No, I like things the way they are
15%
No, I like things the way they are
15%

Total votes: 384

747woody

Re: Bigger Images?

Post by 747woody »

Is there a guide anywhere for computer numpties to explain the significance of size etc. As a computer numptie I haven't a clue what you guys are talking about! :sad:

docman

Post by docman »

Chris, Most of the "Digital Cameras for beginners" type books have a simplified guide. What took me ages to understand was that pictures with lots of detail and colours produce larger jpeg files than simpler ones at the same size. I can quite understand though your difficulty with size.

Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Post by Ben H »

Rob Leigh wrote:
Random wrote:More than 1000 people have voted

Someone can't count.

"Total votes : 128"

Bloody iPhones. :grin:

747woody

Post by 747woody »

I can quite understand though your difficulty with size

You quite right Richard, I probably should downsize! :grin:

Where was it you thought you were sitting tomorrow???!!!!................. :grin:

DaveM

Post by DaveM »

I've got a 3+year old 17" Samsung TFT that I've run at 1280px wide res since day 1 and I thought it was getting old compared with what I though everyone else would be using for monitors and resolution these days!

As for physical file sizes, I heartily recommend Faststone photo resizer which (for an example) when set at 95% for an image out of lightroom which is exported and resized to 1000px, originally at 388k converts it to 156k. And I can't tell the difference.

Clickable thumbnails?? I just wouldn't do it... coz I'm lazy like that!

...and finally doing different sizing for different forums etc, is this not easily done by making macros etc in PS? Certainly in Lightroom if I'm doing website images when I've got the images I want edited and cropped etc it takes no more than about 30 seconds to set up exporting and saving of the images in 4 different sizes 200px, 600px, 1024px and full size.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

We've tested the mod and it works a treat. Hopefully we'll add the functionality to the forum over the weekend and we'll see how everyone gets on with it. :smile:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

TonyO

Post by TonyO »

Cracking, put some pictures from the SPTA at 1000px across...
Do you want the Aladeen news or the Aladeen news?

Copper2

Post by Copper2 »

It a be interesting if this leads to more or less photographs/photographers being posted/using the site

Macc

Post by Macc »

Copper2 wrote:It a be interesting if this leads to more or less photographs/photographers being posted/using the site

I reckon more Rich, because people who post at 800x are still able to do so.. :smile: .

Great work mods!

DaveM

Post by DaveM »

Tony's images look even better at that size - from this I have one more question... As Photobucket resizes to 800px no matter what (which I had forgotten but have just found out!), does anyone know of any free web-based image hosting services that allow you to host at 1000px or more?

Edit: I see PB has an option at about £20 a year for a no restriction option but are there any free ones before I do this?

Koen L

Post by Koen L »

DaveM wrote:Tony's images look even better at that size - from this I have one more question... As Photobucket resizes to 800px no matter what (which I had forgotten but have just found out!), does anyone know of any free web-based image hosting services that allow you to host at 1000px or more?

Check your settings on Photobucket Dave. Mine will upload at 1024px as well (without resizing to 800) though you have to have a pay account if you want to upload bigger than 1024px I believe.

Koen

Manonthefence

Post by Manonthefence »

As people have to open the page and then click the image twice to see the full size. It wont make much difference.

I cant see the point in changing but hey ho.

TonyO

Post by TonyO »

My SPTA images are hosted on Photobucket without the purchase option, it's a case of meddling with the upload options!

DaveM

Post by DaveM »

Thanks guys, all sorted!

Now got me some bigger U2s!

Ta! Dave.

Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Post by Ben H »

Alternatively you can use Flickr, which is awesome! :grin:

To answer your point Nick, if your screen res can accept the larger size, you will see the shot at 1024px, if it can't then you will see the resized shot that fits your browser. Best of both worlds. :biggrin:

Lumix

Post by Lumix »

Can someone explain why this image posted at 1024 wide doesn't display correctly albeit the small magnifying glass at the top left displays it as it should be.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=17069

Cheers, Lumix.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Lumix wrote:Can someone explain why this image posted at 1024 wide doesn't display correctly albeit the small magnifying glass at the top left displays it as it should be.

Cheers, Lumix.

Displays correctly here - what screen res are you running?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Russ

Post by Russ »

Lumix wrote:Can someone explain why this image posted at 1024 wide doesn't display correctly albeit the small magnifying glass at the top left displays it as it should be.

Cheers, Lumix.

Looks fine for me too.

Copper2

Post by Copper2 »

Looks fine here too and a nice shot for a civie

Lumix

Post by Lumix »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:

Cheers, Lumix.

Displays correctly here - what screen res are you running?

Cheers Guys, problem sorted.....I didn't realise my screen wasn't maximised!!

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

On behalf of us folks who don't have broadband, NO. It takes long enough to download images as it is, and there are numerous threads in here that I have given up on. Why do you feel the need to have everything bigger? Just because you have a bigger screen or faster computer or internet connection, doesn't mean everyone else has. A quality pic is a quality pic, rubbish is still rubbish, no matter how big you make it. If you feel your images are that great, that they need to be seen big, then open your own website and post links to them.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

Chris H

Post by Chris H »

Yes, yes and yes. Monitor sizes are going up and widescreen monitors are now commonplace. Broadband is now in most UK households so there is no excuse to not up the image size. Technology marches onward; lets enjoy the images to the maximum of their potential.

Increasing the maximum allowed image size is a positive progressive step.
Swa se ðeodkyning þeawum lyfde

expat1

Post by expat1 »

Got to say that with the improvement in viewing quality I am all for the bigger images. But, I have come across one problem.
I can no longer look at the pictures at work!! For some reason the big images don't download before the page times out.
This is bad news and means that I have to actually work now, which is just wrong :mad: :mad: :mad:
You don't take a photograph you make it - Ansel Adams.
Canon 6D, Canon 7D, 100-400L, 70-200L, Tamron SP 150-600.

TonyO

Post by TonyO »

expat1 wrote:This is bad news and means that I have to actually work now, which is just wrong...

Surely this means that coming home is all the more rewarding!!? :grin:

I have to say, I am hugely impressed that the mods have seen this through, it already seems to be paying dividends, with new names posting pictures, that's got to be a benefit.

agdickie
UKAR Staff

Post by agdickie »

The lack of a mod to the forum software has always been the issue on this. We had looked at upping the image size before we changed to this 'new' board over a year ago but there was no way to do it without a lot of people not being able to see the full images. DanB can confirm that I was a right pest in asking for bigger images :oops:

It does indeed make the forum better though, even gave me the impetus to edit some shots!
Agdickie on Airliners.net
Hey jet pilots! Do a barrell roll!