2010 Abingdon Charity Air & Country Show

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Re: 2010 Abingdon Charity Air & Country Show

Post by Ben H »

Bjcc wrote:Apart from the Hawk, which seemed to think the display was in Reading.

It seems that the Hawk Display is cursed for a third year running. :grin:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Jumbojet380 wrote:
boff180 wrote: (yes you read that right the TUTOR display is superb).

Well when me and my friends (also cadets) gave a big round of applause and cheered after the Tutor display loads of people gave us funny looks. :facepalm:

You weren't the gang of lads near Planes TV were you? I was the fat bloke two down.

Team Merlin

Post by Team Merlin »

Considering the huge hurdles that Neil (Old Tower) and his team had to get over this week, they put together what was over all an enjoyable day. The weather did not help in the morning with cold winds and rain beating down on everyone! It was nice to get home and warm up, it has to be said!!

For us, as one of only 3 helicopter statics on display we had a steady stream of visitors all day (particularly when it was raining! :dunno: :wink: ). Only spotted two UKAR members today despite our lovely new banner! :grin:

A report on Abingdon will follow soon on our website. If anyone has any photographs they would like included with the report please email them via the Contact Us page.

Kind regards from us all.

Danny

Post by Danny »

Random wrote:
Bjcc wrote:Apart from the Hawk, which seemed to think the display was in Reading.

It seems that the Hawk Display is cursed for a third year running. :grin:

Agreed, hopefully he'll get more confident as the season goes on. :joystick:
"Can you believe it? Chelsea will just not let go in the Champions League!"

Benson Boy

Post by Benson Boy »

Team Merlin wrote:Considering the huge hurdles that Neil (Old Tower) and his team had to get over this week, they put together what was over all an enjoyable day. The weather did not help in the morning with cold winds and rain beating down on everyone! It was nice to get home and warm up, it has to be said!!

For us, as one of only 3 helicopter statics on display we had a steady stream of visitors all day (particularly when it was raining! :dunno: :wink: ). Only spotted two UKAR members today despite our lovely new banner! :grin:

A report on Abingdon will follow soon on our website. If anyone has any photographs they would like included with the report please email them via the Contact Us page.

Well, me (and 2 other Cadets) came in, and yes, I spotted your lovely banner!

Iwishiwasapilot

Post by Iwishiwasapilot »

Was it me or did anybody think that when the F16 bottomed out of it's 1st loop (head-on to the crowd) it was rather low? :ninja:

Benson Boy

Post by Benson Boy »

Iwishiwasapilot wrote:Was it me or did anybody think that when the F16 bottomed out of it's 1st loop (head-on to the crowd) it was rather low? :ninja:

It did seem a little low, but not too low...he seemed around the same yesterday too!

spitfire66

Post by spitfire66 »

My first time to Abingdon and I had an enjoyable day - despite the best efforts of the weather.

The windy weather made for difficult fllying conditions and naturally a few withdrawls. But I dont think I was on my own to be surprised to see the Swift Glider team - I think I detected a note of suprise from the commentator as well when they came into view in the blustery conditions.

Stars of the show were all the pilots who put on polished displays and warmed us all up, especially the RAF for their tremendous support of the show. Of particular note was the carbon neutral footprint of the VC10 when it opened the throttles on the engines - great to see and I'll miss that sight when the VC10's retire.

Doesn't the Tucano look fantastic in its new colour scheme.

The F16 display made for a great finale and what an entrance - I am looking forward to seeing this team again at RIAT in July.

Finally, a big thanks to all the team for putting on such a good show. I hope the event was a success for the charity and as others have said...you have all warmed up.

Bluelion

Post by Bluelion »

I enjoyed the day immensely, despite packing for a "summers day" like we've been having for the last 2 weeks and then finding an arctic gale blowing when we got there. I thought the organisation was great, thanks OldTower. A special thanks to the Black Hawk guys, their attitude was frankly amazing, giving us a good 30 minutes of talk time, covering aspects from mission stories to technical detail, and even persuading us to have a sit in the pilots seat! That 4-star General who has that vehicle as his personal ride is a very lucky fella to have such a good crew.

