Yuma and El Centro in the Heat!

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
BDL

Yuma and El Centro in the Heat!

Post by BDL »

Some time ago I asked for some help and advice. I was in Southern California at a conference for work and had a day to visit a base in the area. I was toying with going to Miramar but was advised not to go and to try Yuma and El Centro. So glad I took the advice.

To say it was hot would be an understatement, don't think I've ever stood at the end of a runway and had to deal with so much heat haze - So be warned, thats why some pics aren't that great! (Well thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it).

First off I travelled to Yuma. After doing a recce around the area I settled on parking near the Showgrounds and walking along to the junction of E 32 st and S Ave 3 E. So glad I do as I managed to capture the following:

ImageDSC_6375 by Dave Lockwood, on Flickr

ImageDSC_6219 by Dave Lockwood, on Flickr

ImageDSC_6986 by Dave Lockwood, on Flickr

ImageDSC_6268 by Dave Lockwood, on Flickr

ImageDSC_6714 by Dave Lockwood, on Flickr

ImageDSC_6442 by Dave Lockwood, on Flickr

All the time this big boy was circling overhead

ImageDSC_6251 by Dave Lockwood, on Flickr

Out of nowhere this appeared - I went a little bit mental - The last thing I expected to see in Southern Arizona!

ImageDSC_6648 by Dave Lockwood, on Flickr

Then the RAF said "Hold my Beer"!

ImageDSC_6774 by Dave Lockwood, on Flickr

As much as I have tried I cannot make out the reg - but I want expecting to see one of ours there!

So I made my way along the I8 and back to El Centro. This big boy was doing circuits and bumps.

ImageDSC_6856 by Dave Lockwood, on Flickr

ImageDSC_6913 by Dave Lockwood, on Flickr

As you can see it was hot and the haze played havoc with the chances of getting any decent shots

ImageDSC_7013 by Dave Lockwood, on Flickr

ImageDSC_7148 by Dave Lockwood, on Flickr

ImageDSC_7186 by Dave Lockwood, on Flickr

Thanks to all who advised, I had a real blast and I'm hoping to go back next September for a bit more.

As ever, thanks for looking

Alpha Delta 210

Re: Yuma and El Centro in the Heat!

Post by Alpha Delta 210 »

Thanks for sharing such a varied set. I love the image of "Red 02".