Duxford Autumn Air Show

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Ben Montgomery

Re: Duxford Autumn Air Show

Post by Ben Montgomery »

Yes. Arrived early today as MACE 95. Credit to FighterControl for that.

Danny

Post by Danny »

TheOriginalMonty wrote:Yes. Arrived early today as MACE 95. Credit to FighterControl for that.

Thanks. :biggrin:
"Can you believe it? Chelsea will just not let go in the Champions League!"

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Cloudy and sunny on Sunday. Maybe be some rain in the morning on Sunday (Not much though) Fingers cross :biggrin:

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

BBC weather now has no rain at all Saturday night into Sunday but plenty cloud. :roll:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

vtecsilver

Post by vtecsilver »

Planning on being there Sunday, but wondering about pros and cons of each car park. I normally park in the car park (fields) on the other side of the A505, but if you park in the car park near the tank museum, are you forced to turn left onto the A505 when you leave, and if so how easy is it to turn around so you can head back to the A11 North. I assume the traffic is also slow once you do turn around on the A505, as they will be stopping it to let people out of the car park.

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

They do make you turn left, but there are a couple of places you can safely turn around at - the pet crematorium, for one. You'll probably run into traffic as you pass the other exits on the way to the M11; the later you leave, the better it is. Shouldn't be too terrible at this show.

Hope that was useful!

vtecsilver

Post by vtecsilver »

It's confirmed what I suspected - thank you. Guess I'll make a decision on the day.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Just got back from an excellent day at DX.

Anson was sitting out on the airfield. Mr Grey took his Sea Fury for a spin and didn't appear to break it this time :biggrin: . 2x T-28s flew and did a nice little display. BBMF MkII Spit arrived. The Hawk did a routine as is was Cancelled from yesterday because of the rain. Despite being a box with wings, the Kodiac looks nice close up. It was out on the airfield but is now between the hangers. The Blenheim Society were having their annual do in the ARCo hanger and the Blenheim has its short nose attached.

Look forward to tomorrow now.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

The programme up in the shop is as follows:

Sabre
Extra
Sea Fury/Mustang
Chipmunk duo
T28 duo
Wasp
F16
Pembroke
Grace Spitfire/Hurricane
Anson/Rapide
Blades
Catalina
Cub/Stearman/Cosmic Wind
RF4
Spitfire II
OFMC duo
Hawk
B17

Good day today with Dave Southwood putting on a cracking display in the T28, followed by a pairs display, being the highlight. PK's Cosmic Wind display was superb, too. RF4 arrived shortly before I left.

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

EMarsh wrote:Good day today with Dave Southwood putting on a cracking display in the T28, followed by a pairs display, being the highlight. PK's Cosmic Wind display was superb, too. RF4 arrived shortly before I left.

I saw the some of the T-28 display going past Duxford today on the way back from a Uni open day in Cambridge, and have to day it looked excellent! Perticularly the head-on to crowd wing over!

Cheers, Huw

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

RF4 - now I am getting excited - Turkish, Greek, Japanese or Korean?
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

iainpeden wrote:RF4 - now I am getting excited - Turkish, Greek, Japanese or Korean?

British :wink:

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Yes I know! - was just waiting for somebody to bite. I'll be there - look out for my Frecce Tricolori cap - probably have a black bakpak on - oh and my dad in tow - you can't miss the white hair and beard (him not me) - say hello.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

PhilW

Post by PhilW »

PhilW wrote:
EMarsh wrote: - usually levelling out at something half-decent....

..but saving the best light of the day 'til just as the flying finishes. :sad:

Told ya so!. :sad:

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

PhilW wrote:
PhilW wrote:
EMarsh wrote: - usually levelling out at something half-decent....

..but saving the best light of the day 'til just as the flying finishes. :sad:

Told ya so!. :sad:

There was good light for at least 15 minutes. :grin:

In all, a good show. The line-up was a bit thin on the ground and lacked inspiration, but that said, there was undoubtedly some world class flying and some memorable display routines to round off the season. In my view, the participants list/flight line was more akin to the Autumn shows of 2001/2, with mostly Duxford based aircraft interspersed with the occasional visitor. Perhaps the more recent shows, with programmes to rival the other DX shows and beyond, have left me spoilt and thus underwhelmed by this year's offerings. Anyway...