As for the displays, the highlights for me were the DC3 which was almost stationary going north in the wind, and of course the F16 which was just stunning. The only slight oddity was the Hawk display, which was displaying at quite some distance. I know they warned that it was an on-crowd wind, but for future reference Tom, please do the display in the same county as the show! :grin: But seriously, challenging conditions I appreciate, and its a great colour scheme, look forward to seeing more of it.
Last edited by Bluelion on Mon 03 May 2010, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abingdonman

Post by Abingdonman »

What a nice show it would have been with the weather and without the DE hassle,but you did a grand job,and I enjoyed it very much anyway,even If I did struggle to roll a fag in the wind and cold! :grin:
Thanks very much to the organisers,and every single one involved with the show from aircrew to volunteers :clap:

pako-2008

Post by pako-2008 »

Team Merlin wrote:Considering the huge hurdles that Neil (Old Tower) and his team had to get over this week, they put together what was over all an enjoyable day. The weather did not help in the morning with cold winds and rain beating down on everyone! It was nice to get home and warm up, it has to be said!!

Was great to meet and speak to the crew today. I was inside with my grandad when there was a group of kids there. I asked 'the most intelligent question of the day' as it was put in the cockpit at the time. Thanks for taking the time to come to the show in the horrible wet and cold.
Regards
Aaron
Cheers
Aaron

HawkDisplay

Post by HawkDisplay »

Thanks for that. It makes all the effort feel worthwhile.

I'm afraid that's the best I can do. The limits are there for a reason and I am not allowed to get any closer than I did.

My mum was there and she loved it. So there :tongue2:

chill51

Post by chill51 »

I for one always like the hawk display and i thought the display was spot on loved the 8 point roll and the best for me was the outside barrel roll very skillful and with the tricky on crowd wind aswell :clap: :clap: look forward to seeing more of the hawk this year.

Mike
Mike

Uniden UBC 780 XLT
Winradio WR-G31DDC Excalibur
Drake R8A
Diamond D.777
Wellbrook ALA 1530L
AirNav

REHEAT1230

Post by REHEAT1230 »

Great scheme this year

RickIngham

Post by RickIngham »

Tom, You will always have critics judging your display but just remember you were selected as the display pilot and all of us are just sat here wishing we were doing your job! Keep up the great work! :worship:

rebel14

Post by rebel14 »

My first visit to Abbo and despite the setbacks and the cold wind I still enjoyed it.A great location and some excellent display flying too. What was of concern though was that the silver range rover was despatched at least three times as people appeared to be crossing the runway down the far end. On one occasion it was a couple pushing a child in a buggy! Could not help but think what might have happened if aircraft were operating from the runway....

Anyway well done too all involved in organising the event and I hope the event is still on the airshow calendar next year, as I will return......

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Regarding the Hawk display: only saw it online thanks to Planestv, but I for one thought the outside barrel looked brilliant, as did the slow loop. I for one can't wait to see the Hawk this season. On the whole it seemed like there was more topside visible in this year's display. :clap:

Bjcc

Post by Bjcc »

Hawk Display

Perhaps I should clarify what I meant.
I accept that you are governed by rules regarding how close you can display, and work within those. Also that the Hawk is small, and at the best of times difficult to get a decent photo of.
The last few minutes of the display though was a lot further away from the crowd line than the first part. So much so, that it was difficult to see the aircraft, and pointless trying to photograph it. What the reasons for that distance are, you're best to answer, but it seemed pointless to me, and a fair few people around where I was. As I recall last years display did not include the maneuvers at that distance.
It's not as Rick says, never being able to please everyone (and I'd rather he didn't try and speak for me, I'm quite able to put my own point!), it's more a matter of wondering if that is always going to be in your display, and why it's needed.
Not a number, I'm a free man

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjcc/

KevinJ

Post by KevinJ »

Bjcc wrote:Hawk Display

It's not as Rick says, never being able to please everyone (and I'd rather he didn't try and speak for me, I'm quite able to put my own point!), it's more a matter of wondering if that is always going to be in your display, and why it's needed.

