Lossiemouth Joint Warrior 17-1 (image heavy)

Lossiemouth Joint Warrior 17-1 (image heavy)

Postby HeyfordDave111 on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 8:37 am

Spent the first week of the annual JW 17-1 at RAF Lossiemouth, as per the last 3 years.
Unfortunately due to the format changing this year it was a shadow of its previous self, which saw visitors from Turkish F-16's for 16-1 and Portugese F-16's for 16-2.

Although this made a big difference, the largest was the fact that no Tornado's flew (apart from the Friday beat up and flypast by Marham Tonkas) as 15 squadron had all but gone by then, leaving the mainstay of operations down to the based Typhoons.
These in themselves have started to have their squadron markings removed, so any individuality was almost non existent.

Visitors to Lossie during Monday to Friday included 5 x P-8's, 2 x P-3's, 1 x Atlantique, 2 x Seaking, 2 x Wildcats, 4 x Tornado's, 1 x CASA 295 and 1 x Beach 350!

As for the exercise, as usual the MPA's were out for hours, and only the Typhoons gave continuous 'excitement'.
I know they are not there to pander to the enthusiast, and its a shame we didnt know the MPA only attendance 2-3 months earlier as hotels had to be booked and often paid for up front.

In retrospect, i wouldn't have attended if i hadn't financially committed, and i'd have gone to Holland for Frisian Flag instead.

Friday had the XV squadron disbandment, and 5 Tornado's came up for the flyby, airfield attack and landing. However, arriving around the Tain area 25 minutes early, 1 (550) decided to go tech, and went home alone. So 4 in formation flew by banking sedately over the dignitaries over by the 'Parade Ground' hangar. Splitting up, it then went quiet for 3-4 minutes before we received 4 minutes of glorious reminders that the Tornado GR4 will be sorely missed.
Attacking from all directions, pulling vapour in the dark leaden skies, full burner, it was quite difficult to pick them up until the last minute..........perfect!
But it was all over too soon, as they reformed, then broke to land, and stopped over by the Tornado pan.

A sad end to a mediocre week that only came truly alive for me in those 4 minutes. XV, you will be missed!
I have tried to get some pictures in context, fighting the changing light and a couple of unusual angles, which at one time included a 'field trip' 2 miles away to see if an idea i had would work. (it didn't)

I can only hope JW17-2 or JW18-1 come back to form, as i probably wont be revisiting and will go elsewhere, for my fix, but without our beloved Tornado's i'm not sure Lossiemouth will ever be the same again.

Enjoy the photographs, and as usual C+C welcome.
Cheers
Dave
1)
Imagelos1 by David Jones, on Flickr
2)
Imagelos13 by David Jones, on Flickr
3)
Imagelos12 by David Jones, on Flickr
4)
Imagelos11 by David Jones, on Flickr
5)
Imagelos10 by David Jones, on Flickr
6)
Imagelos9 by David Jones, on Flickr
7)
Imagelos8 by David Jones, on Flickr
8)
Imagelos7 by David Jones, on Flickr
9)
Imagelos6 by David Jones, on Flickr
10)
Imagelos5 by David Jones, on Flickr
11)
Imagelos4 by David Jones, on Flickr
12)
Imagelos3 by David Jones, on Flickr
13)
Imagelos2 by David Jones, on Flickr
14)
Imagelos27 by David Jones, on Flickr
15)
Imagelos26 by David Jones, on Flickr
16)
Imagelos25 by David Jones, on Flickr
17)
Imagelos24 by David Jones, on Flickr
18)
Imagelos23 by David Jones, on Flickr
19)
Imagelos22 by David Jones, on Flickr
20)
Imagelos21 by David Jones, on Flickr
21)
Imagelos20 by David Jones, on Flickr
22)
Imagelos19 by David Jones, on Flickr
23)
Imagelos18 by David Jones, on Flickr
24)
Imagelos17 by David Jones, on Flickr
25)
Imagelos16 by David Jones, on Flickr
26)
Imagelos15 by David Jones, on Flickr
27)
Imagelos14 by David Jones, on Flickr
Got to love Russianhardware
HeyfordDave111

Re: Lossiemouth Joint Warrior 17-1 (image heavy)

Postby maltwoser on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 12:20 pm

Lovely selection there Dave. A well thought-out and edited post.
maltwoser

Postby Stagger2 on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 12:19 pm

A well-considered & taken set of images. The P8 from the tee-junction on the hill (22) & the inclusion of the Golfers (8) are shots I wouldn't have imagined.
You are correct that Lossiemouth for us Southerners has become untenable as a destination due to world cutbacks & reduced requirements in what volume & content we may see. It does however remain a firm favourite of mine for access, variety of photography locations & general ambience.
Any sadness for the Tornado leaving Lossie is more bearable for us as Marham is much closer. I can't see me doing the 1200 mile round-trip north anytime soon for anonymous Typhoons, as once again Coningsby is closer. I prefer to remember Lossie with Buccs,, Hunters, Jaguars, Shackletons & multiple exchanges of quality variety together with exotic Practise Diversions & lunch-stops.
Stagger2

Postby BigClick67 on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 6:13 pm

That's a very nice post, despite the lack of interesting fast jets. Sad to see another photogenic base losing its thrill. Hopefully the RAF will reverse its trend of removing squadron markings from Typhoons and Tornados soon!
BigClick67

Postby SPLAT on Tue 04 Apr 2017, 6:34 pm

Great set of shots , maybe a Scottish airforce will add a bit more colour when they have the base :smile:
SPLAT

Postby Stagger2 on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 8:41 am

Could be good SPLAT? Post-Independence QRA Grobs, Special Tails in Macallan Tartan, Whiskey Distillery nose-art like the Gulf Bucc's had...this Queen Nicola stuff is gaining traction with me! :wink:
Stagger2

Postby mikek on Mon 17 Apr 2017, 7:25 pm

awesome pics :smile: :up:
Handsomest UKAR member.
mikek

Return to Modern Military Photos