Duxford Air Show 2009 September 5 & 6

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
EMarsh

Re: Duxford Air Show 2009 September 5 & 6

Post by EMarsh »

Mark Jefferies, Pete Kynsey, Carl Schofield, Brian Smith and John Harper to compete in aerobatic 'competition' at Duxford:

For the first time in over 20 years, the UK is currently hosting the World Aerobatic Championships.

The Duxford Air Show salutes this with a special Invitation-only aerobatic contest, which aims to demonstrate in simple terms how individual manoeuvres are judged and marked. As the home of historic aviation, Duxford has elected to present this utilising aircraft flown in contests from the 1960s-1980s and – with one exception - by pilots who represented Great Britain at World level during those decades!

A former British Team member and international aerobatic judge will give an expert commentary as each aircraft in turn performs three basic figures. The pilots will then have an opportunity to showcase the unique characteristics and capabilities of their highly individual aircraft, as they fly two spectacular freestyle manoeuvres of their own choice.

One current British Team pilot will pit his skills against four former British Team members, one of whom was a three-times National Champion and 7th in the World rankings.

In addition to the thrills and spills of the vintage aerobatic contest, The Duxford Air Show nostalgically celebrates the heyday of vintage air racing with displays by the Percival Mew Gull and the Miles Speed Hawk VI, while the de Havilland Leopard Moth can be seen on static display.

A prototype of the de Havilland Leopard Moth won the King’s Cup in 1933. The Mew Gull is a legendary aircraft, flown by the outstanding pilot Alex Henshaw to win the King’s Cup Race, the most prestigious race of the period, in 1938. One of the youngest ever pilots to win the Race, Henshaw also broke the record for a flight to Cape Town and back.

The Miles Speed Hawk VI was built in 1935 as a one-off, especially for air-racing. The aircraft was bought in 1948 by Ron Paine, who competed in it in many air races around the country, finishing 2nd five-times in the King’s Cup – the last time in 1972.

The Duxford Air Show promises to be an outstanding weekend where the beauty of vintage aeroplanes compete in the skies with the sheer power of modern military types.

For further information go to What's On section - Air Shows and Flying or call 01223 835 000.

Aerobatic Contest Pilot Biographies

Mark Jefferies (flying the Yak 18) is the only current member of the British Aerobatic Team flying this weekend at Duxford and comes direct from the World Aerobatic Championship at Silverstone, where he flew his latest Extra 330SC – in which he was seen in action at the Spring Air Show at Duxford.

A pilot since 1980, Mark took up aerobatic competition flying four years later and has won numerous national contests since, in aircraft ranging from the Bucker Jungmann biplane to a Laser 200 monoplane. On this occasion, he will be flying a Yakovlev Yak 18.

Mark was British Champion in 1994 and from 2005-2007. He has represented Great Britain on no less than 10 occasions at the European and World Aerobatics Championships since 1990 and was placed 9th in the world in 2007.

Brian Smith (flying the Jungmann) became interested in aerobatics as a schoolboy in the 1960s and spent his spare time at the Tiger Club, which then was the centre of UK competition flying, accompanying the British Team to the 1966 World Championships in Moscow as team ‘dogsbody’.

Brian learnt to fly in 1970. Two months later, he won his first national contest, flying a Tiger Moth which had the distinction of being roughly double the age of its pilot. He went on to compete in Stampes, Zlin 526s and Pitts Specials, ultimately representing Great Britain at the 1976 World Championships in Russia and at the European Championships the following year in France.

Subsequently, Brian has maintained his aerobatic interests by displaying various Second World War fighters at Duxford. A professional pilot by trade, he has amassed over 24,000 hours flying time on aircraft ranging from ultra-lights to Jumbo Jets. He currently flies Boeing 747s for Virgin Atlantic.

Carl Schofield (flying the Zlin 526) learnt to fly at Hamble in 1961 on the British Airways training scheme. In order to build up his hours, he joined The Tiger Club and from 1964 onwards went on to compete in and win several domestic contests in the Stampe. He represented Great Britain in the World Aerobatic Championship in 1968 flying a Zlin 526 Acrobat, where he was placed 7th in the Unknown sequence and 12th overall. Carl flew for the British Team again in 1970, when the World Championship was hosted for the first time in this country at Hullavington.

