Lossie, larking about in the dark

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
wallace

Lossie, larking about in the dark

Post by wallace »

I managed to find the opportunity to take a wee drive up to Lossie for some photo therapy. Most of the pictures have gone onto my photo backlog, which is running at nearly two months behind but I managed to process these ones mainly because I was curious as to how they would turn out.

This shot of a departing Typhoon...
ImageTyphoon departure, Lossiemouth by Wallace Shackleton, on Flickr

... leads onto another, which was shot over seventeen seconds, 52 photos at 3 frames per second, selecting every other one for the composite.
ImageTyphoon into the sunset by Wallace Shackleton, on Flickr

Finally one of the reason why I made the three hour drive
ImageSwiss Hornet departure, Lossiemouth by Wallace Shackleton, on Flickr
The Swiss Hornet's departure with the burner lit up to the point it cut out continuing the climb on impulse drive.

I wish that I had thought to plan for a performance take-off for the chronophotograph but that's for another day.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Re: Lossie, larking about in the dark

Post by Skyflash »

Strange, delightful photos - very well done. :clap:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

BigClick67

Post by BigClick67 »

I like these a lot :up: something completely different from the usual 'over-the-fence at daylight'-stuff. I have tried similar stuff recently at Schleswig ( viewtopic.php?f=9&t=82175 ) and Wittmund and must admit that this kind of photography is not easy and takes some time to get into before you start to take usable images. But then it quickly turns into a new kind of photo opportunity during the dark season that receives too little attention. I am still trying a couple of shots at Wittmund and as soon as I bagged them I will post something for comparison. Thank you for posting these :clap:

wallace

Post by wallace »

Pre-visualising the shot is the key. The idea for the multiple shot came to me as I was tracking the preceding Typhoon, so it was a case of zooming out and finding the composition. I rather surprised myself that I pulled this shot off.
The Hornet shot was gained from making a mental note of how long a preceding aircraft took to get into the air from that point, that time would work for Typhoons as well.

CJS

Post by CJS »

The first one is a beautiful piece of art IMHO, congratulations :clap:
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"