BANG!

BANG!

Postby lmk on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 3:38 pm

Over the last year I had few opportunities to visit Polish Air force Training Centre in Ustka
and witness life-fire excercise of various rocket and artillery anti-arcraft units.

Please find below some images that I managed to capture.

01.
Image
02.
Image
03.
Image
04.
Image
05.
Image
06.
Image
07.
Image
08.
Image
09.
Image
10.
Image
11.
Image
12.
Image
13.
Image
14.
Image
15.
Image
16.
Image
17.
Image
18.
Image
19.
Image
20.
Image
21.
Image
22.
Image
23.
Image
24.
Image
25.
Image
26.
Image
27.
Image
28.
Image
29.
Image
30.
Image

.
Best Regards,
Leszek

http://www.foxtwo.pl
User avatar
lmk

Re: BANG!

Postby capercaillie on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 4:15 pm

Fantastic shots and fascinating photos :hypno: :shock: :clap: but where are the aircraft? :dunno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
User avatar
capercaillie

Re: BANG!

Postby lmk on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 4:29 pm

capercaillie wrote:...but where are the aircraft? :dunno:


Usually they shoot to remotely controlled drones - you can see remains of the unlucky drone
in the last photograph, other times they shoot to kind of rocket propelled target.
But no, there are no aircraft involved in this kind of excercise... :)

Edit.
...ahhh, but I posted this topic in the 'Off Topic' thread...
I'm not sure what happened... :confused:
Best Regards,
Leszek

http://www.foxtwo.pl
User avatar
lmk

Re: BANG!

Postby reheat module on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 4:44 pm

Certainly different!
Great use of fast and slow shutter too, hope the motordrive has cooled down
Canon systems
reheat module

Re: BANG!

Postby jalfrezi on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 4:59 pm

Thanks for sharing something a little different!

What's being fired in the first couple of photos, I'm curious as to the change in colour during the trajectory?
User avatar
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Re: BANG!

Postby alisdairanderson on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 6:03 pm

Wow.... really good, and not something you see everyday!

Alisdair
alisdairanderson

Re: BANG!

Postby toom317 on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 7:16 pm

:hide: Jeez, I can smell the cordite from here. So what if they are not pics of aircraft, it's at least loosely aviation related. I've tried to get mortars, MLRS, and artillery in the past, and it aint easy, so well done on getting those Leszek.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
User avatar
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Re: BANG!

Postby toom317 on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 7:21 pm

jalfrezi wrote:Thanks for sharing something a little different!

What's being fired in the first couple of photos, I'm curious as to the change in colour during the trajectory?


Possibly it is just some type of tracer bullet type round, and that's them falling back to earth as they run out of steam. It's hard to get a sense of scale in darkness.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
User avatar
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Re: BANG!

Postby lmk on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 1:03 pm

toom317 wrote:
jalfrezi wrote:Thanks for sharing something a little different!
What's being fired in the first couple of photos, I'm curious as to the change in colour during the trajectory?

Possibly it is just some type of tracer bullet type round, and that's them falling back to earth as they run out of steam. It's hard to get a sense of scale in darkness.


Exactly, this is tracer round.
I've asked about the change in colour people from the unit that uses ZUR-23-2. They weren't sure, but most likely it's due to temperature of the tracer right
after leaving the barrel and the fact that the phosphorus in the tracer initially burns with the remains of the propellant ('gun powder') from the round.
But, as I mentioned, they weren't sure. Tt's just the theory... :)
Best Regards,
Leszek

http://www.foxtwo.pl
User avatar
lmk

Re: BANG!

Postby jalfrezi on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 4:05 pm

lmk wrote:
toom317 wrote:
jalfrezi wrote:Thanks for sharing something a little different!
What's being fired in the first couple of photos, I'm curious as to the change in colour during the trajectory?

Possibly it is just some type of tracer bullet type round, and that's them falling back to earth as they run out of steam. It's hard to get a sense of scale in darkness.