Having flown in the famous Stampe and Zlin Duo displays for many years, Carl graduated to Second World War fighters and now displays principally for The Fighter Collection at Duxford. Until his relatively recent retirement, Carl was a Boeing 747 Training Captain with British Airways.

John Harper (flying the Tiger Moth) is known to all as ‘Harpo’. John learnt to fly in 1970 when he joined The Tiger Club. From 1973 onwards, he competed in domestic contests in the Stampe and demonstrated his aerobatic skill in a Tiger Moth by beating a then up-to-date Pitts Special!

He represented Great Britain in European and World Championships 8 times between 1980 and 1988, initially flying a Pitts Special and then a Laser monoplane. In a previous life, Harpo was a BBC cameraman, but since 1986, he has been a professional display pilot, flying instructor and aerobatic coach. When back on the tiny island of Papa Westray, Harpo is also a part-time tractor driver!

Pete Kynsey (flying the Cosmic Wind). A visit to the World Aerobatic Championship
at Hullavington in 1966 inspired Pete to take up the sport. In 1971, whilst still at school, he learnt to fly and later joined The Tiger Club to enter national contests in their 1940s Stampe biplane.

Pete bought a share in a Pitts Special, which enabled him to progress to Unlimited Level. He held the title of British Aerobatic Champion three times in the early 1980s. From 1981, he represented Great Britain at European and World Championships for six years, achieving 8th place in the world in 1986.

As Chief Pilot for The Fighter Collection at Duxford, Pete flies a wide range of historic Second World War fighters. He is also an accomplished seaplane, alpine ski plane and cross-country glider pilot. Pete’s day job is as Airline Captain on medium and long-haul routes.

The Commentator and Judge for the vintage aerobatic contest is Pete Jarvis. As an RAF pilot, Pete won the Wright Jubilee Aerobatic Trophy in 1964 and 1965. The following year, he joined The Tiger Club and went on to display the legendary Stampe and Zlin Duos with their famous ‘mirror’ formation.

In 1970, he represented Great Britain in the 7th World Aerobatic Championship at Hullavington. Between 1968 and 1984, Pete was British Judge at the World Championships on many occasions.

In 1984, Pete joined the Old Flying Machine Company at Duxford and transferred his aerobatic, formation and display skills to their MkIX Spitfire. Subsequently, he was responsible for the formation training of numerous display pilots. After leaving the RAF, he joined British Airways, for whom he became a Training Captain.

There can only be one winner~!

My money is on Mark Jefferies. :handbag:

Lomcevak26

Post by Lomcevak26 »

To be honest this now sounds like it might be a little bit of a let-down. The concept is brilliant - former British Aeros team members, showcasing the art of competition aerobatics and the intricacies of judging it, etc. But if I understand this bit right -
each aircraft in turn performs three basic figures. The pilots will then have an opportunity to showcase the unique characteristics and capabilities of their highly individual aircraft, as they fly two spectacular freestyle manoeuvres of their own choice
- five figures from each pilot/aircraft combo? Just seems limited use of the talent they've got assembled. Don't get me wrong, I still applaud the initiative... :clap:

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Lomcevak26 wrote:To be honest this now sounds like it might be a little bit of a let-down. The concept is brilliant - former British Aeros team members, showcasing the art of competition aerobatics and the intricacies of judging it, etc. But if I understand this bit right -
each aircraft in turn performs three basic figures. The pilots will then have an opportunity to showcase the unique characteristics and capabilities of their highly individual aircraft, as they fly two spectacular freestyle manoeuvres of their own choice
- five figures from each pilot/aircraft combo? Just seems limited use of the talent they've got assembled. Don't get me wrong, I still applaud the initiative... :clap:

Hmm, hadn't spotted that bit (I gave up after realising there were no pictures accompanying the article :claypole:). Agreed that it is a good idea in theory, but the five figure sequence may neuter what the aircraft/pilot can really do.

