Legends 2010

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
AndyBeau

Re: Legends 2010

Post by AndyBeau »

A great day today!

My only disappointment was the Mustang display. I wanted them tail chasing down the edges of the airfield rather than in front. Can't win them all I guess!

TheDuck

Post by TheDuck »

AndyBeau wrote:A great day today!

My only disappointment was the Mustang display. I wanted them tail chasing down the edges of the airfield rather than in front. Can't win them all I guess!

Have to agree, just did not understand why the P-40 didn't display with the B-17? Apart from that, was a fantastic day, I thought the Yak's made up for it. :clap:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

The really question on people's lips is: Was 'Mancus' there and if so what trouble did he cause? :tongue:

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Cloud here in Cambridgeshire clearing. Blue sky approaching. :cool:

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

Mattster256

Post by Mattster256 »

Thanks for the weather update James, i've been worried all morning whats goin on up there. I cant remember how many times i've to legends, but i still get really excited before every one. I cannot wait to get there! About an hour and a halfs time i'll sittin watchin dragon rapides and tiger moths flying over head, whilst lookin down the flightline at one of the most comprehensive gatherings of aircraft you can see anywhere in the world. This definitly deserves a 'life is good' :cool: :biggrin: :yahoo:
Live life to the full and never look back.

timuss

Post by timuss »

What can i say what a great day, thoroughly enjoyed my first Legends i shall be back. I spent the day down near the tank bank and really enjoyed myself so many highlights loved the Norwegian dakota display very impressive flying indeed. And the Sea Fury's a first for me really great. Loved the Joker slot in the wildcat.

Im just gutted that so many of my pics were spoilt i had dropped my shutter speed down to 1.160 catching the aircraft taxiing back and not changed it so many of my Balbo shots came out all blurd a rookie mistake :mad: :sad: But never mind looking into doing both days next year.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

MP 2484

Post by MP 2484 »

What a great show yesterday, helped by the gorgeous weather :sweat: . Only one comment really, being the 70th aniversary of the Battle Of Britain did anyone else think that the amount of Hurricanes seemed a little light?

But apart from that I loved every minute of it, the Seafire take off was a bit heart in the mouth though.

The only downside of the whole day was sitting for an hour in traffic trying to get over the Dartford bridge on the way home.

May post up some pics later once i've sorted through them all.

Cheers
Mike

timuss

Post by timuss »

MP 2484 wrote:What a great show yesterday, helped by the gorgeous weather :sweat: . Only one comment really, being the 70th aniversary of the Battle Of Britain did anyone else think that the amount of Hurricanes seemed a little light?

But apart from that I loved every minute of it, the Seafire take off was a bit heart in the mouth though.

The only downside of the whole day was sitting for an hour in traffic trying to get over the Dartford bridge on the way home.

May post up some pics later once i've sorted through them all.

Cheers
Mike

Yeah the traffic at Dartford was horrendous i was easily stuck there for at least an hour.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner

duxfordhawk

Post by duxfordhawk »

Fantastic show as always at Legends and the hottest I can remember.
Highlights for me were the Yak displays, the Seafury pair, the sight of 3 Fury type Bi-planes flying together and four on the flightline that was something hugely special.
The Norway Dakota put on one of the best if not the best displays I have seen a Dakota do, Also Alisair Kay put on a lovely solo in the OFMC's P-51 although the commentators said it was Steve Hinton.

Lastly it was lovely to see Stephen Grey back in the Bearcat as the joker, Also the piece in the programme about him a Ray Hanna makes a mighty fine read.

Another amazing day well done to all the organisers and a big thanks.
Martin
To see my Photos go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Just got back from my fourth and final day at DX this week. So sad it is all over. Today we went up to the tank and wow, it was fantastic. The Yaks, Sea Fury, DC-3, were all very good, though everything was a highlight on both days. Typical, I went yesterday, and didn't put any sun cream on, and didn't get burnt. Go today, and did put sun cream on, then got burnt on the neck. :lol:
Oh well it was worth it.

As for the Hurricanes, Shuttleworth's was displaying at Yeovilton, though had a problem so didn't, therefore Hangar 11's Hurribomber went to Yeovilton. I have no clue on the mk I Hurricane.

Thanks to the IWM, and especially TFC for a fantastic event, and I look forward to next years Flying Legends. :clap: :rock:, which will hopefully have some gorgeous weather like this year. :whistle: :cool: :love:

James

andyroot

Post by andyroot »

Great show as always, Just a quick comment on the traffic, I thought it was the best year so far, I arrived early (7.00am) and was about 10th in the que. I was parked by the land warfare hall and getting out at the end was fantastic, about 5 minutes from getting into car and the exit, much better then previous years. Nice to have a few more marchelles around at the end of the show to see everyone out. Thought the highlight was the seafire takeoff and opening spitfire display. roll on RIAT

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

As if I haven't watched enough P 51 action over the past four days, Miss Velma is now displaying over my house. :drool: :rock: :worship:

James

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Really enjoyed sundays flying legends display highlights for me were the mustang tailchase, and the SpitfireTailchase, also the Seafire takeoff was unnerving to watch looked like it was going to touch the ground but luckily it got airborne just. Also a real thrill to see the BBMF Lancaster interesting approach with the Mk2 Spitfire from the rear of the crowd to start the bbmf display which was great to see, but does anyone know where the BBMF Hurricane went ? it tookoff supposedly to display with the lanc and the mk2 spit that had arrived from Cambridge airport and also for its solo display but it never materialised. Also does anyone know why the mk2 spit didnt formate for a final pass with the Lancaster ?

Best Regards

jesterhud

Post by jesterhud »

Had a fab day, traffic was superb, in at 07:45 and parked by the land warfare hall straight away, and left not long after the show finished and barely stopped going out.
Nice touch was the book signing by James May in the Airspace hanger, hope the kid in the yellow tshirt got his book signed after he left the queue half way through to get a book to get signed and the grumpy official wouldnt let him back to his place in the queue and he had to go to the back... :wat:
All the best freaks are here..

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

jimbob1194 wrote:As if I haven't watched enough P 51 action over the past four days, Miss Velma is now displaying over my house. :drool: :rock: :worship:

James

I believe certain Capt. Slow :whistle: might be in the back seat :biggrin:

Just got back my self, (20.20) and the traffic south bound on the M11 is snail pace.

Brian

Edit: just seen him on Top Gear and he appears to be wearing the same shirt :shock:
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Mattster256

Post by Mattster256 »

All i cazn say is wow!

The show was amazing, i was utterly blown away by the performances from everyone. I had no idea just how manuverable an I-16 was until today, 2-3 avalanches! Amazing, simply breathtaking!.

As allready mentioned, the only terrifying bit was indead the seafire, i had a grandstand view of it from the tank bank and well, everyone seemed to think that he'd lost. Thank god we were all proved wrong!

Highlights had to be:- as allways the spitfire 'overture', with the Mk19 and the other spit (of which i'm not sure the mark) beating up the tank bank incesantly. The three yaks, I-16, P-51's, Sea Furies and Hawker biplanes.

But the one thing that made me smile biggest of all was the fantastic sight of Mr Stephen Grey finally returning to the 'joker' spot in the balbo, in the ever faithful and fantastic F8F Bearcat.

Hats of to Mr Grey for organising the show, and Mr Kinsey for organising the fantastic flying routines that graced the skies over cambridge this whole weekend :drool: :worship: :rock:

jesterhud

Post by jesterhud »

Was it just me thinking this or were there fewer people there today than usual ??
Havent been for a few years so not able to compare, was wondering if it was due to the football and Grand Prix ?
All the best freaks are here..

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

jesterhud wrote:Was it just me thinking this or were there fewer people there today than usual ??
Havent been for a few years so not able to compare, was wondering if it was due to the football and Grand Prix ?

Could have been the weather report, which was wrong again. The last one I saw for Sunday had rain over Cambridgeshire most of the day. There was a bit of rain first thing but by the afternoon it was nearly 'Scorchio' again.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

st24

Post by st24 »

T'was most enjoyable day as ever, even if there were'nt the numbers of the last 2 years (IMHO). Just the sight of 6 Spitfires climbing to height in that lovely blue sky, wow, and the opening flypast, s'pose its what legend is all about. Can't help coming over all silly when the balbo roars over too. :clap:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

timuss

Post by timuss »

st24 wrote:T'was most enjoyable day as ever, even if there were'nt the numbers of the last 2 years (IMHO). Just the sight of 6 Spitfires climbing to height in that lovely blue sky, wow, and the opening flypast, s'pose its what legend is all about. Can't help coming over all silly when the balbo roars over too. :clap:

Yeah the balbo was something special the first time for me, and it was one hell of an experience.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner

simi_av8r

Post by simi_av8r »

An excellent show for my first, and most certainly not the last Legends i attend :rock: Managed to get in and parked up by about 8:30ish, having been marshalled straight to the parking at the Land Warfare area where we set up 'base camp' for the day - thanks to everyone who suggested this before.

Like others have said above, i would have liked to see more Hurricanes to balance the number of Spitfires, but overall a great showing by all... Hats off to the guys and girls behind this all, a fantastic show, and you've got me hooked for next year already.

Just one observation i did make, and it's a big compliment to the organisers here, having the display start later in the afternoon, rather than throughout the day really helped spread the day out. We used the morning to visit the stalls (i'm sure the stall owners must get a lot out of the format too), museum and other exhibits, then back to the 'base camp' for lunch and to await the display in the afternoon - competing air show organisers, take note, Duxford's Flying Legends may be onto something!

Right, off to download my photos and then check through them all...if i find any i really like, i'll add them to my Flickr
page later and you can laugh at them!

Cheers for now,

Si

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Another thing that makes DX unique with any show is time. You constantly have something displaying in front of you, and when one item has finished displaying, the next item is straight in. Just thought I would say that, after the 9 years of visiting DX shows. :clap: :lol:

James

vtecsilver

Post by vtecsilver »

Another excellent Legends day :smile:
Despite not getting there till after 10am, no problems with traffic or queing, and just managed to find a few spaces in front of the tank bank. Left at almost 7pm, so no traffic holdups going east on the A14. Really enjoyed seeing the Sea Furys, though shame there were no B24s this year.
A great job done by the organisers, staff and volunteers!

st24

Post by st24 »

vtecsilver wrote:, though shame there were no B24s this year.
!

Yeh, damn those Liberators for never turning up anywhere! :wink:

jimbob1194 wrote:Another thing that makes DX unique with any show is time. You constantly have something displaying in front of you, and when one item has finished displaying, the next item is straight in. Just thought I would say that, after the 9 years of visiting DX shows. :clap: :lol:

James

Didn't mention that as its always a given - absolutely immaculate running for an air show. - non stop 3 and a bit hours rather than 6/7/8 hours with half of that with full on action taking place.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Mattster256

Post by Mattster256 »

I think he meant B-25's, cos as far as i'm aware the only 'Liby' operates with the CAF, and somehow i cant see them wheeling Dougan out of the AAM :grin: