USAF GB - 1/72 F-89J Scorpion

A forum for UKAR Group Builds
ArabJazzie

USAF GB - 1/72 F-89J Scorpion

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hi all,
Seen as i am supposed to be hosting this GB, i thought it time to start this one off. For once i can say its not all my fault this time as the Royal Mail took 2 weeks to deliver my Modelzone haul.

So here i bring you an aircraft i have always wanted to replicate, Academys 1/72nd Northrop F-89J Scorpion to be built OOB with the markings of the 124th FIS, Iowa ANG.

One thing i noticed! Its a lot bigger than i thought!!!
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

Fumbles

Re: USAF GB - 1/72 F-89J Scorpion

Post by Fumbles »

ohh nice choice. This should be a good one built up.

ELVIS 01

Post by ELVIS 01 »

Look forward to seeing this one finished, If anyone is after one of these I have one for sale from my stash clearout for £10, I have it listed along with some other kits in the For Sale Section.
:smile:
Last edited by ELVIS 01 on Mon 16 Jan 2012, 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

ELVIS 01 wrote:Look forward to seeing this one finished, If anyone is after one of these I have one for sale from my stash clearout for £12, I have it listed along with some other kits in the For Sale Section.
:smile:

Ouch! :hide: Not sure thats in the spirit of the forum and I got mine in a sale 3 weeks ago for a fiver! Might have to rethink your pricing there! :whistle: :whistle:
Arabest,
Geoff.

ELVIS 01

Post by ELVIS 01 »

Sales are always good for those demon deals, I am just clearing out my stash as due to changes of circumstances, I will not be able to get round to building these.

I just thought someone might be lookng for a F-89 after the comments on the post :smile:

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hi all,
Finally managed a start on this one and buttoned up the fuselage and built the wings.

Cant really say anything about this as its went together quite well so far.
Arabest,
Geoff.

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Well at least you've started mate. :up:

Alan

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Deacon wrote:Well at least you've started mate. :up:

Alan

Yeh! Started and didnt do too much else after that! BUT!

This flew together and a couple of seams required a wee bit of filler, a priming and a top coat of grey and here we are!

Realised as well there is only 18 days to the end of this GB so dont know if i have to be in a panic or not yet! :sweat: :hide:
Arabest,
Geoff.

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

Coming along nicely Geoff, looks like big kit for 1/72

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

scotthldr wrote:Coming along nicely Geoff, looks like big kit for 1/72

Cheers Scott,
In all the photos ive seen of this, i expected this one to be about the size of a Sabre. When i first saw the box, i was a bit disappointed as i dont really have the space too many of the bigger fighters. Thankfully it spans 1/2" smaller that a Tomcat!!! :shock: However it is as chunky as i am! :grin: :lol:

With every build i hope that i am showing i am listening and learning from what you guys are telling me. With this one i managed to drop 10psi off my spraying pressure while working with thinner paint. Some areas were flatted a bit with micromesh and a very nice sanding sponge i have. On the down side though, i went back to hand painting the main canopy part as ive damaged a couple recently while trimming the masking especially when there are no moulded frames to follow.

Anyway, this is how she stands today with a couple of touch ups, some decals to add and a top klear coat to come and hope i can finish by tomorrow.
Arabest,
Geoff.