Monte Réal Air Base, Portugal 27/10/16

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
A380_sully

Monte Réal Air Base, Portugal 27/10/16

Post by A380_sully »

A business trip combined with anti-social Easyjet flight times meant I had the best part of a day spare before my return to the UK, so I decided to take look at Monte Réal Air Base, which is approximately 90 minutes north of Lisbon.

Unsure of spotting vantage points, I put out requests for information, to which I received some information about the difficulties photographing from outside the base due to the abundance of trees and size of land on which it is sited. These proved accurate and generally the north end of the runway is the only decent area, which given the runway orientation of directly north-south means many of the landing shots are somewhat backlit if you are attempting touch down shots or take off shots. I found the farmers ring wells handy to stand on with the aid of leaning against the pump house, just be careful not to fall in, but they do give you a shot over the barbed wire. There is a clearing in the forest south of the runway which I scoped out, but this will only give you access to approach shots from the south and not much notice at that. The east of the airfield is buildings and the west is forest tracks, which whilst I endeavoured to navigate the tracks looking for shots of the F16's outside their HAAS, only led to a temporarily stuck hire car and very limited viewing spots (not worth the sweat and toil of trying to free the car)

The other advice I received was to be careful photographing the jets in a foreign country, but I e-mailed the Air Force PR department ahead and received a nice return e-mail thanking me for notifying them of my intentions and also giving me green light to photograph as much as I liked and that the military personnel were aware of my presence. This was true when I spoke to one Military police who asked me if I was Kelvin & what it was like in Manchester?

The weather was hazy and a local farmer was burning his last crop field, which when, combined with an airfield crosswind made for somewhat bright milky skies and difficult exposure compensation.

That said, its worth a visit, the legacy jets at the main gate are nicely positioned, plus I promised a mini report upon my return, so on with the images.....

1). Image

2). Image

3). Image

4). Image

5). Image

6). Image

7). Image

8. Image

9). Image

10). Image

11). Image

12). Image

13). Image

14). Image

15). Image

16). Image

17). Image

18). Image

19). Image

20). Image

21). Image

Thanks for looking, C&C welcomed as always,

Cheers, Kelvin
Last edited by A380_sully on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jetnoise

Re: Monte Réal Air Base, Portugal 27/10/16

Post by Jetnoise »

Hi Kelvin,

I do not know if you are aware, but you managed to catch one of the Romanian F-16s before delivery - 15127 (your shot No. 9).

Cheers,
Ralph
www.ralphluntphotography.com
www.jetnoise.co.uk
There's only one way to skin a cat - with a very sharp knife.

D90Man

Post by D90Man »

Nice set..and lots of useful info...

Leon
"Sharpness is in the eye of the holder"
More at http://www.planephotos.org.uk

A380_sully

Post by A380_sully »

Jetnoise wrote:Hi Kelvin,

I do not know if you are aware, but you managed to catch one of the Romanian F-16s before delivery - 15127 (your shot No. 9).

Cheers,
Ralph

You are correct Ralph, F16 15127 is destined for Romanian Air Force, at the time they were using it as the aggressor for the sortie and the way he flew it like he'd stole it, I think he was having a fun time with it (I guess its now a bit like a hire plane). He performed several rapid descent approaches and T&G's which were great to watch.

st24

Post by st24 »

Sabre is the pick for me - stunning... :drool:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Spotter21

Post by Spotter21 »

Hello from Portugal.

Nice to see a lot of good photos from "my" air base.

The 15127 and 15128 should be for Romanian Air Force, in a few months.

Regards

Jorge Ruivo

A380_sully

Post by A380_sully »

Spotter21 wrote:Hello from Portugal.

Nice to see a lot of good photos from "my" air base.

The 15127 and 15128 should be for Romanian Air Force, in a few months.

Regards

Jorge Ruivo

Thanks Jorge, I guess the question will now be whether Real Thaw 2017 is Monté Real or Beja, either way I hope to be there for it next year, if you're there it would be nice to say hello in person!

Regards, Kelvin

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Fantastic photos of some real hens teeth - especially the Romanian pre-delivery jets which is a superb catch.

Very smart to email the Air Force beforehand - we've all heard those stories of people getting in trouble but it sounds like they're amenable to it if you're sensible. Love the sound of being asked if you're Kevin! :clap: :clap:
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Roellodder

Post by Roellodder »

Hello Spotter 21,
Can you tell me how many F-16's the Romanian air force get????
Cheers
Roel

barkin mad

Post by barkin mad »

Roellodder wrote:Hello Spotter 21,
Can you tell me how many F-16's the Romanian air force get????
Cheers
Roel

It's to be 12. 9 F-16A models and 3 B's

----------------

A380_sully

Post by A380_sully »

Cheers Gents, I've added a couple more and replaced a few as I realised that Lightroom had not exported as sRGB and the images had come out dark compared to PC screen. Regards, Kelvin

mirage 69

Post by mirage 69 »

Very nice set!
Are the Preserved ones also taken from outside the fence?

Grtz Rene

A380_sully

Post by A380_sully »

René,

Yes. They have erected large earth mound along the boundary fence to seclude the base from some apartment and office blocks which blocks off the view to the legacy jets. But after talking with the gate guard staff, they had no problem with me climbing onto the mound to shoot over the fence.

Cheers, Kelvin

mirage 69

Post by mirage 69 »

Thanks Kelvin!