Exactly, this is tracer round.
I've asked about the change in colour people from the unit that uses ZUR-23-2. They weren't sure, but most likely it's due to temperature of the tracer right
after leaving the barrel and the fact that the phosphorus in the tracer initially burns with the remains of the propellant ('gun powder') from the round.
But, as I mentioned, they weren't sure. Tt's just the theory... :)


Thanks for the explanation, I guess that also explains the steep fall off in trajectory as the round burns off mass in flight.
User avatar
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Re: BANG!

Postby BigClick67 on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 5:05 pm

Wow! Very impressive images :clap: and many very good long exposures :up:
For us Westerners who aren't so firm in Russian military army hardware it would be helpful to have a few words of explanation on the types of equipment, or maybe the NATO reporting names of these, just to give us an idea of what you are showing there :ninja:
And, yes, I also miss a few aircraft in the set.
Thanks for sharing these very rare impressions :wink:
User avatar
BigClick67

Re: BANG!

Postby The Baron on Fri 19 Jan 2018, 8:04 pm

Incredible! You should be justifiably proud of these.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
User avatar
The Baron

Re: BANG!

Postby lmk on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 2:18 pm

BigClick67 wrote: For us Westerners who aren't so firm in Russian military army hardware it would be helpful
to have a few words of explanation on the types of equipment, or maybe the NATO reporting names of these,
just to give us an idea of what you are showing there :ninja:


You're right, I should have thought about it earlier... :)

So here it goes:

Number 1-6
23 mm anti-aircraft twin-barreled autocannon/missle system ZUR-23-2KG.
It's polish modification of ZU-23-2 cannon with added electro-optical sight, electromechanic
gun turn system and twin launcher for "Grom" missiles which is fired on image number 3 .

Number 7-10
SA-6 "Gainful" - mobile surface-to-air missile system, we know it as 2K12 "Kub".

Number 11-14
57 mm AZP S-60 - Automatic anti-aircraft cannon S-60.
Towed, road-transportable, short- to medium-range, single-barrel anti-aircraft cannon from the 1950s.

Number 15-17
Grom (Thunder) - man-portable anti-aircraft missile produced in Poland.

Number 18-21
SA-8 "Gecko" - mobile, amphibious, low-altitude, short-range tactical surface-to-air missile system, for us 9K33 "Osa"

Number 22-27
ZSU-23-4MP "Biała" - self-propelled anti-aircraft gun. It's polish modernisation of ZSU-23-4 "Shilka" with
digital electro-optical targeting system and launcher for 4 "Grom" missiles, fired on image 23.

Number 28-30
S-125 Newa SC - surface-to-air missile, NATO code SA-3 "Goa".
It's polish modernisation of S-125 with digital fire control and mobile missile launcher and radar.

Hope this helps! :)

BigClick67 wrote: And, yes, I also miss a few aircraft in the set.

Aircraft are rarely to be seen in Ustka., When they take part in live fire excercise
they are usually very far, beyond visual range, because of the safety regulations.
Sometimes, when you're really lucky you can catch something like this:

Image
Sorry for the quality, but it was 3-5 kilometers away. :)
Best Regards,
Leszek

http://www.foxtwo.pl
User avatar
lmk

Re: BANG!

Postby Spiny Norman on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 7:26 pm

Certainly something different, thanks for posting and for the explanations.

That Fitter is pretty good going. Once saw munitions being dropped on Cape Wrath they were a long way out and very difficult to photograph. Interesting the time lag between flash (speed of light) and bang (speed of sound)!
He's done another book. You're joking.
User avatar
Spiny Norman

Re: BANG!

Postby BigClick67 on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 6:38 am

Hope this helps! :)

oh yes, it does help! dziekujemy bardzo, Leszek!! :wink:
Cheers, Chris
User avatar
BigClick67

Re: BANG!

Postby DonaldGrump on Sat 27 Jan 2018, 10:49 pm

Without doubt one of the most interesting sets to have been seen on UKAR in my opinion of course. Fantastic thank you for sharing.

I was thinking of taking advantage of the kindness and benevolence of Mr O Leary and accepting his offer of £30 return to Poland in the coming weeks, having seen these pics I might settle for a trip to Wales in the car. :lol:
DonaldGrump


Return to Modern Military Photos

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pen Pusher and 26 guests