However, I suppose it prevents the display from feeling stale for those who aren't fans of aerobatic routines, and it keeps the segment snappy and purposeful. It also gives you an element of realism and fairness with respect to how participants are judged. I had wondered how a Tiger Moth would be able to compete with, say, the Pitts Special - though I wait with a strong sense of anticipation to see what 'spectacular freestyle' moves the Tigger will bust out. :grin:

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

I'm going Fri,Sat, & Sun. Is anyone else?? Though having seen Fridays weather, i do not know now. Heavy showers Friday, and Saturday is Sunny intervals. No rain for Saturday at least....so far :biggrin: Sunday will have take a look tommorow.

Fingers cross for a very sunny weekend :biggrin:

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

I'll be going Friday, although getting home in the early hours of Friday morning from the Northolt photo shoot could be pushing it :sleepy:, and judging by the weather probably on the bus as well. Will be going Saturday and seeing how I feel , and the weather, Sunday at Old Warden.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

I booked Friday off work quite a while ago, so even with the "iffy" forecast, I'll still pop over there to see whats about.

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

The programme for both days is up on the IWM site. List copied courtesy of '11 Group' on Key:

Saturday 5 and Sunday 6 September 2009

Participation and order of flying is subject to weather, serviceability and operational commitments.
Aircraft are listed in order of appearance.
Saturday 5 September
1355 Air Refuelling:
KC-135
King’s Cup Pair:
Hawk Speed VI & Mew Gull
Modern Military:
Typhoon
A-109
Hawk
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight:
Lancaster, Spitfire & Hurricane
Vintage Aerobatic Demonstration Contest:
Cosmic Wind, Yak 18, Jungmann, Zlin 526, Tiger Moth
Hawkers:
Sea Hawk, Hunter, Sea Fury
American:
Chinook, Skyraider, Harvard, Sabre, Mustang, B17
Battle of Britain:
Hurricane, Bouchon 109, Spitfires
Red Arrows
Hawk x 9
ends 1735

Sunday 6 September

1355 Air Refuelling:
KC-135
Classic Jets:
Gnat Team
Modern Military:
Chinook
King’s Cup Pair:
Hawk Speed VI & Mew Gull
Vintage Aerobatic Demonstration Contest:
Cosmic Wind, Yak 18, Jungmann, Zlin 526, Tiger Moth
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight:
Lancaster, Spitfire & Hurricane
Hawkers:
Sea Hawk, Hunter, Sea Fury, Demon, Hurricane, Hawk
American:
A-109, Skyraider, Harvard, Mustang, B17, Sabre
Aerostars:
Yak 50s
Battle of Britain:
109 Bouchon & Spitfires
ends 1730
Additional aircraft on static display
Hawk, Stearman, Leopard Moth
Rapide (Sat only), Wasp (Sat only) Pitts Special (Sun only)

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

At this very moment Sunday is looking the nicer day, heat wise. Saturday's max is 20c & Sunday's max is 22c, also Friday's weather has changed. It is now saying that it'll quite sunny with a max temperature of 19c :biggrin: so we shall get some pratices on Friday hopefully aswell as fly ins. Can't wait to see the Hujter again :yahoo: So quite a promising weekend, weather and flying wise. Is the Sea Hawk actually coming, if so they must have solved the problems with her at RNAS Yeovilton with the RNHF?? If so well done :clap: :biggrin:

James

MrAngry2

Post by MrAngry2 »

As a rule the September shows at Dux are always good, but this one looks really good, just hope the weathers plays ball.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/richardjudge/

Biggin Hill international cheese fair 2011 (TBC)

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

jimbob1194 wrote:Is the Sea Hawk actually coming, if so they must have solved the problems with her at RNAS Yeovilton with the RNHF?? If so well done :clap: :biggrin:

It's good news! http://www.royalnavyhistoricflight.org.uk/home/

Cheers, Huw :smile:

