Bruntingthorpe 30/05/2010

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
AdamN

Bruntingthorpe 30/05/2010

Post by AdamN »

Just a small selection, seeing as I've shot most of it to death in the past. Nice to see a few new things - the second Starfighter was a surprise.

Highlight of the day

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Bruntingthorpe 30/05/2010

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Lightning shot is ace.

I knew they were repainting the Victor, and I have to say it looks pretty horrendous.... :sick:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

AdamN

Post by AdamN »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Lightning shot is ace.

I knew they were repainting the Victor, and I have to say it looks pretty horrendous.... :sick:

Cheers. And I think they've done it in desert pink, as opposed to hemp. Doesn't really look right...

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Aye, but it doesn't look like the right shade for desert pink either...?

Any other shots of it?

AdamN

Post by AdamN »

With a bit of sun on it

Could certainly do with fading a little in the sun.
Last edited by AdamN on Sun 30 May 2010, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Doesn't look so bad there, actually.

Were ever painted in desert pink though?

AdamN

Post by AdamN »

As far as I know, they were all in hemp, but I couldn't say for certain. You can definitely see the difference alongside photos of her in her original hemp paint, though.

T.S.W

Post by T.S.W »

Remember that alot of the shots you see of Hemp aircraft are after the Gulf War and look lighter.Sorry for stating the obvious here.

AndyBeau

Post by AndyBeau »

Not sure about it myself. :sick:

Hemp, white or camo would have been better.

Adam, shot of BQ is excellent! :clap:

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Do like that Bucc shot! How long's the Mystere been there?
I hope your highlight of the day made a taxi run and wasn't static only!

AdamN

Post by AdamN »

J35 Draken wrote:Do like that Bucc shot! How long's the Mystere been there?
I hope your highlight of the day made a taxi run and wasn't static only!

Been there years, but it looks like it might finally be getting a repaint.

And I caught it departing at the end, so naturally I was delighted.

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

Great shots, Adam... Nice to see what I missed out on. Bet if I'd have gone it would have lashed it down! Lol

Iain

(you still up for Tuesday?)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

The Victor does look :sick:

They were never desert pink, and Hemp has never looked like that.

That is :pinkwafer:

Why?

F-86

Post by F-86 »

Love the Lightning shot, victor paint is bit of a shame really as it wouldn't have been any harder to get it right but i suppose at least they are doing something to preserve it.

AdamN

Post by AdamN »

iaint wrote:Great shots, Adam... Nice to see what I missed out on. Bet if I'd have gone it would have lashed it down! Lol

Iain

(you still up for Tuesday?)

You seem to be cursing Tuesday's weather, so I'll have to see!

Stu

Post by Stu »

Nice selection :clap:
Olympus Cameras

UBC780XLT
DJ-X10
DJ-X3

Representing www.simplyplanes.co.uk

mat7w

Post by mat7w »

‘Victor In The Pink’

We have been following with interest the comments written on this and other forums regarding the ‘new’ colour scheme selected for XM 715 during her 6 month occupation of the hangar at Bruntingthorpe. It had been our intention to repaint ‘Tina’ in hemp after carrying out remedial work that had become necessary following 17 years of exposure to the elements since arriving at Bruntingthorpe as part of the Cold War Jet Collection.

During the prep work prior to applying fresh paint it became clear that the aircraft had previously been painted in a brownish / pink colour under its matt hemp finish. We obviously were well aware that she had been one of the 8 Victors sent to the Gulf to provide tanker support to the Coalition Forces in ‘Operation GRANBY’, as part of the Gulf War offensive.

After quite a bit of research we discovered that all of these aircraft were painted in ‘Desert Pink’, which is more of a sand colour, so the general consensus amongst our volunteers was that ‘Teasin Tina’ should return to her ‘war colours’ as a tribute to our brave forces that went into battle against Sadam’s tyrannical regime. A major paint supplier came and matched the new paint exactly to that which had been uncovered under the hemp – so the shade and colour match is near perfect!

There is already Elvington’s Victor painted in hemp so it seemed sensible to display the aircraft in another authentic colour scheme. We had considered white, but a white aircraft that lives unprotected in the British climate, would have been very difficult to keep in a presentable condition for very long.

The next large aircraft destined for the paint shop is the Comet – some of the ‘armchair critics’ may not be enthusiastic about its chosen paint scheme – we shall just have to wait and see…!

Matt Walton & The Cold War Jets Volunteers

2e1var

Post by 2e1var »

I think she looks smashing anyway, good job.
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Pro-2006, Pro-2042, IC-7300, IC-7100, Airspy R2
Sony a58, Sony 70-300G

blackasenna

Post by blackasenna »

She looks like she's just be painted ready for deployment back to the Gulf.

Well done, She looks fantastic. :clap:

Captain_Carisma

Post by Captain_Carisma »

I'm not that fussed if she's the 'wrong shade of pink'; as long as she's being looked after and get the care and attention she deserves thats all I'm worried about.

I think she looks great, and well done to those who put in so much effort to keep her going.
I've brought you a gift; I'll give you a hint, it's in my diaper, and it's not a toaster!

T.S.W

Post by T.S.W »

Well put Matt.

I for one was in the RAF at the time of the first Gulf War.And i can without reservation confirm that the Victor is as i remember.Also at least one Tristar was this colour.I recall seeing her at Brize having taken my Flight Sargeant to Brize to catch the flight to Saudi.At the time i thought "how odd".

Keep up the good work.

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

Sorry Matt but no Victor ever wore desert pink, and there are ample photos of her in the Gulf War and immediately afterwards showing her in hemp. I am aware there are several web pages stating that Victors wore pink but they are all in error and probably all came from one erroneous source. Produce one pic of an in-service pink Victor and I'll personally finish off the respray of the flaps :whistle:

T.S.W

Post by T.S.W »

I think to clarify the situation of what we think and do not think was or is the correct colour,we have to remember that pictures taken were at the time before digital.And depending on the film and processing,depends on what shade of pink,hemp what ever you will see.Surely i am right on that point.

All i can say is i saw what i saw.And my vision is perfect lol.

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

You are mistaken.

Trenchard

Post by Trenchard »

I am all for the current layer of paint applied to 'Tina', anything that can be done to preserve these old Cold War warriors is worthy of note, however it is the wrong colour as I'm certain the Victor fleet never were painted in 'Desert Pink'

It also seems an odd colour to find under the Hemp that she wore, perhaps it makes the RAF painters and finishers appear to be a bit slap dash. Please bear with me while I try to explain.

I believe it is common ground that all Victors were painted in the 'Hemp' colour scheme well prior to our involvement with Op Granby. The recent strip down shows a 'Pink' colour under the Hemp that has been interpreted as desert pink. Is it not feasible that this is the primer colour for the Hemp overcoat?

If this is not the case and it is not the primer/undercoat, we have to believe that the Hemp painted Victors were over painted in the 'desert pink' which is the first noted use of ARTF, an Alkali Removeable Temporary Finish, a finish that was fairly rapidly removed from all other aircraft subsequent to their return to the UK. We have to accept that these aircraft were marked with nose art and mission markings on that temporary finish, and that on their return they were not stripped of the ARTF but were painted Hemp straight over the top of that temporary finish, with the painters and finishers going to all the trouble to repaint the nose art and mission marks as well?

I'm sorry but in the RAF that I knew at the start of the 1990's that series of events is a non starter, compounded by the fact the aircraft never wore the colour in the first place. I am convinced, but possibly totally wrong, that the colour found under the Hemp exterior of 'Tina' was an undercoat/ primer for the Hemp colour scheme.

I don't suppose 'Lindy' at Elvington as a small patch that could be rubbed down to see what colour lies beneath her Hemp exterior, or that we have an old 'dopey' from Marham lurking who could tell us the proper story :whistle: