DACT 2017, Gando AB, Gran Canaria

Re: DACT 2017, Gando AB, Gran Canaria

Postby DOUGHNUT on Mon 30 Jan 2017, 11:00 am

Nice images Mark

A couple quick questions.
How accessible is Gando AB from outside for photography on approach, both ends of the runway look open, and are the authorities happy so long as your not at the fence.
Is it fair to assume the civil airlines use the western runway and the military use the Eastern side, or is it flexible.
and finally a question open to all
How busy is Gando during the rest of the year, apart from exercises. Are we talking two or three military flights each day or maybe they only fly three days each week ?

Thanks in advance, Paul
DOUGHNUT

Postby capercaillie on Mon 30 Jan 2017, 11:07 am

Some lovely Spanish Hornets there :up: liking the specials but some lovely topsides as well. :clap:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby Ewart on Mon 30 Jan 2017, 11:46 am

Great shots.

Number 3 is a stunner!
Ewart

Postby iaint on Mon 30 Jan 2017, 11:50 am

Fantastic stuff Mark, the whole set is wonderful but number 3 wins for me though! :shock:
Ah, but more importantly, WIBAR?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/
iaint
UKAR Staff

Postby st24 on Mon 30 Jan 2017, 11:58 am

Very nice, always fancied doing this as I do like Gran Canaria. Good to see the based birds getting 46Gr markings back. Great set all round.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby toom317 on Mon 30 Jan 2017, 1:10 pm

Some cracking images there. I'm not a fan of pics with bits of aircraft cropped/missing, but now and again you get a cracker, and that Hornet in pic 3 is nice.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Postby A380_sully on Mon 30 Jan 2017, 4:40 pm

Wow, what a set. It took me a while to get past no.3 and then to stop myself going back to it.

Loved the shots and thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Kelvin
A380_sully

Postby nellis6 on Mon 30 Jan 2017, 5:29 pm

DOUGHNUT wrote:Nice images Mark

A couple quick questions.
How accessible is Gando AB from outside for photography on approach, both ends of the runway look open, and are the authorities happy so long as your not at the fence.
Is it fair to assume the civil airlines use the western runway and the military use the Eastern side, or is it flexible.
and finally a question open to all
How busy is Gando during the rest of the year, apart from exercises. Are we talking two or three military flights each day or maybe they only fly three days each week ?

Thanks in advance, Paul

It's easy to photograph from outside and authorities are no problem. I was also there last week, both inside and outside. I was also there back in September, you will not get hassled. As to military flights, it's hit and miss. FA-18 missions normally flown morning and afternoon, could be 2 flights of 2 aircraft, both AM and PM, could be just one flight of 2, it varies! As to the CASA's and AS.332s, again hit and miss. Gando does get a fair amount of visiting military aircraft, sometimes nice ones. Last week there was a French EC.160 Gabriel. Personally I wouldn't plan on spending a whole day there unless you like airliners!
Mike Green
Editor, Jetwash Aviation Photos
http://www.jetwashaviationphotos.com
nellis6

Postby DOUGHNUT on Tue 31 Jan 2017, 3:37 pm

Thanks for the info. As it happens I do like airliners and have spent many happy holiday hours at Tenerife and Majorca :grin:
DOUGHNUT

Postby urkles on Tue 31 Jan 2017, 3:59 pm

Cheers everyone, as Mike says it is easy to shoot at the airport, but only from one end
urkles

Postby exdraken on Fri 03 Feb 2017, 3:55 pm

great photos!

wonder how hte match Aim-9P against Iris-T ended!

Canarian winter sun, spectacular!

Estupendo!
exdraken

Return to Modern Military Photos