Shooting low level in Death Valley, California

Shooting low level in Death Valley, California

Postby 197cup on Sat 04 Apr 2015, 6:10 am

Hello everyone, A dream come true in early March of this year. My Uncles and I spent a day and a half in a place called Rainbow canyon, The pilots call it the Jedi Transition. If you type into Google maps Father Crowley Vista it'll show you where it is. In the day and a half we spent there we had 11 passes.
Here's a panorama of the area, 90% of the aircraft run left to right.
ImageRainbow canyon low fly area. by R.S. Photography, Thanks for 1 million+ views, on Flickr

11th March 2015
15:00 - 16:45
16:31 - F-16DM ED

12th March 2015
8:30 - 19:00
10:49 - F/A-18F Super Hornet VX-31 223
10:56 - 2x F-15C California ANG
11:41 - Harrier
11:49 - C-12C Huron AFMC
12:23 - F/A-18E Super Hornet VFA-122 276
15:19 - T-38 ED
15:30 - T-38 ED
18:24 - F/A-18E VFA-137 211
18:25 - F/A-18E VFA-137 203
18:52 - F/A-18F VFA-41 106

The weather on the first day was high overcast and on the morning of the second day it was very windy, Which is why i cocked up the shots of the C-12 and Harrier. Well I was trapped in the boot of our rental car when the Harrier went passed :'( :lol: .
Anyway here's some shots:
1. F-16D From Edwards AFB, This really sneaked up on us.
ImageEdwards Viper by R.S. Photography, Thanks for 1 million+ views, on Flickr
2. First up on the Thursday was this Super Hornet from NAWS China Lake.
ImageF/A-18F from NAWS China Lake by R.S. Photography, Thanks for 1 million+ views, on Flickr
ImageF/A-18F from NAWS China Lake by R.S. Photography, Thanks for 1 million+ views, on Flickr
4. These boys sneaked up on us as they came from the oppisite direction to the others, The first Eagle gave it the beans exiting the Canyon though :clap:
ImageF-15C Eagle CA ANG by R.S. Photography, Thanks for 1 million+ views, on Flickr
ImageGiving it the beans!! by R.S. Photography, Thanks for 1 million+ views, on Flickr
ImageRhino low level by R.S. Photography, Thanks for 1 million+ views, on Flickr
ImageF/A-18E Super Hornet VFA-122 "Flying Eagles" by R.S. Photography, Thanks for 1 million+ views, on Flickr
7. It was nice to see an ED T-38, Both passes was high.
ImageEdwards Talon by R.S. Photography, Thanks for 1 million+ views, on Flickr
8. Next up was a pretty special moment, We were due to leave at about 6:15 but my Uncles suggested they go for one last walk up to the end of the track which runs along the edge of the canyon, I said if anything comes I'll sound the horn. Well, 10 minutes after they started there walk a Super Hornet appeared above the hill and immediately sounded the horn and got in position ready for the pass.
9. 3 Hours of nothing then this
ImageF/A-18E Super Hornet from VFA-137 by R.S. Photography, Thanks for 1 million+ views, on Flickr
ImageF/A-18E Super Hornet from VFA-137 by R.S. Photography, Thanks for 1 million+ views, on Flickr
12. There's two :Wow: , Here's his mate
ImageSuper Hornet low level by R.S. Photography, Thanks for 1 million+ views, on Flickr
13. To finish the day off we had a pass from VFA-41 "Black Aces" from NAS Lemoore
ImageIncoming!!!!! by R.S. Photography, Thanks for 1 million+ views, on Flickr
ImageIncoming!!!!! by R.S. Photography, Thanks for 1 million+ views, on Flickr
ImageF/A-18F Super Hornet low level in Death Valley by R.S. Photography, Thanks for 1 million+ views, on Flickr
ImageF/A-18F Super Hornet low level in Death Valley by R.S. Photography, Thanks for 1 million+ views, on Flickr
Thanks for looking :thumb:
197cup

Re: Shooting low level in Death Valley, California

Postby Harlequin67 on Sat 04 Apr 2015, 7:14 am

No. 6 is a belter. The sense of movement, the jetwash and the background do it for me
Harlequin67
UKAR Supporter

Postby Ledhead27 on Sat 04 Apr 2015, 4:07 pm

Belting shots, some very interesting angles! Shame about missing the Harrier but these shots more than make up for it
"FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, DroneMan Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes
Ledhead27
UKAR Staff

Postby Offbreed on Sat 04 Apr 2015, 6:06 pm

Great shots, nice to see there are places in the US to view low level flying, did you see any rattlesnakes slithering about.
Offbreed

Postby 197cup on Tue 07 Apr 2015, 2:42 pm

Thanks for the kind comments :smile: , we didn't see any Rattlers or any other snakes for that matter only little lizards.
197cup

Return to Modern Military Photos