QF-4 Retirement ceremony at Holloman AFB sneak peak.

QF-4 Retirement ceremony at Holloman AFB sneak peak.

Postby Fumbles on Wed 28 Dec 2016, 4:26 pm

December 21st 2016... I was fortunate enough to visit Holloman AFB in New Mexico for the very last QF-4 flight. The day with sadly a heavy back lit overcast made photography very difficult. But just being there for the event was worth the long trip. The day was to consist of a four ship doing a few flypasts starting with a supersonic pass. That pass! That pass caught everyone off guard as the four ship snuck up on everyone from behind. The laughs as everyones hearts were pounding afterwards will stay with me forever. This post is just a sneak peak of the day.. It'll take some time to edit the shots as I said.. Photography was difficult in the conditions, there were times when I was shooting at 800ISO! So for now.. four shots of the day and a video of the very last 4 ship QF-4 taxi. I'll do up a mini report when the shots are done.

As always Comments and Criticism always welcome good or bad.

1 First up is a Video but you have to click the picture to see it... Not sure how to link the actual video from Flickr..
Image20161221_084326 by Rod McDonough, on Flickr

ImageIMGP5128 by Rod McDonough, on Flickr

ImageIMGP5574 by Rod McDonough, on Flickr

ImageIMGP5622 by Rod McDonough, on Flickr

5 We even had a drone keeping an eye on us.... :ghost:
ImageIMGP5151 by Rod McDonough, on Flickr
Fumbles
UKAR Staff

Re: QF-4 Retirement ceremony at Holloman AFB sneak peak.

Postby Stagger2 on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 2:37 am

A real shame the weather didn't oblige, but great to be there for the occasion! You did well with this first batch & I'm looking phorward to the others!
Phantastic!!
Stagger2

Postby Skyflash on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 10:22 am

I'm so pleased that someone from here made it to this event, and your photos look great. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest as and when you have time to sort through them. :clap:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...
Skyflash

Postby Spiny Norman on Sat 31 Dec 2016, 7:52 am

Historic day, nice to see images from it. Number 3 is a great angle.
Spiny Norman

Return to Modern Military Photos