Display highlights for me were the Cosmic Wind, Stephen Grey's 'Miss Velma' solo, Mark Jefferies in his 'roided up Extra (doing things that should be impossible - Mark's displays are amongst the absolute best out there, for my money) and of course, the irrepressible OFMC pair, flown with typical panache and grace by Brian Smith and Alister Kay in the best light of the afternoon. Wonderful!

The ATA tribute was nicely done, with the unusual pairing of Dragon Rapide and Anson flying some excellent formation passes. The Anson is a lovely looking and sounding aircraft; a most welcome return to Duxford for this machine! They were followed by Anna Walker and Carolyn Grace in the Hurricane XII and Spitfire TIX respectively. After a couple of close formation passes, they broke off into individual routines, with Carolyn flying graceful half-cubans and loops while Anna buzzed the tank bank with some close, low, fast passes. A fitting tribute to some remarkable women (and men!), assisted by Olivia Grace's commentary that really put over the significance of the tribute.

Always good to see some 'burners and the F16 was a top notch display. Long may the Autmn airshow Belgian F16 display tradition continue - though it would've been nice to have seen a Heritage Flight formation again (as per the past 3 years - although it had to be scrubbed last year). I understand it is the F16 pilot's first display season, which may account for that particular sequence not taking place.

Unfortunately, the Autogyro and Cub were lost on much of the crowd, particularly down the Royston end. Both fine routines, but they're just too small to make an impact. The Autogyro in particular was quite easy to miss! The RF-4 benefitted from musical accompaniment and a smoke system and was, as always, a joy to watch. Looking forward to the two-ship sequence next year!

The Hawk and Spitfire II formation was a wonderful addition, the crowd-on break being a highlight of the Duxford season. Glad to hear Al Pinner's warbird flying days aren't behind him - also interesting to hear the plans to get all the BBMF fighters to Duxford's May show next year to kick off the Battle of Britain celebrations.

The Sabre was superbly flown by Mark Linney - so glad she pulled through and a) was able to display on Sunday and b) is seemingly remaining in the UK for 2010. Also falling under the ARC stable are Fennecs (owned by others but maintained by ARC, though I may be wrong) and the Stearman - both of which were excellent displays in their own right.

I also enjoyed Ben Dunnell's commentary too - please come back next year, sir! Tim Callaway & Ben Dunnell could be an excellent combination, IMO.

In all, a nice end to a cracking, safe UK airshow season. Roll on 2010! :clap:

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

WOW :shock:

I am totally 110% exhausted but I knew it would be worth it!! I was a little concerned riding my motorbike on the mud and grass but Duxford is now in my good books for having no queue to get in :clap:

A wonderful show in once again less than favourable conditions. You're right though EMarsh, at 4:30pm Ferocious Frankie looked great when the sun was on him for 15 minutes :grin:

Spent a good few hours on the tank bank where I was thrilled to bits to see the Sabre, I nearly missed it as I was chatting to Jetwash when he quietly said "the Sabres on the runway" so I had to RUN back to the crowdline to grab my video camera :oops: The Sabre display was awesome, smokey, loud and aerobatic, so so happy she was fixed in time!

Shame the Wasp didn't come down the tank bank much, same can be said for the gyrocopter and the cub.

Miss Velma's display was excellent, plenty of whistle, nice and low and very close. The F-16 left me gobsmacked and deaf :shock: It outdid the RIAT display by the Dutch team by a mile in my opinion. It was such a LONG display I was just grinning non stop! Gotta love that trademark wave goodbye by the Falcon, it is as iconic as the Harriers bow to the crowd :clap:

The ladies flying the Spitfire and Hurricane were brilliant, the display was nice and tight with some low passes over the tank bank and as mentioned the commentary by Olivia Grace really topped off that tribute nicely.

Extra 300 dude. Not sure if he is human or robotic but I still cannot understand how he did the things he did in that plane without throwing up or losing consciousness, that was some outstanding flying!! :clap:

Another highlight for me personally was seeing the Catalina fly again, have not seen her in the air since Shoreham 2005 so was great to see that big old plane up there and flying as graceful as ever.

