CVN 75 The Truman Show

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
keithjs

CVN 75 The Truman Show

Post by keithjs »

I'm sure there'll be far better ones than these but here's my take on a very enjoyable trip out to see the carrier today.
One thing I did notice though was the distinct lack of colourful tails on the aircraft this year? Anyone know if there was a particular reason or were they below deck?
Also, is it me or is the underwing insignia on F/A-18F AB-100 the wrong way round.....?
For those who might have been on board there's a shot of Jenny M out of Gunwarf Quays.
Thanks for looking.

ImageIMG_5495

ImageIMG_5491

ImageIMG_5482

ImageIMG_5479

ImageIMG_5478

ImageIMG_5476

ImageIMG_5532

ImageIMG_5499

ImageIMG_5501

ImageIMG_5504

ImageIMG_5505

ImageIMG_5508

ImageIMG_5518

ImageIMG_5527

ImageIMG_5530

ImageIMG_5526
...Rad shutters auto.

ArabJazzie

Re: CVN 75 The Truman Show

Post by ArabJazzie »

Been stalking the net all day waiting for these photos and you have not disappointed! Certainly whets the appetite for setting out early doors tomorrow to look from the shore!
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

keithjs wrote:Also, is it me or is the underwing insignia on F/A-18F AB-100 the wrong way round.....?

Great spot!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

sdad

Post by sdad »

Would the foremost point of the star be pointing straight forward when the wings were lowered? It does seem different to the others, though.

bigcrow

Post by bigcrow »

Interesting shots & yes there does seem a lack of colour, I notice 'Red Rippers' CAG is on there with no colour & also VAQ-137's Growler CAG is also grey. Worrying times.

Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

I seem to recall a recent report in one of the magazines (CA?) saying that USN had issued instructions to tone down colour. The cynic in me says this is to lower expectations prior to widespread introduction of F35C to the fleet. Stealth coatings are allegedly expensive to maintain, and in any case presumably full colour paints with stealth-appropriate finishes are not heading up the spending priority list, so all grey F35Cs will be the norm (VFA 101 CAG bird notwithstanding).

Someone mentioned UK F35 colours on another thread, again as previously reported in an interview with the then UK F35 Force Commander, he'd said the only markings would be a lightning flash on the tail to represent the whole force rather than individual squadron markings. No sign yet of even that, and I suspect (you may be getting a theme here) that the tone-down of Typhoon markings is also to lower the bar for F35 introduction - budget again being the real underlying reason, and forget esprit de corps, etc. which accountants can't measure in financial terms so don't understand ("the cost of everything and the value of nothing").

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Puddlejumper wrote:I seem to recall a recent report in one of the magazines (CA?) saying that USN had issued instructions to tone down colour. The cynic in me says this is to lower expectations prior to widespread introduction of F35C to the fleet. Stealth coatings are allegedly expensive to maintain, and in any case presumably full colour paints with stealth-appropriate finishes are not heading up the spending priority list, so all grey F35Cs will be the norm (VFA 101 CAG bird notwithstanding).

Someone mentioned UK F35 colours on another thread, again as previously reported in an interview with the then UK F35 Force Commander, he'd said the only markings would be a lightning flash on the tail to represent the whole force rather than individual squadron markings. No sign yet of even that, and I suspect (you may be getting a theme here) that the tone-down of Typhoon markings is also to lower the bar for F35 introduction - budget again being the real underlying reason, and forget esprit de corps, etc. which accountants can't measure in financial terms so don't understand ("the cost of everything and the value of nothing").

Thank you for that. Most interesting and alas at the same time disappointing. :sad:
...Rad shutters auto.