Meiringen 1-9-08

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
Vixen1

Meiringen 1-9-08

Post by Vixen1 »

Following my trip to Axalp in 2007, I was really taken with the possibilities for walking and sightseeing so I booked a week in Meiringen with the wife. My DSLRs are banned from the family holiday so I had to make do with my compact. Unfortunately the weather on the day (the only day of the 7 days) was less than perfect. I tried some different angles to those of last year. Here are the results:-

An unuasual load on this F5.

A four ship emerging from the caverns, taken from the North side at the Eastern end, you are so close it's either ear defenders, or one ear on one shoulder, a finger in the other and holding the camera one-handed.

This is the first time I've noticed the plume of vapour at full military power whilst holding on the brakes.

Burner kicks in about 50m down the runway.

The recoveries at the North side, Western end and just off the slip road from the main road:-

There were two 4-ship launches of F18s each in the morning and afternoon and a few single F18s and some F5s. Acivity seems less on Monday morning and Fridiay afternoon. There is no flying between 11.50am and 1.30pm.

In the summer I believe there are organised base visits on Wednesday afternoons, I saw some info in the Tourist Info office, one for my next holiday there. I don't believe thay are available during Axalp week.

I also had time for a couple of hours at Payerne but it looked like they were going through a period of airfield maintenance and nothing moved there at all.

Hope you find this info useful.

Stu

Re: Meiringen 1-9-08

Post by Stu »

Nice selection :clap:
Olympus Cameras

UBC780XLT
DJ-X10
DJ-X3

Representing www.simplyplanes.co.uk

sebcoe

Post by sebcoe »

You've got some nice shots there Tony, particularly considering the conditions and the equipment you had.
Looks like you had a good time.
You out this weekend - DX/OW?

sailing dutchman

Post by sailing dutchman »

The F5F you caught is the ECM fitted 1 from Emmen AFB,the basevisits on wednesday are only taking you to the instructional airframes of an F5 and a Allouette 3 and the flightsimulator.
The rest of the base you won't see.
Nice set of pics even with worse conditions.
If it has wings it must fly.

Vixen1

Post by Vixen1 »

The F5F you caught is the ECM fitted 1 from Emmen AFB,the basevisits on wednesday are only taking you to the instructional airframes of an F5 and a Allouette 3 and the flightsimulator.

Thanks for the info Sailing Dutchman. Probably won't bother with the tour next time.

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery »

These were taken with a compact?! :clap: :clap:

FATBOYJARV

Post by FATBOYJARV »

Cracking shots from a compact camera :yahoo: :yahoo:

Vixen1

Post by Vixen1 »

Yes, it was a compact - Olympus SP510UZ. A couple of things to note though, the keeper ratio is very low, there's delay between pressing the button and the shutter firing so your panning has to be good, images are only 72dpi and the delay between shots is too long too. My Fuji S5000 took better pictures but had gone belly up. I wish I'd taken my Nikon SLRs, next time maybe. Glad you like them.

Crossbow

Post by Crossbow »

Hello Tony

Lovely Images in a nice clean country!
Wonderful!
Thank you

Hans
HJ Breuer