And where exactly does Rick say those things? I've looked back and I don't see that post, or any reference to you in his post? Perhaps before speaking for other people YOU should get your facts straight!

And when you've trained for years to fly a Hawk, I'll respect your opinion on how to display one. No doubt the display has many objectives, filling camera lenses is probably low on the list, although I've seen a few good shots from yesterday.

Bleeding armchair experts!

HawkDisplay

Post by HawkDisplay »

Thanks for the comments, good and bad - that's just the nature of the game!

Not wishing to get drawn into a debate but Bjcc raises a good point and I can answer him easily.

is that always going to be in your display.. and why is it necessary?

Refer to the full sequence: http://www.rafhawkdisplay.com/seq10.html the last two manouevres are a loop pointing towards the crowd followed by a vertical roll pointing at crowd centre. These manouevres were included for variety as most of the show is aligned on the main axis.

Within the rules for fast jets, the minimum permitted distance from the crowd is 230 metres but when flying directly towards the crowd at speeds above 300kts the minimum distance is increased to 450 metres.

These two manouevres require a certain amount of repositioning away from the crowd to get the spacing correct. With an on-crowd wind, it is necessary to step further out to avoid busting the line on the way back in.

So to answer your questions - yes these manouevres will always be included in the full sequence but the flat and rolling are a bit closer because there are fewer manouevres pointing at the crowd above 300kts (which means I can use the 230m line rather than 450m). On different days with different conditions it may not be necessary to reposition quite so far away.

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

Tom, what were you using as your 230m line?

Bjcc

Post by Bjcc »

Kevin

Tom, You will always have critics judging your display

As I said, I don't need him to speak for me.

Neither do I profess to be an 'armchair expert', I made a point, something everyone is entitled too. If you want censored sycophantic reading, then you're in the wrong place.

Lastly, Hawk Display, thanks, makes more sense now.
Not a number, I'm a free man

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjcc/

Vulcanhopefull

Post by Vulcanhopefull »

Firstly would like thank every one conected with the show a great big thank you. :clap: :clap: Every stall or static aircraft went out of their way to make us feel very welcome. I had to smile at how many times it was comented on by Mr Maffett that the aircraft were not allowed to land. Looked like quite a few stalls decided to stay away which was a shame but was more than made up for by the great flying display. Very nice to say hello to Gareth and Team Merlin again and letting us have a look around.
Lets hope next year any problems with the use of the runway and DE can be resolved before show day as i am sure it must have caused a massive sense of anguish for the Abingdon team. Well done again :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

Bjcc wrote:Kevin

Neither do I profess to be an 'armchair expert', I made a point, something everyone is entitled too. If you want censored sycophantic reading, then you're in the wrong place.

Ah thats more like it, typical BJCC arrogance. If you remember your first point which was

Bjcc wrote:I thought, given the circumstances, if was very good.
Apart from the Hawk, which seemed to think the display was in Reading. I hope that was a one off, and the rest of the displays will take place somewhere near the venue.

Having preached the need to try to find out reasons for things before trying petulant foot stamping, you then let rip with an exceedingly sarcastic comment before trying to get an explanation!

And you wonder why people get annoyed in response? Fair play to Hawk Display, listening to some of us he could be excused for thinking 'why do I bother?'

KevinJ

Post by KevinJ »

Bjcc wrote:Kevin

Lastly, Hawk Display, thanks, makes more sense now.

And I'll say again, for the hard of thinking, he's just making a statement, displays do always have critics judging their displays. Rick was not speaking for you, or anyone else specifically for that matter, that's how I read it. If you're going to take posts out of context at least have the grace to admit your were wrong. It's not about you!!!

I don't mind seeing posts that critique things in a responsible and thoughtful way, but your's was sarcastic and childish.