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

HuwJHopkins wrote:
jimbob1194 wrote:Is the Sea Hawk actually coming, if so they must have solved the problems with her at RNAS Yeovilton with the RNHF?? If so well done :clap: :biggrin:

It's good news! http://www.royalnavyhistoricflight.org.uk/home/

Cheers, Huw :smile:

Cheers Huw, that has made my day :biggrin: :clap:

James

XH668

Post by XH668 »

Hoping to go this :)
Ground crew of WZ507

Nikon D5000
Sigma 10-20mm
Nikon 18-55mm
Tamron 70-300mm
Sigma 150-500mm

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery »

Yep, I'll be down both days, whatever the weather :smile:
Last edited by Ben Montgomery on Thu 03 Sep 2009, 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrAngry2

Post by MrAngry2 »

TheOriginalMonty wrote:Yep, I'll be down both days, whatever the weater :smile:

Me to, one inside one out Like a blooming freeloader :whistle:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/richardjudge/

Biggin Hill international cheese fair 2011 (TBC)

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

MrAngry2 wrote:
TheOriginalMonty wrote:Yep, I'll be down both days, whatever the weater :smile:

Me to, one inside one out Like a blooming freeloader :whistle:

Both days for me, too. I've been considering going 'south-side' for one of the days - any suggestions for the best place to stand? Near the western hill, mid-way, etc?

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Not going Friday now :sad: Still be going Sat, and Sun. At least the wind will not be like this at the weekend. Tommorow it will be windy aswell. Better to get rid of it today & tommorow :biggrin:

James

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Does anyone know is the Vulcan down to appear at the Duxford Airshow ? I havn't seen any info that would suggest
that it is ? Any info would be appreciated

Regards

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Its all over the website that vulcan is not appearing.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

AMB

Post by AMB »

Rob Leigh wrote:The Hind had a leaking cylinder liner. It's hoped that it'll be fixed in time for the October show.

Rob, Can we expect a Hind/Demon formation then? :whistle:
Adrian

jaguarfarewellday

Post by jaguarfarewellday »

Scotts Typhoon display at 14.11pm Saturday :biggrin: .

Paul
what we have here is a complete lack of respect for the law !

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

Spent a few hours at DX this lunchtime - but I spent most of it in the hanagers. Rain I can deal with....but not wind. That always beats me!!

Was no flying at all in the time I was there, but MH434 and the Sabre were on the line.

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

SuffolkBlue wrote:Spent a few hours at DX this lunchtime - but I spent most of it in the hanagers. Rain I can deal with....but not wind. That always beats me!!

Was no flying at all in the time I was there, but MH434 and the Sabre were on the line.

Miss D arrived and the Sea Fury was up about an hour or two ago, apparently... :whistle:

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

EMarsh wrote:
SuffolkBlue wrote:Spent a few hours at DX this lunchtime - but I spent most of it in the hanagers. Rain I can deal with....but not wind. That always beats me!!

Miss D arrived and the Sea Fury was up about an hour or two ago, apparently... :whistle:[/quote

Yep saw Miss D at about 2:30PM high above the village of Over near DX.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

T.20 returned just after lunch from a little trip to Marshalls of Cambridge with Pete Kynsey up front and Martyn (Boghopper MkIIA) in the back seat. One of the best displays I've seen in a long time and hate to say it, much better the Mr Grey who went up later on.

MH434 departed for the Cosby (?) show closely followed by a little Cub that took about 10 minute to reach the end of the runway with the little bit of wind that has been blowing. :biggrin:

Chipmunk on Steroids (Zlin) is in as is the Jungmeister and Miss D, streamed parachute on landing, and also the Belgan A-109. The 2x Hawks were doing a run and break as I was leaving.

Oh, and there is a big plastic Chinook :sick: parked in front of Wing Co. Joes cafe.

Cards are downloading and should have something up later tonight.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Having seen Pete Kynsey's 'Fury solo the day before Legends (his first flight in the type?), I can attest to that. Did he throw in a roll at the top of the loop this time round? :cool:

PK should be recognised in the years to come as being in the top tier of display pilots, anywhere in the world.