Apache Crash Landing

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
RobHowarth

Apache Crash Landing

Post by RobHowarth »

A few pictures of the AAC Wattisham based Apache helicopter that crash landed in a field after hitting a power line near Ipswich, Suffolk.

[url=http://howarthfamily.smugmug.com/Other/Forum-Pics/10029499_V6K6pQ#!i=1721395546&k=vRd4Bbq&lb=1&s=A]Image[/url

Cheers Rob

urkles

Re: Apache Crash Landing

Post by urkles »

Well done Rob, we are lucky to have a photographer of your standing and talent on here, thanks for posting this, very informative :rock:

RickIngham

Post by RickIngham »

Thanks for the pictures, had heard about the forced landing but not seen any images...though I think the thread title 'crash landing' is a bit of an exageration?

mr pabs

Post by mr pabs »

Some interesting images mate, was tempted to go myself this morning but couldn't really make it.

Main thing is the crew are fine!

Rich

Epic Formacion

Post by Epic Formacion »

Looks like they dragged the gear, it all looks good from the gun up.

Stu

Post by Stu »

Thanks for posting them up Rob been on the news quite a bit, looks like the stubble field was a bit soft to
Olympus Cameras

UBC780XLT
DJ-X10
DJ-X3

Representing www.simplyplanes.co.uk

Mike

Post by Mike »

Wow, good job they managed to miss all that coloured tape, fence posts and the white van when they came down!

Arno 01

Post by Arno 01 »

Nice set, glad it isnt as bad as it first sounded !

Might be an idea to fuzz the faces of the active AAC guys in the phtotos?

agdickie
UKAR Staff

Post by agdickie »

Arno 01 wrote:Might be an idea to fuzz the faces of the active AAC guys in the phtotos?

Think they may actually be military Air Accident guys.
Agdickie on Airliners.net
Hey jet pilots! Do a barrell roll!

TonyO

Post by TonyO »

Doesn't appear too damaged, but if the avionics were damaged the aircraft could well be a write-off.

Which Apache was it?
Do you want the Aladeen news or the Aladeen news?

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

Arno 01 wrote:Nice set, glad it isnt as bad as it first sounded !

What about the two guys on the pylon too?
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

Arno 01

Post by Arno 01 »

Maisie wrote:

Don't think the chance of them being active in the STAN are the same???? If a member of your family who was in the UK forces, and regularly deploy south, then maybe you would not be so keen to have their photos on the web? Just feed back I was given when I passed this page accross to mate who is about to head south again.

urkles

Post by urkles »

Things have changed since my day then, the lads would fight about getting there pics out there! And judging by guys I know still in, the fact we have all the programmes coming out of Afghanistan - Ross Kemp and the like, and all the magazines (Navy News, media stuff, etc....) I would imagine its only the special forces guys who may want faces hidden. Cetainly no one I know, and it goes into 3 figures ranging from pilots to army troops, have ever worried about having there pic taken. And as these shots were taken by someone with a huge responsibility in making sure desretion is kept and a top photographer doing his job as a professional in the field I am sure he knows what he is doing.

Not having a go, just saying how it is. :smile:

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

Arno 01 wrote:
Maisie wrote:

Don't think the chance of them being active in the STAN are the same???? If a member of your family who was in the UK forces, and regularly deploy south, then maybe you would not be so keen to have their photos on the web? Just feed back I was given when I passed this page accross to mate who is about to head south again.

I done 8 years in the RAF, and not heard anything like it. It's not like it's a covert operation, a military helicopter hit a pylon and it's in the news.
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

RickIngham

Post by RickIngham »

TonyO wrote:Which Apache was it?

ZJ202!

RoverDriver

Post by RoverDriver »

m
Last edited by RoverDriver on Sun 08 Jul 2012, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baz

Post by baz »

No need to fuzz the faces out of these photographs. Very well taken by the way. I know some of you think it might be important for our security however there is a lot more deadly things out there than a guy with a camera. Why do I have such knowledge you may ask. Well I am the guy that was 2 I/ c of the aircraft recovery from this site. Directly below and answerable to the aircraft recovery officer. Please don't ask me any questions about the state of this aircraft. The military investigators have their job to do and as ever I have my orders. And mod policy to stand by. To be quite clear I won't tell you anything. at least it was good to clear a site that the aircraft was not spread in little bits over a large area. That's my usual task at incidents similar to these. By the way I noticed a reference to the soft ground. What a nightmare. Even after the army engineers rolled it flat it swallowed the apache like quicksand. A true joint effort though by all three services. An army helicopter recovered by the RAF and myself in the navy.
Weird. Not really jarts is the lead aircraft crash and salvage experts in the country. Made up of RAF and navy air engineers we can recover and transport much trickier things than this. Oh well hopefully I can get back to RAF Brampton now and continue to dismantle there phantom before I am deployed again.

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

I'm convinced that spelling and grammar are no longer requirements in the forces if the above is to be believed.... :question:

And that's speaking as an ex-RAF man :whistle:
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

baz

Post by baz »

What's the point of writing these posts , if comments like that are necessary.
Believe what you want, but I know I was there. As a serving member of her majestys royal navy I know my punctuation and grammer requirements. Pity my phone and predictor text don't.

Thought you would like to hear from somebody actually involved with the incident seeing as you all are talking about mis truths and conjecture in the previous posts. :mad:

Obviously I was wrong.

urkles

Post by urkles »

baz wrote:What's the point of writing these posts , if comments like that are necessary.
Believe what you want, but I know I was there. As a serving member of her majestys royal navy I know my punctuation and grammer requirements. Pity my phone and predictor text don't.

Thought you would like to hear from somebody actually involved with the incident seeing as you all are talking about mis truths and conjecture in the previous posts. :mad:

Obviously I was wrong.

Dont worry Baz, I am ex Fleet Air Arm and will support you against a Crab any day! :grin:

Seriously though, its good to hear from someone involved in the incident, and no, you were not wrong, its always better hearing the horse's mouth, as it were. keep posting dude!

RoverDriver

Post by RoverDriver »

m
Last edited by RoverDriver on Sun 08 Jul 2012, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

agdickie wrote:
Arno 01 wrote:Might be an idea to fuzz the faces of the active AAC guys in the phtotos?

Think they may actually be military Air Accident guys.

REME judging from the TRF.