Bodø Air Show 2012

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
falconpie

Re: Bodø Air Show 2012

Post by falconpie »

Oooo good excuse to visit Norway! But Bodo's on the other side of Norway! If I do manage to go to this, I'm thinking about spending a few nights in Bergen/Oslo (flying from England) and then train up there (god help me...someone said it takes over 24hours!). Might mean I'll have to stop in Trondheim? Has anyone seen cheap flights from Oslo/Bergen-Bodo...or are you all thinking of taking the train?

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Yes, taking the train from Oslo\Bergen to Bodø will take you the better part of a day. It does look like the programme is going to be pretty much the same for Bodø and Sola. Alternatively if you dont feel like going all the way to Bodø, the annual Flydag at Kjeller, just outside Oslo, looks like its going to be pretty sweet this year. Its home to most of the older planes in Norway, like Tiger Moths, SAAB Safirs, Bücker Jungmanns and several other nice looking birds. The RNoAF F-16 solo display will be there, as will the Duxford based Catalina, F-86 and mr Jurgis Kairys. The full programme has'nt been revealed yet, but according to the organizers we should have something interessting in store. Oh yeah, an its free. Have a look at my review from 2010 for more info.

john001

Post by john001 »

Another option is Ryanair to Rygge then DAT to Trondheim and drive - it still a fair way though! On the other hand a nice holiday is a drive from Rygge all the way, the route up past Lillehammer to Trondheim is wonderful. DAT release cheap tickets every so often.

triple_ace

Post by triple_ace »

Thanks for the replies fellas. If there are nice looking birds there I hope to make it.

falconpie

Post by falconpie »

Agg wrote:Alternatively if you dont feel like going all the way to Bodø, the annual Flydag at Kjeller, just outside Oslo, looks like its going to be pretty sweet this year. Its home to most of the older planes in Norway, like Tiger Moths, SAAB Safirs, Bücker Jungmanns and several other nice looking birds.

Thanks for the share there. Eh, I didn't know that Norway had Tiger Moths. Interesting, I shall do a little bit more investigation into them (actually I don't know much about Norways Airforce..). Might opt for that air show then although it would be a great to experience 24 hours of light...hear the sun sets around 11pm around Oslo which isn't exactly 24 hours is it! I think driving from Trondheim to Bodo would take yonks!! It's bloody far and doubt there are any major autobhan like highways up there.

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

We used the Tiger Moth as a basic trainer until the outbreak of the second world war, when most were destroyed. There are currently three Tiger Moths flying in Norway.

But yes, you are right, once you get a bit north of Oslo, the roads are'nt that great anymore.

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Not 100% confirmed yet, but it looks like the Red Bull DC-6 and P-38 will be heading north this summer, looking to do both the Sola- and the Bodø Airshow.

eirik
UKAR Supporter

Post by eirik »

Agg wrote:Not 100% confirmed yet, but it looks like the Red Bull DC-6 and P-38 will be heading north this summer, looking to do both the Sola- and the Bodø Airshow.

Ah that would be nice additions for both Bodø and Sola.
I will not be able to make it to Bodø, but I will be at Sola.

Looking forward to it!
Part of the Norwegian Spitfire Foundation.
http://www.norwegianspitfire.com

My photos:
http://aviationpix.no

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

"Craaaazy flight!"

Frecce Tricolori confirmed!

falconpie

Post by falconpie »

Agg wrote:We used the Tiger Moth as a basic trainer until the outbreak of the second world war, when most were destroyed. There are currently three Tiger Moths flying in Norway.

But yes, you are right, once you get a bit north of Oslo, the roads are'nt that great anymore.

Ah right! Wow, only 3! If I'm not mistaken I think (my history's pretty bad) they were used as a basic trainer for a couple of defense forces (Australia, NZ, England?). Really interesting to know that they were used in Norway. Crafty little planes they are :)

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Austrian Sk-105 added to the flying programme :)

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Rumor has it that a certain retired Swedish fast jet, that just returned to the sky, will be finding its way to Bodø this summer - stay tuned ;)

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Rumor has it that something really nice will be revealed soon - stay tuned ;)

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

Damn fine news if confirmed

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

It's confirmed, Viggen's coming to Bodø :)

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

Superb stuff, now i've got to hope for a Lansen and the F-104 to be fully active. Fingers crossed

Eskimos

Post by Eskimos »

Agg wrote:We used the Tiger Moth as a basic trainer until the outbreak of the second world war, when most were destroyed. There are currently three Tiger Moths flying in Norway.

You should be a politician :yahoo:

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Hahaha, maybe you're onto something ;)

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

Any updates on the progress of the Starfighter?

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

If anyone's going and still have'nt found a place to stay take a look at this Facebook-group.

As for the Starfighter; it still has'nt left the ground, and with one and a half month to go before the air show its looking pretty grim...

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

Well if we just get a ground burner run from the 104 then that will still be an awesome thing to see

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

A small update on the Starfighter, it wont be flying. There's still some work to be done, and the authorizations needed to get her in the air are not in place, and wont be in time for the show. And the Martin Baker seats are in the UK while modifications are being made in the cockpit. If this is finished before the show it will do a taxi run, otherwise it will just be static.

On another note, the RNoAF F-16 display bird is currently in the paintshop ;)

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

Do you have any idea which side the public will be going? will we be terminal side or the more woody, military side? Just asking as i'm wondering if it's an easy walk from our hotel.

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Unless you have registered as a spotter you will be situated on the civilian side of the base (the side with the terminal) :)

flybynight

Post by flybynight »

Screechy wrote:Do you have any idea which side the public will be going? will we be terminal side or the more woody, military side? Just asking as i'm wondering if it's an easy walk from our hotel.

I believe Public are Terminal side. Apparently there will be free buses from the city centre and the Air museum to the airport.

USAF KC-135 added. Arrives Friday for static, leaving Monday.

Weekend tickets can now be bought on-line.