Welsh Eagles 28-10-11

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
StephenEThomas

Welsh Eagles 28-10-11

Post by StephenEThomas »

What a superb day,

Went out to Wales yesterday grabbing a lift from a mate, with the hope of catching some low level action. The weather was predicted to be spot on so we had high hopes that some interesting traffic would get out after the grim weather we'd been having.

Some early Hawks caught me out completely and those I did get were too small in the frame to do much with, but the MC130 was a treat to see grumbling through the valley. No great shots but it was worth recording.

Then the madness started, Eagles coming out to play and making a show of it. A superb hour where we couldn't believe our luck.

A couple of late T2s were fluffed as I rushed to put on the 2x converter. They filled the frame but were too soft to be usable....I need a few thousand for a new lens ;-)

USAF MC-130 70-023 by StephenEThomas, on Flickr

USAF F15e 97-218 by StephenEThomas, on Flickr

USAF F15e 91-315 by StephenEThomas, on Flickr

USAF F15e 91-332 by StephenEThomas, on Flickr

USAF F15e 97-221 by StephenEThomas, on Flickr

USAF F15e 03-003 by StephenEThomas, on Flickr

USAF F15e 01-2004 by StephenEThomas, on Flickr

USAF F15e 03-003 by StephenEThomas, on Flickr

Cheers

Steve

elderforest

Re: Welsh Eagles 28-10-11

Post by elderforest »

Topside on the 48FW marked Eagle is a cracker. Nice and sharp :cool:
Ian.
(elderforest).

IanOlder

Post by IanOlder »

elderforest wrote:Topside on the 48FW marked Eagle is a cracker. Nice and sharp

Yep, that one stands out for me too, looks like you had a good day :clap:

Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Post by Ben H »

I saw some of those Eagles from my room at uni in Aberystwyth - they blasted down the seafront nice and low.

Lovely photos! :biggrin:

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

You jammy bugger, why can't this happen when I'm there? I just seem to attract tincans :sad: Seriously though, great set, a T2 would have completed it though :wink: The back seater in shot 7 looks like he's nice and relaxed, enjoying the ride.

Trevster
UKAR Supporter

Post by Trevster »

I really must get down there...

Great set
Canon Rebel T1
Canon EFS 18-55mm lens
Canon 75-300mm lens

JackyRIATWilson

Post by JackyRIATWilson »

Wes_Howes wrote:You jammy bugger, why can't this happen when I'm there? I just seem to attract tincans :sad: Seriously though, great set, a T2 would have completed it though :wink: The back seater in shot 7 looks like he's nice and relaxed, enjoying the ride.

That is EXACTLY my theory on the F-15's, why is it I never catch some in the loop, only in Barmouth when I don't have my camera out? :wall:

Cracking shots sir, you jammy git! :clap:

StephenEThomas

Post by StephenEThomas »

Thanks for the comments guys, a day to remember. I've been up quite a few times now and have had my share of bad weather and blanks, days like this (also 2nd June 2010) remind me why I subject myself to it.

I've put a few in the queue at the 'Website of broken dreams' (Anet), let's see how I do ;-)

Steve

cloudbase16

Post by cloudbase16 »

Hi Stephen
I was at the loop that day with my son and wife and it was a fantastic hour or so. Your pictures are fantastic but where about were you ? We stood about halfway up cad west, we could see a few people on the opposite side to us and there was a stars and stripes flying there as well I have put a couple of clips on youtube from my phone but i have'nt got a great camera and took no photos. There are a few other people with shots from the day and i have attached a link to the site for one of them so hope you have a look as i think there pretty good too. Once again thanks for sharing your fantastic shots as a permanent reminder of an amazing time on the 28/10/2011. Dave :smile:

http://www.airfighters.com/photosearch.php?phgid=716

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Wes_Howes wrote:You jammy bugger, why can't this happen when I'm there? I just seem to attract tincans :sad: Seriously though, great set, a T2 would have completed it though :wink: The back seater in shot 7 looks like he's nice and relaxed, enjoying the ride.

Exactly Wes, I'm the same. I travel from Anglesey to the loop, I seem to be a magnet too either Tincans (Tucano's) or Hawks, with the occasional Tornado or Harrier (when they were in service!)

I think I'm going to have to sacrifice something to the gods at this rate to get the Mud Hens too fly past me on a ledge in the loop!

StephenEThomas

Post by StephenEThomas »

cloudbase16 wrote:Hi Stephen
I was at the loop that day with my son and wife and it was a fantastic hour or so. Your pictures are fantastic but where about were you ?

These were taken from the Bwlch 'Exit' where the aircraft make (or not) the left turn down towards Cad after coming through Bwlch.

Neil's shots that you have linked to were taken further back along the valley from the Bwlch ledges

Steve