AIRPOWER 2011 - Zeltweg

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
Bartek

Re: AIRPOWER 2011 - Zeltweg

Post by Bartek »

stuart n wrote:Phantom is an interesting addition to the flying line up :shock:

Flying???

sebcoe

Post by sebcoe »

Thanks for all the info folks, really looking fwd to the weekend now.

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

stuart n wrote:
emkey83 wrote:Polish MiG is still in the flying programm :confused:

http://www.airpower.gv.at/programm/

It does say "preliminary programme" and is subject to change.....

That provisional program has been updated today (Wednesday) afternoon including the Polish Mig-29 in the flying, it has not been on the list before!
The program has appearantely only been updated on the German language site, the English page still shows the list we saw all the time.
Here is my translation from the German (hopefully final) programme:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 29.06.2011. Subject to change!

9.00 to 10.00am
• Opening with 1 Eurofighter Typhoon, parachute jumps with flags using Lockheed C-130 Hercules and 3 Pilatus PC-6 Turbo Porter (incl. water drop in red-white-red colors) of the Austrian AF , Solo-Display Douglas DC-6B Flying Bulls

• Historiy of military aviation, part 1: formation of Piper PA 18 Super Cub, Cessna L-19 Bird Dog Saab 91D Safir, Solo-Display North American T-6 Texan, Solo-Display Pilatus PC-7 Turbo Trainer (Austria)

• Solo-Displays: Bede BD-5J Microjet (Flying Bulls), Friday: Pilatus PC-9M (Slovenia)

10.00 to 11.00am
• demo of the flight and defense school with a formation of 5 Alouette III (Austria)

• Solo-Displays: Agusta A109 (Belgian), F-16 Fighting Falcon (Belgian)

• Flying Bulls Aerobatic Team (Czch Rep.), only saturday: Breitling Jet Team (France)

11.00am to 01:00pm
• Solo-Displays: Bell Cobra TAH-1F (Flying Bulls), Messerschmitt Bf 109 (EADS), Messerschmitt Me 262 (EADS), Hawker Hunter (Swiss Hunter Team), Mil Mi-24 (Czech Rep.), Aero L-159 ALCA(Czech Rep.), MiG-15 (Fundacja Polskie Orly), MiG-29A Fulcrum (Slovakia)

• Formation-Display: 4 Saab 1050E (Austria)

• Turkish Stars (Turkey)

1.00 to 01.30pm
• Solo-Displays: SG-38 (Mario Selss, Germany), Edge 540 (Hannes Arch, Austria)

• Red Bull Skydive Team (Drop plane: Pilatus Porter PC-6)

• Formation: Blanix ( 2 LET L-13 Blanik gliders, Austria)

01.30 to 02.15pm
• History of military aviation, part 2: Saab 29 Tunnan (Swedish Air Force Historic Flight), Solo-Displays Saab 105OE and Eurofighter Typhoon (Austria)

• Solo-Display: Saab JAS 39 Gripen (Czech Rep.)

02.15 to 03.45pm:
• Royal Saudi Hawks (Saudi Arabia)

• Solo-Display: Fokker Dr. 1 (Mikael Carlson, Sweden)
• Formation display of the flying Bulls: Douglas DC-6B, Chance Vought F4-4U Corsair, North American B-25J Mitchell, Lockheed P-38L Lightning, 2 Alpha Jets, Pilatus Porter PC-6, Boeing PT-17 Stearman, Bell Cobra TAH-1F, 2 BO-105 and Extra 300

• Solo-Display: F-16 Fighting Falcon (Netherlands)

• Krila Oluje (“Wings of Storm”, Croatia)

03.45 to 05.00pm:
• Austrian Airforce: Battle-demo, Interception-demo, formation display of 2 Eurofighter Typhoon

• Solo-Displays: Alenia C27J Spartan (Italy), Alpha Jet (France)

05.00 to 06.00pm
• Solo-Displays: F/A-18C Hornet (Switzerland)

• Patrouille Suisse (Switzerland)

• Solo-Displays: helicopter aerobatics with BO-105 (Flying Bulls), Pilatus PC-21 (Pilatus Aircraft, Switzerland), MiG-29 Fulcrum (Poland)

Final:
• Frecce Tricolori (Italy)

----------------------------------

By the way, the video on the front page is no longer a trailer, it now shows impressions of the trainings and arrivals of today! Looks like the webmaster woke up finally!
New in the updated provisional flying program:

- Czech Hind
- Czech L159
- Czech Gripen (Tiger colors!)
- Polish Mig-29
- Me262

* The Phantom is static!
* The Austrian EF is using smokewinders for the solo flight!

If they get all this in the air I will be very happy :smile:

st24

Post by st24 »

Wow, what an incredibly good show. Brilliant. Outstanding. And suprise, suprise the Czechs are flying all 3 types, that really is sticking 2 fingers up to the UK, thanks a lot guys... :butt:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

TonyO

Post by TonyO »

Clearly there are more loose, good-looking women in Austria than in the UK...no wonder everyone wants to go to Zeltweg!
Do you want the Aladeen news or the Aladeen news?

sebcoe

Post by sebcoe »

Not seen any yet Tony...

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

Some information from Zeltweg after the first show day. Weather was ok, sun, clouds, wind, everything but no rain. Still enough clouds for the Patrouille Suisse to fly a medium show only.

Unfortunately the Saudis had to abort their display after one jet suffered a birdstrike, some little damage was visible on the nose. I hope to see the full show tomorrow.

Another mishap happend during the Austrian AF mass parachute jump from the C-130, two soldiers collided and had a hard impact on the ground. The demo was interrupted and they were flown to the hospital, fortunately both are alive - all the best for their recovery!

Otherwise great show with lots of people attending.
The Saab Tunnan did not appear due to engine problems, the Polish MiG did not fly and the Slovenian PC-9 solo actually was a Croatian solo using one of the Wings of Storm aircraft. All the other items flew.

Especially impressed by the Slovak MiG, Austrian Typhoon pair, Frenh Alpha and the Frecce of course. A little dissapointed by the Dutch Falcon and Patrouille Suisse - both flew high and distant compared the previous shows in Zeltweg.

Fingers crossed for good weather tomorrow.

stuart n

Post by stuart n »

From what I saw on the live stram the C27 was the best display of the day :drool:

sebcoe

Post by sebcoe »

Good to hear the paras are ok. Agree re the c27... Unbelievable !

sebcoe

Post by sebcoe »

Philip - noted a few people off base, north side..any idea what these locations are like.. Or is the end of the runway the best bet?

sebcoe

Post by sebcoe »

Just back from another superb day, weather gods smiled again. Went outside today, end of the runway, great spot with some different angles. So many highlights but stand out items for me would be the Mig29, role demo, Typhoon pair, c27, me262... Superb two days...and it's free!

Preben

Post by Preben »

just to say... was the MiG-15 a bit too low today after a looping during the display?? :D

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

Hey Steve, sorry I just read your question right now. The people you saw (western end?) were most likely guys with spotter package. The spots on the hills in the back are risky because they are quite far off but you can get lucky there as well. I was at the runway end also today and walked around in the fields later opposide to the crowd to get the sun in my back. Found a great spot to remember for next time, missed most of the MiG display because of my stupid timing but some nice angles on the Frecce were possible. I'll post some shots when I come home.

hope you guys had a great time in Austria!

Philip
Last edited by p2philip on Sat 02 Jul 2011, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

Preben wrote:just to say... was the MiG-15 a bit too low today after a looping during the display?? :D

unless that was an optical illusion it was really really low. My heart definitely skipped a beat in that second, I was actually surprised he continued the display....

RichPittman

Post by RichPittman »

So did the Polaish Mig fly?
Always remember "If you cannot turn tight...you cannot fight!"

Preben

Post by Preben »

no no, just Polish MiG-15 was flying. Fulcrum was in static display.
Optical illusion? I don't think so... ;) I made a couple of pictures from the hill... clearly low!! :sweat:

sebcoe

Post by sebcoe »

No problem Philip, thought the runway end was a great spot, lot more relaxed than inside as well!
Agree with the comment on the Mig15, looked really out of shape from where we were, I thought he'd lost it and was going in.
Rich - only one Polish 29 in the static and never looked like it would fly, not listed on the details the airforce guys gave us Sat morning either so not sure where the confusion on this came from...

Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

Hi guys!

Just woke up after last night's arrival home. The show was just great on both days.
I'm glad the paratrooper guys are OK. Quite a few mishaps and unexpected events (Turkish Stars screwing up one of the manuevers, PS interruption by stork, etc.) I don't think anyone mentioned the Me-262's very steep and deep dive on Friday. It looked a bit scary from where I was standing. Was that a planned thing, or did something go wrong?

I'm sorry the Tunnan and the KC-135 did not show up (some of us guessed the latter stayed away due to a lack of space on the static display). We were also really looking forward to arrival of the Noratlas on Thursday, and after it failed to show up, It was a very pleasant surprise to see it land on Friday. :smile:

Unfortunately, neither HuAF Hind appearance, nor Gripen demo - as expected. The guys did the best they could with the go-around on Thursday. On Friday, me and my friends had a couple of words with Maj. Fekete, the Gripen's pilot. He did not seem to be very optimistic about an airshow in Kecskemét next year...

Despite the scary accident on Friday, the capability demo was just awesome on Saturday. My favourite part of the show. The number of choppers alone was impressive. My second place goes maybe to the Austrian Typhoon pair, third place to Swiss Hornet demo, and the Red Bull formation was also impressive. But I could go on praising many-many participants...

p2philip wrote:Especially impressed by the Slovak MiG, Austrian Typhoon pair, Frenh Alpha and the Frecce of course. A little dissapointed by the Dutch Falcon and Patrouille Suisse - both flew high and distant compared the previous shows in Zeltweg.

Agreed. All of us thought that the Belgian Viper was a lot better than the Dutch. We were reallly impressed by the French Alpha's training on Thursday, than the Friday performance was not as good, but it kicked ass on Saturday. Since both pilots trained on Thursday, I though maybe one of them flew on Friday, and the other on Saturday.

Even though I knew that the showground is usually really crowded on Saturday, I was a bit surprised to see so many people. We were lucky to escape all traffic jams, but I heard some locals chat about 25 km long jams on surrounding roads.
The organisation was pretty good - however, I think the organisers need to re-think locations of the video walls and loudspeekers (or maybe reduce size of the latter). At some places, the music was too much and/or too loud. Also, more mobile toilets would be good. Don't get me wrong, these are just some minor comments, on overall, they did a good job.

Thanks for all the useful advice I got here. It really helped a lot in planning the trip and having a great time.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

p2philip wrote:
Preben wrote:just to say... was the MiG-15 a bit too low today after a looping during the display?? :D

unless that was an optical illusion it was really really low. My heart definitely skipped a beat in that second, I was actually surprised he continued the display....

Not only low but he clearly aborted the manoeuvre. And then spent about 2 minutes re-positioning (checking that all systems were working properly, perhaps...?) I was astonished that he was ALLOWED to continue the display! :ghost:

Anyway a brilliant, brilliant weekend. Highlights were the Slovakian MiG-29, the Austrian Typhoon demo (utterly brilliant for a debutant; let's get you on the display circuit properly next year, feller), the C-27J, the ME-262, and the Swiss Hornet on Friday (he wasn't quite as good on Saturday for some reason). The only real drawback was the frankly insane crowd on Saturday; I arrived on the airfield at 7.50am and the crowdline was already six-deep... no exaggeration!

Anyway thanks again Zeltweg, a brilliant airshow all round. In the words of Austria's most famous son, "I'll be back".
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Vixen1

Post by Vixen1 »

One of the best shows I've ever attended. Glad we stayed out at the end of the runway on Saturday and avoided being crawled over by everyone trying to get in front of me at the front as happened on Friday. Too many highlights to mention but the mass helicoptor enterance as part of the Airpower demo was something only to be seen and experienced and defies an adequate description. Thanks to Sebcoe (Steve Coe) for the company and Kevin Martin for the banter when we met at the airport on the way home (we must stop meeting like this). Fantastic show. :yahoo:

Bartek

Post by Bartek »

Yes it was...:/