US Airshows

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
DanH

US Airshows

Post by DanH »

Hi everyone,

We're considering going over to the states next year for an airshow but I really don't know where to start. I have no idea which ones are the best so I was wondering if anyone could give me any advise/recommendations based on their own experiences. I'm particularly keen to see the Blue Angels as I've always wanted to see them but never have.

Cheers guys.

Dan.
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

McG

Re: US Airshows

Post by McG »

If the Blues are your main focus, then I would suggest the 1st place to start would be the Blues website to get a list of their 2011 display dates.

IanOlder

Post by IanOlder »

Oceana & Pensacola immediately spring to mind if you want the Blue Angels but as mentioned it would be worth waiting for their 2011 schedule to be released and then heading to the websites of the shows concerned. Also keep in mind next years US Navy celebrations, a quote lifted from their website...

Beginning January 2011, the Navy will hold a year-long celebration of the men and women whose tremendous achievements have contributed to a century of aviation progress. Celebrations will be held across the country to recognize and commemorate these achievements, and these aircraft are designed to provide a visible reminder of our naval aviation heritage and will serve as just one of the many centennial observances.

A few aircraft have started to appear in special markings already.

McG

Post by McG »

Further to my previous post, the Blue Angels website actually lists their 2011 show dates already.

http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/index.htm

FRM

Post by FRM »

I would seriously consider Miramar as it is just about the biggest show in the USA and if you fancy a two week trip to the States, NAS Lemoore is planning a show two weeks later. Oh yes, forgot to mention that San Fransisco is having its usual fleet week show in the middle and the Blue Angels will be at all three events. California at the end of 2011, you could start planning it now. I dont know how true it is but Lemoore is supposed to be having the BIG show for the Navy's Centennial.

October 2011
1-2 MCAS Miramar, CA
8-9 San Francisco, CA
15-16 NAS Lemoore, CA

HTH
I'm not trying to be funny, but are you sure he's not a midget with a learning disability?

Harlequin67
UKAR Supporter

Post by Harlequin67 »

One thing I always look at is the runway orientation and any previous photos taken at event.

If I am going for photography I don't want to be facing the sun for most of the day. :hide:
Aviation photographer - Achievement unlocked

FRM

Post by FRM »

Miramar was voted "World's Best Military Air Show" by the International Council of Air Shows in 2007. Only photo report I can find which should give you a good idea of photography at this show is here http://www.aeroresource.co.uk/articles/2007/miramar/

San Fransisco Fleet Week show, plenty of scope at this event because it takes place over the bay in San Fransisco. http://www.funtasticus.com/2008/04/25/s ... 08-photos/

Lemoore, last show was in 2004 and reports are not as common but I have found this http://rides.webshots.com/album/4596223 ... J?start=12

Of course, you might not be a photographer but this will give you some idea if you are.
Last edited by FRM on Sat 18 Sep 2010, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not trying to be funny, but are you sure he's not a midget with a learning disability?

Air Male

Post by Air Male »

I'm going out for the Nov 1st shuttle launch, Homestead is the next weekend, I shall p[ost some photos when i get back.

Dave

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8740358@N03/

Sea King

Post by Sea King »

I'm considering NAS Oceana and MCAS Miramar next year.

FRM

Post by FRM »

The website link for the 100th Anniversary of Naval Aviation

http://www.navalaviation100.org/eventlist

This should help when planning any trip to the States in 2011.

croaky

Post by croaky »

Just got back from Miramar well worth the visit also the Midway museum is superb

Rotor

Post by Rotor »

Miramar show is against the sun for most of the Day im pretty sure

canard67

Post by canard67 »

On the Friday this year it was fog and 100ft cloud base just like most Finningley shows until just before noon then the sun burned it off. Luckily I had planned for this and did Saturday as well when
the weather was red hot like Fairford 91.

k_z

Post by k_z »

FRM wrote:I would seriously consider Miramar as it is just about the biggest show in the USA and if you fancy a two week trip to the States, NAS Lemoore is planning a show two weeks later. Oh yes, forgot to mention that San Fransisco is having its usual fleet week show in the middle and the Blue Angels will be at all three events. California at the end of 2011, you could start planning it now. I dont know how true it is but Lemoore is supposed to be having the BIG show for the Navy's Centennial.

October 2011
1-2 MCAS Miramar, CA
8-9 San Francisco, CA
15-16 NAS Lemoore, CA
HTH

I would seriously consider Oceana which is just a week before Miramar. Oceana's PAO already announced there is a chance for some special guest - I will be there for sure...
Regards,
KZ
kzielinski.pl

FRM

Post by FRM »

Miramar show does have the sun in your face for most of the day so if photography is your only thing then maybe this isn't the show for you, on the other hand it does offer so much more than just photography of flying aircraft.

I am aware that a lot of shows are trying to offer some "exciting" guests next year, Lemoore is also in this category after speaking with the PAO last week. Of course, nothing will be confirmed until nearer the show. Oceana is always a great show and I would expect nothing less from a top naval event on the east coast. :drool:

FRM

Post by FRM »

I dont know how many of you are aware but North Island is having a "once in a lifetime" celebration to kick off the Centennial year. Might be the one to plan for.

http://navycompass.com/top-stories/top- ... ic-affairs

Niallxg

Post by Niallxg »

The North Island event looks very interesting. Thanks for the headsup.

FRM

Post by FRM »

Latest info for the NAS North Island event. http://mwrtoday.com/cona/

croaky

Post by croaky »

Have made a booking to go to this one

FRM

Post by FRM »

Latest info for the North Island event courtesy of the Facebook page.

We expect 73 total static displays ranging from the Navy's first aircraft, The Curtis Triad, to our newest unmanned aerial vehicle. That total is made up of 44 current inventory aircraft (16 with heritage paint schemes) from the Coast Guard, Marines and Navy, and 29 historic Navy warbirds including the F4U Corsair, PB4Y-2 Privateer, SNJ Texan, SNB Kansan, PV-2 Harpoon, TA-4J, JN-4H Jenny, SNJ Texan, OV-10 Bronco, A-1 Triad, UH-1B Huey, HU-16 Albatross, A-1 Skyraider, T-28 Trojan, T-34B Mentor, TBM Avenger, SNJ Texan, TD2C-1 Culver, N2S Stearman, N3N Canary, and T-34B Mentor. There should also be Marine aircraft on the USS Peleliu and an SH-60R on the USS Pinckney.

The Parade of Flight will be composed of 190 aircraft the span the century of Naval Aviation. There will be more than 160 current inventory aircraft from the Coast Guard, Marines and Navy. The finale will be a 30 plus plane formation fly-by from Carrier Air Wing 9 of the John C. Stennis Carrier Strike Group. The Blue Angels will lead the Parade of flight and will be followed by almost 30 historic Navy warbirds including the STM Ryan, N3N Canary, N2S Stearman, SNJ Texan, SNB Kansan, FM-2 Wildcat, F6F Hellcat, F8F Bearcat, F4U Corsair, TBM Avenger, SBD Dauntless, PV-2 Harpoon, SB2C Helldiver, HU-16 Albatross, Four T-28 Trojans, Four T-34B Mentors, A-1 Skyraider, FJ-4 Fury, T-2 Buckeye, and T-33B Shooting Star.