Thoughts on the show.

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
aviodromefriend

Re: Thoughts on the show.

Post by aviodromefriend »

pb643 wrote:I can't believe that the Tutor and Hawk pilots are that naive and delicate that they would not give way to visiting displays. The two are not the same and should not be treated the same. I cant imagine anyone questioning British displays being given priority treatment at foriegn shows.
At least the Reds are that "naive". They didn't hand over their slot to, let's say, the Saudies on Saturday.

pb643 wrote:I cant see the Spanish bothering next year at all, considering how they were treated this year.
What I haven't read at this thread yet (and I don't know if it was just nonsense-talk at the radio-station or truth) is that on Sunday they said the conditions were good enough to fly flat shows at the time it should have started. They were only holding to wait for further improvements to allow for full displays. They could (or should) have known Aguilla would cancel without much waiting, as that was what happened on Saturday. Then I don't get why they didn't allow them to start and fly a flat show. IMO a flat show is better than no show.

pb643 wrote:The take home point from the interview... The £££ is king.
It has always been at (R)IAT. Even at the good shows in the 90s when Paul Bowen was still around. The difference is that in those years the show had a line-up that made it more worthwhile for the enthusiast to pay their money.
TYPHOON3 wrote:One question from me is how did Tim Prince know who was an aviation enthuisiast and who wasn't?
I guess they know from the survey what percentage is an enthusiast. Then take that percentage from your total attendance, et voila.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Not everybody would have taken part in this survey so I still don't see exactly how he knew who was an aviation enthusiast and who wasn't.I think he is trying to justify that having A Burke on during the flying display or there full stop was the right decision.

bigwokka

Post by bigwokka »

Tims figures still confuse me too. The notion that only 14000 people are solid aviation enthusiasts so he has to cater for everyone else is one that needs turning on its head.

By Tim Prince's logic 124,000 people had gone to RIAT because there was a pop "star" and a fete for £40, with aeroplanes thrown in.

I dont buy that!

And just to add, even by the best figures, Over 130,000 people went to a pop concert and didnt watch it. Whereas probably 100,000 people stopped and looked at a static Sukhoi!

Duxfordian

Post by Duxfordian »

The interview with Mr Prince is interesting, if uncomfotable reading. I think he might regret saying some of the things he has done there. A shame the reporter didnt press him on some of the ludicrous figures he was throwing out there. The article does raise more ?s than it answers, and shows Prince in a bad light - I'm sure he is now under pressure to deliver for 2012.

Does this airshow want to be an AIR SHOW or does it want to be a day out for the family with occasional flying?

IanOlder

Post by IanOlder »

RIAT don't get everything right but Tim Prince gives an in depth interview and his words get twisted...who'd be an airshow organiser

bigwokka wrote:By Tim Prince's logic 124,000 people had gone to RIAT because there was a pop "star" and a fete for £40, with aeroplanes thrown in.

I dont buy that!

I don't buy that either because its nonsense. What's so difficult to comprehend about RIAT providing some "other" attractions for a family audience....they've conceded Miss Burke was an experiment (not one I'd personally want repeated) but at least the thinking behind it has been explained.

duxfordian wrote:A shame the reporter didnt press him on some of the ludicrous figures he was throwing out there. The article does raise more ?s than it answers, and shows Prince in a bad light - I'm sure he is now under pressure to deliver for 2012.

Another set of questions, still waiting for a previous poster's questions, so while we wait what are yours?
Last edited by IanOlder on Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skylinerworld

Post by Skylinerworld »

Sorry if this is really off topic, but I've always wondered why the Swiss Air Force pretty much never have static displays at RIAT, while all other participating countries generally have static displays present. I'm sure a couple of Swiss F-5's would be rather nice :wink:

Matt.
Search 'AirportsAroundTheWorld' on FB
Search 'airports_around_the_world' on Insta
http://blog.skylinerworld.co.uk/

IanOlder

Post by IanOlder »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
IanOlder wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:Raises more questions than it answers.

Such as?

As stated in our RIAT report, we'll be looking at the issues raised from RIAT 2011 in an article to come in the future. You'll find out when it's published. :smile:

Are we any closer to seeing this article with the unanswered questions, its been near on 4 months?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

It's with the people at RIAT. When they get back to me, we'll put it on the site. Last spoke to them a fortnight a go and it was still in progress - there's a lot to cover.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"