Something bright and beautiful

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
Fred Martin

Something bright and beautiful

Post by Fred Martin »

My last few images for this year to brighten up an otherwise cold and grey December day. I shall be retireing ( yippee ) in a few days time , so should have plenty of time to post more pics from the slide collection .

DaveGriff

Re: Something bright and beautiful

Post by DaveGriff »

We look forward to your retirement with equal anticipation! Keep on posting...

bigcrow

Post by bigcrow »

Amazing scans. Where was the last one taken?

microlight

Post by microlight »

Superb shots - the Lightning certainly was a splendid beast :clap:
Pentax K5
18-55mm
Pentax 55-300mm

Wet Weather Gear .......!!!

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

:drool:

Russ

Post by Russ »

Awesome! :clap: :drool:

Keep them coming! :clap:

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

Ah! Lightnings as I remember them! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende

Westy

Post by Westy »

Simply superb :clap:

Good luck in your retirement Fred and keep posting your wonderful collection please.

PMN

Post by PMN »

You already know my general thoughts on your scanned work but I'll say it again... Stunning quality! I've thoroughly enjoyed every one of your photo posts, and this is no exception.

I shall eagerly await the next bunch! :smile:

Paul
My images on Jetphotos.net

My images on Flickr

Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

Second all Paul's comments on the scanning, all are simply stunning..........................

Brummiekid

Post by Brummiekid »

One word - Awesome!

Thank you... :clap:
Regan - "We're the Sweeney son and we haven't had any dinner"
http://www.totterdowncamping.co.uk

Mad Dan

Post by Mad Dan »

Big Crow asked: Where was the last one taken?

I'm sure Fred won't mind me answering on his behalf... It was Binbrook in August 1979 as part of the celebrations to mark the 25th anniversary of the first flight of the P.1. Sadly, the media events planned for that day were badly disrupted by some quite dreadful weather, with a mass flypast being binned altogether. The penultimate image shows part of the same line up - but appears to be missing the bogus 111 aircraft.
I am not a loony... I used to be, but I think I am better now...

F-86

Post by F-86 »

Superb shots. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fred Martin

Post by Fred Martin »

Thanks for answering that for me Lindsay . As you said , this event was to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Lightnings , ie.P 1's , first flight ,but as with all major events held at Binbrook the weather played its part in disrupting or as in this case causing the cancellation of the planned event . There was to have been a fly-past of 25 Lightnings during the afternoon which was postponed three times if I remember correctly , before it was finally cancelled altogether . Around an hour later when all aircrews had been stood down the weather broke as seen in the last but one shot . All in all though , the sight of over 30 of these beautiful beasts scattered around Binbrook's asp was still awesome . I will post a full set of pics from this event in the new year as I alraedy have most of them scanned .

Abingdonman

Post by Abingdonman »

Very nice,always good to see the Lightning pics put up on here,saw XP753 win the solo trophy at Greenham Common 1983 (to be lost the following month).....I,m so glad I managed to get to a Binbrook open day in '78' (and I chose a good day weatherwise too! :grin: ).

Lumix

Post by Lumix »

Always nice to see some Lightnings! A super set of shots :clap: :clap:

lightningdes

Post by lightningdes »

A thing of beauty is a joy forever!!!Absolutely belting shots,but the shots of XR773 and XP696 just get the nod from me.Also seeing that line-up is a winner too :clap: :clap:

tc2324

Post by tc2324 »

Regarding the last picture of the line up, can anyone tell me whats wrong with it..?? (the line up that is, not the picture) :ninja:

Abingdonman

Post by Abingdonman »

tc2324 wrote:Regarding the last picture of the line up, can anyone tell me whats wrong with it..?? (the line up that is, not the picture) :ninja:

The photographer took the first pic of the line up,walked down to the other end and took a second pic,and 'hey presto' an extra Lightning had magically appeared! :grin:

tc2324

Post by tc2324 »

Abingdonman wrote:
tc2324 wrote:Regarding the last picture of the line up, can anyone tell me whats wrong with it..?? (the line up that is, not the picture) :ninja:

The photographer took the first pic of the line up,walked down to the other end and took a second pic,and 'hey presto' an extra Lightning had magically appeared! :grin:

Close Abingdonman, but no cigar this time... :grin:

It`s been touched on in a previous reply regarding the `bogus` 111 Sqn machine. No doubt due to the reason for the special event, all Lightning Sqn`s were represented in the line up. I noticed a `Tiger` 74 Sqn machine is included in the line, and as they disbanded in 1971, this 1979 picture means it was a `special` for said event.

74 Sqn never flew `camo` Lightnings during their time, (although for a little while when the Sqn was based in the UK, they did have a `camo` T4/5 loaned to them), so this set of pics are quite unique. :wink:

supersaint

Post by supersaint »

tc2324 wrote:Close Abingdonman, but no cigar this time... :grin:

It`s been touched on in a previous reply regarding the `bogus` 111 Sqn machine. No doubt due to the reason for the special event, all Lightning Sqn`s were represented in the line up. I noticed a `Tiger` 74 Sqn machine is included in the line, and as they disbanded in 1971, this 1979 picture means it was a `special` for said event.

74 Sqn never flew `camo` Lightnings during their time, (although for a little while when the Sqn was based in the UK, they did have a `camo` T4/5 loaned to them), so this set of pics are quite unique. :wink:

Only 5 and 11 had camo Lightnings so almost all are specials for that event. 19 and 92 were all over Green, other than that the rest were Silver. Plus at the time of the pics only 5 and 11 (plus LTF) still had Lightnings!

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

As has been already mentioned, absolutly :drool: photos of a :drool: British aircraft :yahoo: . I do have one question though, in the 5th photo; the Lightning numbered XP696; I can't make out the Squadron badge, could anyone tell me??

LightningMk6

Post by LightningMk6 »

What can I say, absolutely superb, love them all

Westy

Post by Westy »

Red Dragon wrote:As has been already mentioned, absolutly :drool: photos of a :drool: British aircraft :yahoo: . I do have one question though, in the 5th photo; the Lightning numbered XP696; I can't make out the Squadron badge, could anyone tell me??

It's 226 OCU (2T squadron) out of Coltishall - around mid 1970's

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Westy wrote:
Red Dragon wrote:As has been already mentioned, absolutly :drool: photos of a :drool: British aircraft :yahoo: . I do have one question though, in the 5th photo; the Lightning numbered XP696; I can't make out the Squadron badge, could anyone tell me??

It's 226 OCU (2T squadron) out of Coltishall - around mid 1970's

Many Thanks, Westy :clap: