A few Lightnings...

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
Mad Dan

A few Lightnings...

Post by Mad Dan »

Not too sure how well these will reproduce on here as the lighting on some is a bit weird, but here's a few Lightning shots that might bring a bit of warmth on this freezing cold December morning.

The first couple were shot from the back of a Herk on the final press day, somewhere over the North Sea... Same aeroplane, but very different positioning of the sun.

Followed by a couple of night shots from Binbrook, again of the same aircraft, if I remember it right. It was a bit blowy that night, so the rear three-quarter shot isn't pin sharp as the aircraft was rocking about in the gusts.

Next up is the old Coltishall gate guard F.1A in 226 OCU colours. Oh to see a Lightning painted up like this again...

Finally, harking back to the final media call, here's an 'in-your-face' shot of a pair of F.6s from the back ramp of the photo ship.

I am not a loony... I used to be, but I think I am better now...

MrAngry2

Re: A few Lightnings...

Post by MrAngry2 »

All great but that last one is fantastic. :drool:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/richardjudge/

Biggin Hill international cheese fair 2011 (TBC)

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Very Happy memories of the Colt Gate Guard and as for the Binbrook Lightnings...How cool was that media photocall...Lightnings tucked in behind the tail gate of the C130...Awesome sight...!!!
:wink:

F-86

Post by F-86 »

Great shots, last one is awesome. :clap: :clap:

supersaint

Post by supersaint »

Last one for me too, however, there is no such thing as a bad Lightning picture in my eyes.

StevenH

Post by StevenH »

Final shot is probably the best air to air I've seen.

donnanook1

Post by donnanook1 »

why should the last one be better than any other the pilots set it up for them all they had to do was take the shot...after all it was said there was lot of shoving and pushing by the so called photographers some would not take there turn at the doors or ramp........bet there is one or 2 on this forum that was there lol

Mad Dan

Post by Mad Dan »

donnanook1 said:
some would not take there turn at the doors or ramp

Not too sure what you are trying to say there...

It wasn't so much that some wouldn't take their turn, but that some wouldn't move out of the way and continued to hog the doorway.

donnanook1 also said:
all they had to do was take the shot

True - but perhaps not quite as simple or straightforward as all that... I recall this trip quite well and remember asking another "so-called photographer" (a professional who earned his living from photography...) what lens he would recommend. The answer was "use a telephoto, they aren't very close..." So I put a 135mm lens on - and was then startled to find that they were actually very close. This, of course, was before the days of good quality and affordable zoom lenses, so I was stuck with 135mm. I was actually very pleased with the results, but it most definitely wasn't a walk in the park. As I recall, I was on the bottom row on the ramp and had someone with one foot on my head and another person with one foot on my shoulder. In those circumstances, framing an image isn't easy - and nor is trying to be alert for jet wash or countering vibration. But, yes, the pilots did indeed do a super job of putting the Lightnings where required...

I'm not even going to talk about the shots from the side door, other than to comment that there were two or three people who were really greedy and wouldn't move out of the way to give others a chance - especially when one of the Lightnings was coming alongside and lighting the afterburners, which produced a most splendid flame. I never did get that shot - and nor, for that matter, did I ever see any results from anyone who did.

In conclusion, it actually isn't quite as simple as just taking the shot... My camera was manual, which required focussing, setting shutter speed and aperture, framing and then trying to stay steady when hitting the shutter release button, all the time with a couple of people basically standing on top of you.... You really should try it some time...

And thanks for the kind comments, chaps...
I am not a loony... I used to be, but I think I am better now...

Fryboy

Post by Fryboy »

Hi Mad Dan
Thanks for sharing those pictures-bought back happy memories of a grand day out. I was the Herc captain that day and it was quite a challenge from up front as well. Probably still not wise to go into details but lets just say the aircraft was well broken on return to Lyneham......
I poked my nose down the back at one stage hoping to take some snaps myself for the logbook but walked into a cross between the Somme and the Millwall terraces so gave up and went back upstairs. I've got some pics taken from the flight deck windows and cupola which may be of interest. You may have also noticed another Herc lurking in the background, I have some pics taken from that of the whole formation - we were hoping to get a shot of a Lightning at 90 deg ie vertical alongside the Herc camera ship. Never quite managed it but it was fun trying. The lightning boys were superb to work with. On landing at Binbrook I was offered a ride in a T-bird as a thanks, but gave it to my co-pilot as the lightning pilot was an old mate of his. The deal was I'd come back in a couple of days and get my ride then. AOC 11 group suspended all pax flights in lightnings the following day. Bugger. Good job it wasn't my lifes ambition to fly in a lightning since the age of 4.........
I'll try and dig out those pics and get them up here,
Cheers
Dave

effects

Post by effects »

"I poked my nose down the back at one stage hoping to take some snaps myself for the logbook but walked into a cross between the Somme and the Millwall terraces so gave up and went back upstairs."

maybe you should have put the Herk into the vertical and 'lost' a few of 'em out the back. :grin:
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

nigelblake

Post by nigelblake »

Bloody awesome, especially that last one! :clap: :clap:

Fryboy

Post by Fryboy »

This is the only one i can find at the mo-I'll look harder tomorrow
Cheers
Dave

Fryboy

Post by Fryboy »

Oops and another one
sorry for the rubbish quality.
Cheers

bobtomlin

Post by bobtomlin »

Well I think they're all pretty awesome despite what's been said about
the circumstances.
To me, number two is superb. A stunning portrait of Britains' finest.
Cheers, Bob.

320psi

Post by 320psi »

Fryboy wrote:Oops and another one
sorry for the rubbish quality.
Cheers

Lovely, thats our very own 728 in her previous life, really nice to see that shot, thanks :smile: