D-Day Airshow - 6 June 2010

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Manonthefence

Re: D-Day Airshow - 6 June 2010

Post by Manonthefence »

Saracen wrote:
Manonthefence wrote:The weather's looking good this morning, line up is excellent.

Be there or be square :lol:

Nothing but Grey cloud here (23 miles away)

Today I shall be Square :sad:

Forecast for this afternoon is good

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

The Dak has apparently cancelled. Weather currently low cloud and mist so the visiting P-51s etc. haven't made it in yet. The forecast is for the mist to burn off in the next couple of hours and the cloud base to rise along with an increase in wind - well the wind has picked up at OW so that at least is matching the forecast!

NeilH68

Post by NeilH68 »

Got close and the mist made me think twice and come home! Hope those who went have a good day.

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

Mist has cleared, flying just about to start.

NeilH68

Post by NeilH68 »

Will wait for the photos...have fun!

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

Mustang is on its way!

Arno 01

Post by Arno 01 »

Two Mustangs, but then a heavy rain and thunderstorm, never seen so much rain in such a short time......... Dc-3 was damaged last night, so could not make it. Not alot of sun about, but a good show :clap:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

What a cracking little show, even with all the weather problems it still was a good days photography!

Stars of the day for me were the Gladiator and the Sea Hurricane, superb and very close displays; they were really thrown around!

Just got home with 20gb worth of photo's to process! All with the new camera and lens, looking forward to seeing the results.

Andy

Manonthefence

Post by Manonthefence »

Another cracking display. Star item for me was the Sopwith Triplane closely followed by the Mustangs.

Putting the aircraft away in the wet was fun as well.

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Fantastic flying, but the end was a little bit wet. Shame we didn't get to see Alister Kay tearing it up in 'Frankie, but I can hardly complain after some of the other displays! Special mention to the Triplane, uber-close Mustang pair and PT's P-40 display. Well worth the £25...

I'm still drying off. :sweat:

Rob Leigh

Post by Rob Leigh »

WTF have you got on your feet? Hippy arrows

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Not-quite-Jesus-sandals, with the front bit undone. The rain killed both the velcro and the soles, it was quite dangerous to walk on them!

Rob Leigh

Post by Rob Leigh »

I'd have thought it was quite dangerous to be seen wearing them.

You do look like a wet giant.

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Camo shorts and sandals are all the rage, I'll have you know. I was beating the ladies off with a stick at OW.

P.S. Does anyone know what happened to the C-47? Commentator said it was damaged the night before... :question:

Rob Leigh

Post by Rob Leigh »

There's another version that says the weather was so poor that that the pilot didn't fancy the trip.

PaulHP

Post by PaulHP »

How many people left when they made the announcement, unbelievable! What happened to the BBMF?

Had to laugh though: Mustang One - "I would like to land", Old Warden Tower - "The weather is rainy with thunder and lightning", Mustang One "I know that's why I want to land"

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

PaulHP wrote:Had to laugh though: Mustang One - "I would like to land", Old Warden Tower - "The weather is rainy with thunder and lightning", Mustang One "I know that's why I want to land"

Wish I'd had a radio to hear that :grin: Understandable though, metal Mustangs and fork lightning don't mix :shock:

It was a shame about the weather during the day but it didn't stop the fantastic flying going ahead. My favourite displays had to be the Sopwith Triplane, P-40 and the Mustang pair. Thanks to all for a great show :clap:

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

An excellent show and the flying was great. I was not expecting a paired Mustang display as it was not the usual combination I have seen before and it was brilliant. The weather 'improved' as the afternoon went on until the sudden reversal toward the end.

Though mostly cloudy it was bright enough most of the time for decent photography with a little bit of hazy blueness in places here and there. The Triplane put on a merry dance.

Shame the Dak could not make it. Perhaps another time for a landing?

Cheers

Martin

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

EMarsh wrote:Fantastic flying, but the end was a little bit wet. Shame we didn't get to see Alister Kay tearing it up in 'Frankie, but I can hardly complain after some of the other displays! Special mention to the Triplane, uber-close Mustang pair and PT's P-40 display. Well worth the £25...

I'm still drying off. :sweat:

The question is Elliot, will the camo shorts be out for Legends (if they've dried by then)?? I might whip out my camo shorts for Legends, though i'll pass on the sandals. :cool: :lol:

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.