Fairford 13-01-18

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
dinger

Fairford 13-01-18

Post by dinger »

Five B-52s on the deck at Fairford was too good an opportunity to miss. Here are the results from a visit this morning.

ImageB-52H 60-0005 RAF Fairford 1 WM by Kevin Bell, on Flickr

ImageB-52H 60-0005 RAF Fairford 2 WM by Kevin Bell, on Flickr

ImageB-52H 60-0005 RAF Fairford Nose Art WM by Kevin Bell, on Flickr

ImageB-52H 60-0012 RAF Fairford WM by Kevin Bell, on Flickr

ImageB-52H 61-0018 RAF Fairford WM by Kevin Bell, on Flickr

ImageB-52H 61-0005 RAF Fairford WM by Kevin Bell, on Flickr

ImageB-52H 61-0005 RAF Fairford Nose Art WM by Kevin Bell, on Flickr

ImageB-52H 60-0009 RAF Fairford WM by Kevin Bell, on Flickr

ImageB-52H 60-0009 RAF Fairford Detail WM by Kevin Bell, on Flickr

Dinger.

adam1314

Re: Fairford 13-01-18

Post by adam1314 »

stunning shots. Do you mind tell us where you park and take the shots. Would like to pay a visit in near future.

dinger

Post by dinger »

adam1314 wrote:stunning shots. Do you mind tell us where you park and take the shots. Would like to pay a visit in near future.

Park on the verge at the Marston Masey crash gates. From this position, you can see all of the Bombers but can only photograph two of them. To get the others, walk back into Marston Masey to the edge of the field and follow the ditch to the Bridle Way. Carry on until you see the perimiter fence. Be respectful of the villagers in Marston Masey and also be respectful when venturing from the Bridal Way by staying on the very edge of the farmers fields without treading on his crops. Sensible footwear is also recomended. A few hardy souls were ankle deep in their Nike best yesterday.

Dinger.

adam1314

Post by adam1314 »

dinger wrote:
adam1314 wrote:stunning shots. Do you mind tell us where you park and take the shots. Would like to pay a visit in near future.

Park on the verge at the Marston Masey crash gates. From this position, you can see all of the Bombers but can only photograph two of them. To get the others, walk back into Marston Masey to the edge of the field and follow the ditch to the Bridle Way. Carry on until you see the perimiter fence. Be respectful of the villagers in Marston Masey and also be respectful when venturing from the Bridal Way by staying on the very edge of the farmers fields without treading on his crops. Sensible footwear is also recomended. A few hardy souls were ankle deep in their Nike best yesterday.

Dinger.

Thanks a lot for sharing the spotting guidance :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rumwolf

Post by Rumwolf »

Very nice shots - particularly the first one and thanks for sharing.

I too was curious about the location you used as I've not been to Fairford other than for RIAT and so thanks for the information. One day I may make it down for a bomber deployment.

One thing struck me however which somebody might want to comment on. Looking at Google Streetview I notice that the crash gates for the area you mention are in fact blocked by concrete blocks presumably to prevent a truck borne suicide bomber or similar entering the base. However, the gates are also there for the base fire service to attend a crash outside the perimeter of the airfield in an emergency. How are they supposed to do that with the gates themselves being blocked? Presumably crash straight through the fence in the hope there isn't a ditch on the other side to prevent their egress?