What did you think of the show?

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
baseleg

What did you think of the show?

Post by baseleg »

I thought the organisers did an excellent job. I attended Thur to Sun and it was time and money well spent.

The flying display was top notch and how can anyone not be in awe at the sight and sounds of the Balbo. I had to put my camera down and just watch. It's a shame that the A26 cancelled, because I still haven't seen her. Maybe next time.

Personally I had no problems getting in and out and all the people I saw were being very civil and patient. Then again in that heat who wanted to rush around ;-)

I hope that everyone else had just as good a time as I did. Looking forward to the BoB show in September.

Regards,
Ashley

jimbob1194

Re: What did you think of the show?

Post by jimbob1194 »

MEHHHH, it was ok.......................... :wink: :tongue: :lol:

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

Downes0106

Post by Downes0106 »

Shame the majority of the Spits and all the P-51's did their tail-chase over the back rather than coming round the corner, otherwise it was a good show - not as good as previous years, but still good none the less.
Scott

Canon EOS7D, with 30D Back-up
Canon 100-400MM IS, 70-200MM plus some wide-angle/macro stuff

RodMcKenzie

Post by RodMcKenzie »

Certainly not the best ever, but let's face it, there's no such thing as a 'bad' Legends - this is the show that grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go for three hours. Loved the Polikarpov, the Hawker Trio and those wonderful Yaks. Even the commentary seemed a bit more apropos than usual (it probably helped that when Monsieur Chabbert launched into his spiel about the French winning the Battle of Britain, I couldn't hear because the three Skyraiders were running up in front of me!)
Destiny, Harmony, Melody, Rhapsody & Symphony

graydays

Post by graydays »

It's a shame that the A26 cancelled, because I still haven't seen her. Maybe next time

Lets hope its not sold over the pond :sad: . Maybe mr grey could be persuaded to buy her :clap: . He could use it for his personal runabout as its still fitted out inside for executive transport

EGL

Post by EGL »

graydays wrote:
It's a shame that the A26 cancelled, because I still haven't seen her. Maybe next time

Lets hope its not sold over the pond :sad: . Maybe mr grey could be persuaded to buy her :clap: . He could use it for his personal runabout as its still fitted out inside for executive transport

I thought he only wanted aircraft he could fly, therefore no twins!

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

EGL wrote:
graydays wrote:

Yep, that's why they got rid of the Tigercat, and the B 25 'Grumpy'

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

timuss

Post by timuss »

Well i thoroughly enjoyed my first Legends. Just wall to wall action at times i found myself putting the camera down and just taking it all in. Lots of highlights for me the Spitfire tail chase, the Sea Furies and the DC3 amoungst many. Just a really great day i shall be back thats for sure.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

Rob.Brindley

Post by Rob.Brindley »

EGL wrote:
graydays wrote:

Please forgive my stupidity as I have heard about the twins before, But why is he not allowed to fly them? Is it an age thing as surely he is one of the most experienced Warbird pilots on such a variety of aircraft?

Rob.

TheDuck

Post by TheDuck »

Rob.Brindley wrote:
EGL wrote:
graydays wrote:

Please forgive my stupidity as I have heard about the twins before, But why is he not allowed to fly them? Is it an age thing as surely he is one of the most experienced Warbird pilots on such a variety of aircraft?

Rob.

You would think so but thats the rule. Stupid really. :confused:

RodMcKenzie

Post by RodMcKenzie »

IIRC, it's a European ruling that decrees "high performance" twins can only be flown by pilots UNDER a specified age - absolutely bonkers, but then so are many of the rules now governing warbird operations :clown:

classicaviation

Post by classicaviation »

RodMcKenzie wrote:IIRC, it's a European ruling that decrees "high performance" twins can only be flown by pilots UNDER a specified age - absolutely bonkers, but then so are many of the rules now governing warbird operations :clown:

correction *many of the rules
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm

classicaviation

I agree with the common consensus that, despite difficulties and problems with regulation, we will be back next year because this IS one of the greatest shows in the world. Depending on your preferences in aviation this or Wanaka are THE greatest shows in the world.

