end up long.

Ivan Voukadinov
sovietjet

Re: Visit to USN aircraft carrier CVN-77 George HW Bush

Postby ciaranchef on Sat 22 Nov 2014, 9:39 am

Outstanding set!
"It is generally inadvisable to eject over the area you just bombed"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ciaranchef/
ciaranchef

Postby Blackbird on Sat 22 Nov 2014, 9:48 am

I can forgive you the length of the post!! Superb set :clap: :clap:

A fantastic opportunity well captured.

Andy :smile:
Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Postby Ledhead27 on Sat 22 Nov 2014, 9:54 am

Thank you for sharing this amazing set of images, good to see a few shots of the Prowler before it bows out after its amazing service with the USN
"FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, DroneMan Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes
Ledhead27
UKAR Staff

Postby alizam on Sat 22 Nov 2014, 10:13 am

brilliant!
alizam

Postby Niallxg on Sat 22 Nov 2014, 10:36 am

Superb set. Very jealous.

Question - any explanation for the $20 bills on the ops table?

Niall
Niallxg

Postby reheat module on Sat 22 Nov 2014, 1:30 pm

Simply brilliant.
Great opportunity excellently captured.
Loved them all.
Canon systems
reheat module

Postby AlexC on Sat 22 Nov 2014, 5:33 pm

Great set of shots! Can't help feeling sorry for Lt. Adam Peters though. No 'Maverick', 'Joker', or 'Viper' etc. for him....no, he's 'Landfill'!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Talldan76 on Sat 22 Nov 2014, 7:28 pm

Wow... What a set!

Think we can excuse you for the number of photos in the post!

Dan
Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Postby timuss on Sat 22 Nov 2014, 9:33 pm

Oh wow to cool great set :clap: :clap:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Postby Arno 01 on Sat 22 Nov 2014, 10:39 pm

Ivan, outstanding, best 'on-board' set for a few years, thank you for sharing with us. :clap: :yahoo:
Arno 01

Postby lynothehammer on Sun 23 Nov 2014, 7:12 am

Great set of photos... Jealous ? Me ? Noooooooo of course not, well ok maybe just a tad... ;)
lynothehammer

Postby john001 on Sun 23 Nov 2014, 8:12 am

I guess I will be accused of being jealous but why not turn this great opportunity into a great set of pictures by doing some post processing on the highlights and shadows?
john001

Postby sovietjet on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 12:59 am

Thanks for the comments guys!

Niallxg wrote:Superb set. Very jealous.

Niall

No idea about the $20 bills. Probably should've asked when I was there but I had so many other questions on my mind :oops:

john001 wrote:I guess I will be accused of being jealous but why not turn this great opportunity into a great set of pictures by doing some post processing on the highlights and shadows?

What do you mean? Which photos do you have in mind here?
Ivan Voukadinov
sovietjet

Postby Stagger2 on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 2:19 am

And there was me, thinking this set of images are some of the most realistic shot from a Carrier as I have ever seen! I, like most everybody else will never witness this epic show for real & would therefore commend Ivan for the diversity & thought that is displayed in those shots. Excellent effort & well done to you.
Could they stand a touch of post-processing?..possibly. Do they need to be messed with?...not to my eye & clearly not to the OP. :clap:
Stagger2

Postby john001 on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 7:27 am

OK - the bottom line is that if the OP likes them that way it does not matter a stuff what anyone else thinks.

But for me on many of them (not all and obviously not the evening or silhouette shots) the light is harsh (nothing you can do about that) but that can be balanced up a bit in post processing. That does not mean they are not good or great photos just that for me they could be better.

Not referring to this set but there is a reason why some of the pictures on the forum are better than others when they have been taken at the same place on the same day and at locations with yards of each other and with adequate equipment - the suppliers are PP experts and there are not many pictures that have been taken that could not be improved by them.
john001

Postby funkygib on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 10:30 am

Great stuff !
I particularly like the Prowler taking the wire but so many great pictures to choose from :clap:
Nikon D5100, 18-55mm VR, 55-300mm VR
These are my photos, there are many like them but these are mine.
funkygib

Postby bigcrow on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 2:22 pm

A great set, it's an amazing experience being on an operational carrier isn't it? I wouldn't worry about the knockers about your post-processing they look fine maybe a touch more saturation & contrast on a few of the take-offs but overall a lovely selection.
bigcrow

Postby Worldnis on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 4:36 pm

Quality set! Looks like you covered all the angles on the deck beautifully.
Middle East and Med cruises tend to be harsh lighting, but hey, subjects and composition are top notch.
Prepare for the next mission, Darling.
Worldnis

Postby sovietjet on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 5:28 pm

OK, I understand now. I appreciate the feedback. Midday sun in June in the Persian Gulf is not the best, and I can't exactly tell the ship to turn such that I get the best light. Given that, I was actually lucky that in almost all cases I was not shooting backlit photos. However my post processing skills are pretty limited. I do some basic contrast and levels, NR if needed, saturation, sharpening. I have no idea how to do some of the stuff I see people post on here. As for shadows/highlights which was mentioned, I tend to avoid that tool because then I get a bunch of halos and those look even worse. Without mentioning names, I see some people who post here whose photos look way too overprocessed. I guess everyone has their own workflow.
Ivan Voukadinov
sovietjet

Postby john001 on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 6:24 pm

sovietjet wrote:OK, I understand now. I appreciate the feedback. Midday sun in June in the Persian Gulf is not the best, and I can't exactly tell the ship to turn such that I get the best light. Given that, I was actually lucky that in almost all cases I was not shooting backlit photos. However my post processing skills are pretty limited. I do some basic contrast and levels, NR if needed, saturation, sharpening. I have no idea how to do some of the stuff I see people post on here. As for shadows/highlights which was mentioned, I tend to avoid that tool because then I get a bunch of halos and those look even worse. Without mentioning names, I see some people who post here whose photos look way too overprocessed. I guess everyone has their own workflow.

I agree with you that some are over processed! But if you shoot RAW when you first import them in ACR and make adjustments to the shadows etc in that you will not get halos etc.

If you regularly want to produce top pictures it is worth getting to know what you already mention and the tools I mention - you don't need to know all of it just the basics they can make a big difference. The best pictures on here don't use much more than these.

Anyway - thanks for posting really interesting...
john001

Postby bigcrow on Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:29 am

sovietjet wrote:Thanks for the comments guys!

Niallxg wrote:Superb set. Very jealous.

Niall

No idea about the $20 bills. Probably should've asked when I was there but I had so many other questions on my mind :oops:

The $20 bills that are placed on the 'Ouija Board' are due to fines that Sailors incurred for knocking, bumping or touching the Ouija Board from the Aircraft Handling Officer.
bigcrow

Postby Fumbles on Wed 26 Nov 2014, 1:28 am

Awesome set of shots from a great time out... I don't blame you for posting so many..... I would too! :grin: One of the shots that I like most and it is not even an aircraft.... The Catapult shot! and I'm not joking, it really is a different neat shot!
Fumbles

Postby MigF4 on Wed 26 Nov 2014, 8:19 am

Ivan, outstanding work buddy, best 'on-board' set for a few years, thank you for sharing with us....seems I need to goo back one day too :rock: :up:

Cheers
Mick
Cheers,
Mick

The sky is no limit.....visit: www.mbaviation-images.com
MigF4

Return to Modern Military Photos