RAF Kenley airday 2010

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
jaguarfarewellday

RAF Kenley airday 2010

Post by jaguarfarewellday »

Saturday 14th August will see a special 70th anniversary of the battle of britain airday at the former raf fighter base. the bbmf are booked to display & other display acts will be coming & going during the days event. :smile:

http://www.rafkenleyairday.co.uk
what we have here is a complete lack of respect for the law !

Tangoringo

Re: RAF Kenley airday 2010

Post by Tangoringo »

Also due to display ( with the normal health warnings )
Red Arrows fly through.
Pitts
Yak 52
Harvard
Possible Tiger Moth
BBMF Spit and Hurri ( hopefully landing )
Locally based glider display ( Viking )

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

bottom of the web page says:

Make a day of it, bring a picnic or buy refreshments on site.

EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED - BE EARLY

Sounds interesting
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

lightningdes

Post by lightningdes »

As this is my local,I can strongly recommend this airfield if you like WW2.Still has air raid shelters visible and other points of interest,including a great memorial and also has a cracking pub round the corner in Old Lodge Lane called the Wattenden arms.A pub used by the pilots and still has that charm. :smile:

Flyforfun

Post by Flyforfun »

And don't forget the r/c model aircraft which will also be landing ! (hopefully )

duxfordhawk

Post by duxfordhawk »

Any updates on this event at all?
I live locally and hope to be able to come along.
Martin
To see my Photos go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/

Tangoringo

Post by Tangoringo »

pbeardmore wrote:bottom of the web page says:

Make a day of it, bring a picnic or buy refreshments on site.

EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED - BE EARLY

Sounds interesting

See my earlier post......the red should be performing a fly through at some point.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

well the weather was pretty dreadful in the afternoon with a massive downpour leading to a mass exodus around 2.45. The Great War display team flew amongst the grey clouds and dealt with some serious standing water when landing. As usual, it got much better once most had left.

Its a great location with steeps of history and I hope this experince has not put the organisers off for next year.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Tailspin

Post by Tailspin »

I was hanging about at the bottom of the runway from about 1100 until 1400. I saw a number of people walking off after they heard the BBMF had cancelled due to inclemement weather. The aforementioned downpour then hit the airfield.

I overheard the commentator say that the last show was in 2005 so I assume they only have it every five years. I overheard a Kenley local saying that the BBMF usually does a flypast every year but they don't put on a show like the one they did this past weekend.

Well played to the Great War team and the Croydon Airport Model Aircraft boys for their great displays.

If it wasn't for the weather it would have been a great show. There was enough people there.

Paul

Nikon John

Post by Nikon John »

What a great shame the weather was so dreadful. With Kenley`s history it`s such a shame that in this, the 70th Anniversary year of the Battle of Britain, that the BBMF Spit` and Hurricane couldn`t appear, let alone land. I understand a site survey was done by a BBMF Chippy` some time ago so I guess the BBMF will also be very dissapointed.

Were there any other links to the "Battle" brought in for the show? Veterans etc. I`ve been having a search on the web but can`t find anything.

John
"All battles are fought by scared men who'd rather be some place else."