The hard work and effort that goes in behind the scenes is staggering and appreciation of this is important as one day, god forbid, this show may one day not exist.
Let's not forget the amount of work that goes in to keeping each of the 50+ birds we saw to keep them in operable and airworthy condition. 99% is privately funded which is, again, amazing as the rest of the world - and probably all of us on here too - tightens their belts.
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm

lanemiker

Post by lanemiker »

This was our second Flying Legends airshow. My wife and and I throughly enjoyed the show both days. You couldn't have asked for better weather for an airshow. The organizers did a tremendous job and the flying displays were fantastic. I only heard of two cancellations, the A-26 and Rob Davies had a hydraulic problem in his P-51D, Big Beautiful Doll. I too agree that I wished the Spifire tail chase and Mustang tail chase could have been flown in front, or a bit closer instead of in back. I do have one complaint though. The commentary for the show left less to be desired. Quite often the commentators were chatting away and a display would fly past and if you weren't watching, you would have missed the fly by. Informative bits of on the aircraft on display is always welcome, but not the utter chatter. They talked way too much during the displays. They would have been better to turn the mic off and let the music the aircraft do the talking. Maybe a change in the way they announce the show could be in order for next year's Legends. A little less chatter from the commentators would be nice. I guess the real embarassment came when one of the commentators was speaking with Elly Sallingboe and he referred to the B-17 as an "old dog" "Old Dog"? I have never heard the B-17 referred to as an "old dog" The "Queen of the Skies" maybe, but never an "old dog". To my wife and I it was a very disrespectful comment on a wonderful warrior from World War II. I'm sure her father, (who recently passed away) who flew as a ball turret gunner on a B-17 with the 305th BG out of Chelveston and flew 35 missions over Germany would have cringed when he heard the commentator refer to the plane that he loved so dearly referred to as an "old dog".

Always a pleasure to attend shows at Duxford. All the personnel and volunteers are tremendous and very helpful. We're looking forward to the Battle of Britain Airshow in September.

Lance
Canon 7D (2) gripped, Canon 40D gripped, 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS, BushHawk

classicaviation

Ah but Benny Chabbott (his english name, ha!) is one of the atmosphere creators in his casual French commentary. It is as genius as it is annoying. did you know the Corsairs appeared in a series called "Baa, Baa Black Sheep"? Or that the French Air Force virtually won the Battle Of Britain before it had begun? No? Well Chabbott taught us that! They should bring the Turkish Stars commentator over to join Chabbott - that WOULD be entertaining.

As for the "old dog" reference I think that was directed at the fact it has been flying for so many years as a memorial and such a hard-working airframe. I'm sure absolutely no disrespect was intended. No-one in the aviation industry could have any reason to be disrespectful to Sally B, the charity or any part the B-17 played in history.
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm

Bert Lee

Post by Bert Lee »

classicaviation wrote:Ah but Benny Chabbott (his english name, ha!) is one of the atmosphere creators in his casual French commentary. It is as genius as it is annoying. did you know the Corsairs appeared in a series called "Baa, Baa Black Sheep"?

This one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baa_Baa_Bl ... (TV_series)
Bert
Fragile but Agile.

hedgerowops

Post by hedgerowops »

It was the usual Flying Legend's EXCELLENT a really good day out.Well done to all involved food wise the cafe that's in front of the super hanger were barbecueing sausage's and burger's i tried a burger which was very good. :clap:
Chris

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Really enjoyed sundays flying legends display this year highlights for me were the mustang tailchase, and the SpitfireTailchase, also the Seafire takeoff was impressive too. Also a real thrill to see the BBMF Lancaster interesting approach with the Mk2 Spitfire from the rear of the crowd to start the bbmf display which was great to see, but does anyone know where the BBMF Hurricane went ? it tookoff supposedly to display with the lanc and the mk2 spit that had arrived from Cambridge airport and also for its solo display but it never materialised. Also does anyone know why the mk2 spit didnt formate for a final pass with the Lancaster any info would be appreciated ?

Best Regards

Bert Lee

Post by Bert Lee »

The Hurricane had a generator problem.

Myself and Mr Boghopper offered assistance and they soon had it fixed with help from our friends at Arco.

As the generator had been changed within the past 2 weeks it was decided to return the aircraft to base without displaying.

Bert
Fragile but Agile.

classicaviation

That would be the one! Not that I've ever seen it! Any good??
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm

RodMcKenzie

Post by RodMcKenzie »

@ Bert Lee: just in case you're not in on the joke, Chabbert's continual reference to 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' is a running gag amongst certain members of the "anorak" fraternity (I'm looking at you classicaviation :handbag: ) - it's become almost a much of a cliche as "by the way, did you know the French won the Battle of Britain?" :sleepy: