Coningsby PDA 2015

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
st24

Coningsby PDA 2015

Post by st24 »

Well I've broken the habit of a lifetime and edited some pics within 6 months of them being taken! Went to fightertown UK yesterday to view the PDAs with the added bonus of some colour being on view for a change and some decent weather. The morning provided an opportunity to view the locals who were busy and so a good range of units were out and about.

6 Yeh Tiffies make noise but nothing much stands up to the chest bursting grunt of 2 RB199s with the volume turned up! :rock:

7 Glad to bag the 11 Sqn special in good light, not totally taken with the fin design though..

8 Can't say as I recall seeing a 41Sqn twin stick

10 At 1pm, the main event. Multiple BBMF displays (I think the Dak went up 293 times in total) which can never be a bad thing but oh to have had the Lanc and P7350 too, aah well.. Solo tiff had a moment and cut his display after the fast pass and then picked up again - speaking of which I see AOC 1 Group tweeted that BBMF were a "go" but nothing re the Tiff?? Anyone know? Felt very under lensed and am not entirely happy with the flying shots..
Perfection - a solid synchro display that will be a sure hit on the scene, mores the pity that in such a significant year they are doing so few shows. These guys need to be everywhere!
Nice, very nice- bravo RAF.
With a BoB schemed Tiffie, perhaps we should have a modern lo-viz grey Spit to complement it?!?!

A most enjoyable day that kind of reminded me we actually do have a RAF and we can be immensely proud of everything they've done/do. :worship:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

CameronSys

Re: Coningsby PDA 2015

Post by CameronSys »

Very nice, sharp photos! Well done!

Cameron

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Shot 3 makes me regret not heading up to the corner, lovely angle for the Typhoon! :clap:
I also noticed the lack of publicity for the Typhoon achieving PDA... so I have come to the same conclusion as you. :ninja: I wonder when the re-scheduled event for Typhoon & Lancaster will be..?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I noticed a foul up in the four position roll during the typhoon display.

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

Im not liking the orientation of PZ865's tailwheel!
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

st24

Post by st24 »

Thanks all.

PeterR wrote:Shot 3 makes me regret not heading up to the corner, lovely angle for the Typhoon! :clap:
I also noticed the lack of publicity for the Typhoon achieving PDA... so I have come to the same conclusion as you. :ninja: I wonder when the re-scheduled event for Typhoon & Lancaster will be..?

I thought I heard 5 May for the Lanc - or did I just make that up?? Yes, a bit odd re the Tiffy - it all went very quiet on Twitter following the pre PDA build up.

boff180 wrote:I noticed a foul up in the four position roll during the typhoon display.

I didn't pick up on that - what was the issue?? I presume he just had a senior moment after his fast pass as he should then 9g it round the bend into the inverted push but backed out, re-positioned and picked up his display with another fast pass, before and after that it looked fine but it's hard to tell when you're underneath the display. Interesting to note no central tank this year.

8674planes wrote:Im not liking the orientation of PZ865's tailwheel!

Indeed, but she landed okay... :sweat:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

As he transitioned from the first knife edge stage of the hesitation roll to inverted he momentarily pitched nose down and lost a bit of altitude before recovering to level flight as he completed the portion of the manoeuvre. I'm sure someone will have it on video.

It wasn't major but certainly did not look normal.

st24

Post by st24 »

boff180 wrote:As he transitioned from the first knife edge stage of the hesitation roll to inverted he momentarily pitched nose down and lost a bit of altitude before recovering to level flight as he completed the portion of the manoeuvre. I'm sure someone will have it on video.

It wasn't major but certainly did not look normal.

Hmm, okay can't recall that myself, perhaps you had a better vantage point - were you on the mound??

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Some lovely shots there, have never got to Coningsby, will need to re-dress that at some point :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)