East Midlands Aeropark

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
Ben Montgomery

East Midlands Aeropark

Post by Ben Montgomery »

Hi All,

I've noticed that East Midlands Aeropark doesn't get the most coverage of the UK Museums (we are one of the smaller ones admittedly!), so I thought I'd post some of mine from the time I've been working there.

My "pet project" at the moment is our Buccaneer, XV350 (ex-Boscombe machine) - we are slowly bringing her back to life, and making her look smart again!

Wings in action:

This weekend coming up we are opening up a few of the aircraft, including our Canberra in celebration of the anniversary of the first Canberra flight. Chances are we'll be operating the Buccaneer as well :smile:

Always looking for more volunteers to come and help - there are just a core few of us working most weekends. And we'll need all the help we can when the Nimrod turns up :ninja:

And finally, one I quite like of our newest residents, the Swallows:

Regards,

Ben

PR9 Mk2

Re: East Midlands Aeropark

Post by PR9 Mk2 »

A fantastic collection of airframes and excellent views of the operational stuff via the viewing mounds and benches.
For the £2 entrance fee its a bargain and thoroughly recommended. :cool:

aeropark

Post by aeropark »

Need more members :wall: sould have looked after the band of hard working members you did have Sorry but the way things are run at the Aeropark it's like :wall: :wall: :wall: Apart from that it's a great museum with some Fantastic Aircraft :smile:

CH2

Post by CH2 »

Ben

Good to see, is there still a ridiculous ruling still in place that prevents these aircraft from being run up?
Cheers,

Chris

aeropark

Post by aeropark »

This weekend coming up we are opening up a few of the aircraft, including our Canberra in celebration of the anniversary of the first Canberra flight. Chances are we'll be operating the Buccaneer as well. How did the Canberra celebration go any photo's from the day :icecream:

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery »

After a lengthy absence, here's a few more from today's beautiful weather.

CH2 - I must admit I forgot to check back after posting the last set so I didn't see your question! The answer is yes, we are not allowed to run any of them at the moment.

Info on the Nimrod R.1 here! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38524

And the beautiful weather today!

Ben

andyxh558

Post by andyxh558 »

I recommend the museum, and i was there in 1992 albeit the other side when 575 was powered up, just brilliant!. A couple of questions for you though, 1 where is the end of the probe on 575? an where no earth will you put the Nimrod?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

It's a great place, last time I was there was 4am for the first time the An-225 visited :grin:

Got interviewed by local radio standing on top of one of the benches :grin:

Andy

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery »

Today was rather special for all of us who volunteer at the Aeropark, as we were finally able to get our Nimrod onto the grounds!

Huge thanks to the DHL Handling Team for their dedicated work getting onto position on the concrete pads - took quite some time as the angle she had to be moved to was rather awkward!

We've had to wait this long to get her over due to a number of issues - all of which have been resolved now!

She will be available for viewing (external only until further notice - we need to make the interior safe as it's rather dark!) from Sunday 27th November!

thainoodle

Post by thainoodle »

:up: Good stuff!

Always enjoy visiting the Aeropark when staying with friends in Nottingham, it's the only museum I ever visit really and its nearly 200 miles from me!

andyxh558

Post by andyxh558 »

Well thats answered my last question, great work guys!!! :clap: :clap: Are the electrics still usable?

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery »

andyxh558 wrote:Well thats answered my last question, great work guys!!! :clap: :clap: Are the electrics still usable?

Late reply again - sorry!

Yeah, we think we should be able to fully power the electrics. There is a cable running under the base to provide mains power to run computers inside - not sure if that'll do the aircraft systems though!

For anyone planning on coming tomorrow, there is a great weather forecast! :smile:

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery »

The weather was not quite as good as predicted today, but can't complain with sunshine in November :smile: :smile:

Here are a few more gratuitous Nimrod shots :biggrin: