NAF El Centro - Pearl of the Desert

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
CH79

NAF El Centro - Pearl of the Desert

Post by CH79 »

Hello,

Mid-March, I visited NAF El Centro to find out about what they get up to on base. https://www.frontlineaviation.co.uk/elcentro

The PAO was very welcoming and following a chat about the facility I was given the opportunity to walk the ramp and spend a short amount of time at the end of the runway. Not quite in the same league as Fallon but seeing a visiting squadron of AV8s from Cherry Point was great amongst other guests...

ImageBlue Angel Park, NAF El Centro by Chris Heal, on Flickr
ImageAH-1 Cobra (Viper), Attack Helicopter, 167810, US Marines by Chris Heal, on Flickr
Image"Tiger at Rest", Fighting Bengals, VMFA (AW) 224, MAG31, Marine All Weather Fighter Attack Squadron by Chris Heal, on Flickr
Image"Ace in the Pack", AV8-B, VMA231, 164562, US Marines by Chris Heal, on Flickr
Image"Bombs Away", AV8-B, VMA231, Ace of Spades, US Marines by Chris Heal, on Flickr
Image"Providers", Grumman C-2 Greyhound, 162177, VRC-30, Fleet Logistics Support Squadron by Chris Heal, on Flickr
ImageAV8-B Harrier II, Ace of Spades, VMA-231, Cherry Point, US Marines by Chris Heal, on Flickr
Image"Fighting Bengals", VMFA (AW) 224, MAG31, Marine All Weather Fighter Attack Squadron by Chris Heal, on Flickr
ImageAV-8B Harrier II, Ace of Spades, MCAS Cherry Point by Chris Heal, on Flickr
ImageGrumman F6F Hellcat by Chris Heal, on Flickr
Image"Circuit Bashing", Grumman C-2 Greyhound, 162177, VRC-30, Fleet Logistics Support Squadron by Chris Heal, on Flickr
Image“Armed”, AV-8B Harrier II, 165356, Ace of Spades, VMA-231, MCAS Cherry Point by Chris Heal, on Flickr
ImageLockheed Martin KC-130J Hercules, BH 14-5809, US Marines by Chris Heal, on Flickr
Image"Hot Recovery", AV8-B Harrier, Ace of Spaces, US Marines, Cherry Point by Chris Heal, on Flickr
Image"In the Shade", Fighting Bengals, VMFA (AW) 224, MAG31, Marine All Weather Fighter Attack Squadron by Chris Heal, on Flickr
Image"On the Approach", Grumman C-2 Greyhound, 162177, VRC-30, Fleet Logistics Support Squadron by Chris Heal, on Flickr
Image"In the Hover", AV8-B Harrier, Ace of Spaces, US Marines, Cherry Point by Chris Heal, on Flickr
Image"Sharp Shooters", F/A-18 Legacy Hornet, VMFAT-101, Marine Fighter Attack Training Squadron by Chris Heal, on Flickr
Image"Pair of Aces", AV8-B Harrier, VMA-231, Ace of Spades, Cherry Point by Chris Heal, on Flickr
Image"Touch n Go", Grumman C-2 Greyhound, 162177, VRC-30, Fleet Logistics Support Squadron by Chris Heal, on Flickr

Hope you've enjoyed the selection.
Best wishes,
Chris

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Re: NAF El Centro - Pearl of the Desert

Post by Blackbird »

Yes I did! Thanks for posting. I do like the Harrier in #4

Andy :smile:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I do love El Centro, you never know what you’ll find there - including absolutely zip! Lol

Cracking set of shots!

Andy

Vixen1

Post by Vixen1 »

Looks like you were a very lucky man. Being a Naval Air Facility rather than Station it has no based aircraft and is very 'hit or miss'. Apart from six or seven Ospreys on my visit it was dead. Nice shots!