Flying with the 100th ARW refuelling the Luftwaffe

Flying with the 100th ARW refuelling the Luftwaffe

Postby bigcrow on Mon 27 Nov 2017, 3:22 pm

Back in June I was given the great privilege again to fly with the United States Air Force's 100th Air Refuelling Wing based at RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk, in one of their Boeing KC-135R Stratotanker air refuelling aircraft.

We flew to a refuelling area over Northern Germany to refuel German Air Force Tornado ECR's. The crew couldn’t have been more accommodating, a truly amazing experience. Click on the link below for a report on the day http://www.touchdown-aviation.com/repor ... twaffe.php

Image43+45 Tornado ECR GAF, TLG51 "Immelmann", Schleswig AB by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Image43+77 Tornado ECR GAF, TLG51 "Immelmann", Schleswig AB by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Image43+45 Tornado ECR GAF, TLG51 "Immelmann", Schleswig AB by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Image43+46 Tornado ECR GAF, TLG51 "Immelmann", Schleswig AB by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Image46+48 Tornado ECR GAF, TLG51 "Immelmann", Schleswig AB by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Image46+43 Tornado ECR GAF, TLG51 "Immelmann", Schleswig AB by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Image45+77 Tornado ECR GAF, TLG51 "Immelmann", Schleswig AB by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Image46+48 Tornado ECR GAF, TLG51 "Immelmann", Schleswig AB by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Last edited by bigcrow on Mon 27 Nov 2017, 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bigcrow

Re: Flying with the 100th ARW refuelling the Luftwaffe

Postby reheat module on Mon 27 Nov 2017, 4:11 pm

Oh boy!
Beautiful.
You certainly maximised that opportunity.
Canon systems
reheat module

Postby BigClick67 on Mon 27 Nov 2017, 5:25 pm

Great post! I also followed your link to the Touchdown article and found it most interesting. Thanks for sharing :clap:
BigClick67

Postby sdad on Tue 28 Nov 2017, 9:54 pm

Where were you inside the aircraft?
sdad

Postby tuska2 on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 9:59 am

Fantastic!... and I've spilled my tea again!
tuska2

Postby ikarus on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 4:47 pm

Superb photos .... these images certainly do this aircraft justice , in my opinion the lines of the Tornado still make it an extremely attractive aircraft :clap:
ikarus

Postby Fumbles on Thu 30 Nov 2017, 2:31 am

Excellent opportunity and fantastic shots! Thanks for sharing them. :clap:
Fumbles

Postby sovietjet on Fri 01 Dec 2017, 4:25 am

Nice ones Stuart!
Ivan Voukadinov
sovietjet

Postby Ian G on Fri 01 Dec 2017, 2:28 pm

Superb! Love the framing on #9 but all brilliant!
Ian Garfield Photography Website!

Flickr Photostream

I should probably be working. Will work for doughnuts.
Ian G
UKAR Staff

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Fri 01 Dec 2017, 2:37 pm

What an ace post. Thanks for sharing Stu, they're quite lovely.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Postby frank on Fri 01 Dec 2017, 4:47 pm

Great Photos
QQ - on the first photo, is it normal for fuel to spew out like that and was it when the probe made initial contact or on release.
Many thanks
Frank
frank

Postby nellis6 on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 3:04 pm

frank wrote:Great Photos
QQ - on the first photo, is it normal for fuel to spew out like that and was it when the probe made initial contact or on release.
Many thanks
Frank

It's not normal. You might get a little 'puff' of fuel on occasions and would have said definitely upon release. I've photographed lots of aircraft and many different types on hose & drogue refuelling and never seen anything where that amount of fuel has been seen, so a good catch!
Mike Green
Editor, Jetwash Aviation Photos
http://www.jetwashaviationphotos.com
nellis6

Return to Modern Military Photos