The Blades display was heart stopping as usual, I liked the Hawk chasing after the Spitfire (?) it was nice to have that seeing as the F-16 didn't oblige on this occassion but I must say the ultimate highlight for me was the gorgeous sunshine and bits of blue sky that arrived just intime for Ferocious Frankie to go up and do the display alongside the errrr Spitfire (?)... I know, I am not very good at the naming thing yet :biggrin:

Sally B finished the day off nicely with a lovely smokey tribute to the crew. I stayed till 6pm to check out the statics again and went home very very happy :biggrin:

Was great to meet up with Jetwash and his Dad, I still owe you that mocha frappa chocca wokka wokka EMarsh :wink:

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Thumper wrote:Was great to meet up with Jetwash and his Dad, I still owe you that mocha frappa chocca wokka wokka EMarsh :wink:

You almost had the chance - your bikes were parked directly under my room's window and only one space away from my car! I was sceptical until I saw the RIAT sticker... :grin:

Your post has reminded me of another couple of points I neglected to mention in my initial review. The Blades did well in gusty conditions - I could listen to their commentator all day <3. I too was impressed with the length of the F16 display. Not sure the time it clocked in at, but it was the perfect length for a fast jet display IMO.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Any one else see 'Father Christmas' in the Tiger Moth? :roll:

Bad enough in the shops, let alone an air show. :biggrin:
Brian

DfG on Facebook

MrAngry2

Post by MrAngry2 »

Bit the bullet in the end and popped along :grin: , agree with what every one has said so far and to be honest it was the best Hawk display I have seen this year, seemed to have a bit more oomf than normal, what a swansong :clap:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/richardjudge/

Biggin Hill international cheese fair 2011 (TBC)

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

As for Matt Barker in his Hawk, for those of you who were not down the M11 end :biggrin: , he taxied right down to the entrance to the ARCo compound and turned around and then returned to his parking place along the crowd line. He was smiling and waving all the while and if you leaned over the crowd barrier just a little bit, you could touch the wing tip as he went by.

Nice one that man :clap: :clap:

Brian

DfG on Facebook

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Pen Pusher wrote:As for Matt Barker in his Hawk, for those of you who were not down the M11 end :biggrin: , he taxied right down to the entrance to the ARCo compound and turned around and then returned to his parking place along the crowd line. He was smiling and waving all the while and if you leaned over the crowd barrier just a little bit, you could touch the wing tip as he went by.

Nice one that man :clap: :clap:

Brian

He was signing prints and chatting to the public on Saturday, too. What a gent. :clap:

Briefly spoke to Brian Smith (who flew MH434) after the show - another class act. Despite it being late in the day and him probably having better things to do, he was more than willing to have a chat. Very modest and friendly bloke. Hell of a display pilot, too!

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Yeah my Air Tattoo sticker stays on the bike as a momento, I should have revved my bike a little more and woken you up Saturday night :grin: I was at KFC when the fight broke out and old bill turned up. Dragged 1 of the offenders into hotel reception to interview him. I thought ooooo nice place. No flight sim in the arcade either, Starbucks was good tho :grin:

Matt Barker, well, it was his last display in the Hawk (so the commentator said) so maybe thats why he gave it some, I also thought it was very exciting. Got a pic of him grinning and waving when taxiing back after his display.

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Thumper wrote:Yeah my Air Tattoo sticker stays on the bike as a momento, I should have revved my bike a little more and woken you up Saturday night :grin: I was at KFC when the fight broke out and old bill turned up. Dragged 1 of the offenders into hotel reception to interview him. I thought ooooo nice place. No flight sim in the arcade either, Starbucks was good tho :grin:

Matt Barker, well, it was his last display in the Hawk (so the commentator said) so maybe thats why he gave it some, I also thought it was very exciting. Got a pic of him grinning and waving when taxiing back after his display.

I was in Cambridge 'til "late" on Saturday night (partaaaay~!1!); gutted I missed the entertainment though. Mind you, I had entertainment of my own in the room next to mine... :whistle: :grin:

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

Thumper wrote:Yeah my Air Tattoo sticker stays on the bike as a momento, I should have revved my bike a little more and woken you up Saturday night :grin: I was at KFC when the fight broke out and old bill turned up. Dragged 1 of the offenders into hotel reception to interview him. I thought ooooo nice place. No flight sim in the arcade either, Starbucks was good tho :grin:

I think something else woke him up on saturday night from the room next door anyway!!! I beleive I passed right by you on top of the E-pen by the bikes as I headed for the car to get something, I did a doble take but didn't know why until the light bulb went on in my head later! I was the dapper looking youth in his lovely new leather jacket :grin:

Cheers, Huw :smile:

Jimbo27

Post by Jimbo27 »

EMarsh wrote: Glad to hear Al Pinner's warbird flying days aren't behind him - also interesting to hear the plans to get all the BBMF fighters to Duxford's May show next year to kick off the Battle of Britain celebrations.

It would be good to see Sqn Ldr Pinner in "another life". :smile: Did they announce where he will be?