British Airways Olympic Livery (Updated)

Photos of commercial airliners
RRconway

British Airways Olympic Livery (Updated)

Post by RRconway »

Afternoon all,

So, here are a few of my pictures I took this morning before and during the unveiling of G-EUOH.

The design was created by artist Pascal Anson, who rather than just design 'flat' decals or images to be put along the side of the fuselage, thought up the Dove design which wraps around the fuselage. One of the influences for the Dove idea was the release of doves during the previous London Olympics in 1948 to signify peace.

The entire job took over 850 hours and several hundred individual stencils to create the effect.
The gold paint was developed by the BA Engineering team and its suppliers, and the team of painters had to develop new processes to enable them to spray the fuselage and wings in one go, something which is not normally done.

Here are some of the air to air photos taken after the unveiling of G-EUOH this morning.

Images copyright of Geoff Lee BA.

Cheers,
Jeff.
Last edited by RRconway on Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

Kenny

Re: British Airways Olympic Livery

Post by Kenny »

I know it's got it's critics, but I love it! Fantastic photos and about time we saw a special painted airline from the UK. Well done team. Looking forward to the others

Were you on this Jeff?

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Kenny wrote:I know it's got it's critics, but I love it! Fantastic photos and about time we saw a special painted airline from the UK. Well done team. Looking forward to the others

I agree that it's about time that we had a special paint scheme, but we've waited all this time and we've got this. I regret to say a very poor effort IMHO.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Epic Formacion

Post by Epic Formacion »

I think this design was based on cost and not design. Bulk order of gold paint at a really good price guv'nor. Don't see a London 2012 logo on it, so it will largely fly about europe advertising gold paint to the masses. Nice day in Kent by the looks?

bigfatron

Post by bigfatron »

Quite like the design but not overly sold on the execution colour-wise.

TonyO

Post by TonyO »

Why did Geoff take the second photo? :question:
Do you want the Aladeen news or the Aladeen news?

Kenny

Post by Kenny »

I'm guessing to see the design on the wings

Hawkkeeper

Post by Hawkkeeper »

would be better with the London 2012 & olympics 5 rings on the fin & all the particapating country flags along the fuselage above the window line & in nice bright colours, that although nice is far to plain.

JackyRIATWilson

Post by JackyRIATWilson »

I don't really know what to make of it. It's got purpose, but at the same time appears cost driven, plain and boring. Take a look at Air Malta's attempt on an A320, 9H-AEO (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=41450) - that's a scheme, or maybe even one of the Japanese Pokemon schemes. This just looks bland to me. :question:

McG

Post by McG »

Tail would have looked better just being left in the standard BA scheme.
Rest looks ok.

ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

McG wrote:Tail would have looked better just being left in the standard BA scheme.
Rest looks ok.

Have to say I am undecided on it. There will be 8(?) other A319s with the tail in the normal colours.
Cheers

Chris

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

Kenny wrote:I know it's got it's critics, but I love it! Fantastic photos and about time we saw a special painted airline from the UK. Well done team. Looking forward to the others

Were you on this Jeff?

I like it too Kenny, and no unfortunately I didn't go on it!!!!

Cheers,
Jeff.
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

Kenny

Re: British Airways Olympic Livery (Updated)

Post by Kenny »

Saw it today on stand (heavily cropped) A LOT of people don't like it
Untitled by Kenster79, on Flickr

vespasia

Post by vespasia »

Nice set of pics, and I'm with Kenny and Jeff, I like it - very clever idea.

Steve :biggrin:

TJJ

Post by TJJ »

Were the A2As taken from a Jet Provost on Tuesday? Andy Hill brought a JP5 in from East Midlands to North Weald, and did a sortie "with an airliner" in the south east. I was working in the tower at the time and had him on frequency, with a very specific take off time.
Nikon D750, Nikon D300s, Nikon D90

ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

TJJ wrote:Were the A2As taken from a Jet Provost on Tuesday? Andy Hill brought a JP5 in from East Midlands to North Weald, and did a sortie "with an airliner" in the south east. I was working in the tower at the time and had him on frequency, with a very specific take off time.
Yep, it was Andy.
Cheers

Chris

vierdryinn

Post by vierdryinn »

In my opinion a disappointing paint scheme - nobody would hardly know it was connected with the Olympic Games, You would at least expect to see the Olympic " rings " and as for the actual colours - too drab, they should be Red White and Blue - the Olympics are being held in Britain and we should be capitalising on that - what has happened to being proud of our country? The designer has missed a " Golden " ( sorry! ) Opportunity here.
Fantastic pictures though RRconway - well done and Thanks :clap:

Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Post by Ben H »

It doesn't scream 'Olympics', but as a piece of livery design, I rather like it. It's classy, which is more than can be said for the standard CHD design...

Moss.ie

Post by Moss.ie »

is there any way to find out which aircraft they plan to change to the "dove from above" paintscheme?

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

Moss.ie wrote:is there any way to find out which aircraft they plan to change to the "dove from above" paintscheme?

Do you mean types or regs?
For what reason?

Cheers,
Jeff.

Moss.ie

Post by Moss.ie »

RRconway wrote:
Moss.ie wrote:is there any way to find out which aircraft they plan to change to the "dove from above" paintscheme?

For what reason?

Cheers,
Jeff.

Hi Jeff,
nothing sinister, EINN is my local, and both G-EUNA & G-EUNB (Speedbird 1 & 2) use US emigration pre-clearence facilities there 6 days a week on the LCY - JFK route, it would be nice to catch one, save me a trip to the UK lol,

regards

Moss

Binky Airways
Location: 2 Hours on the London Underground from London Heathrow

Post by Binky Airways »

To give it a different perspective, this is said aircraft flying into LHR on the 6 April 2012

(G-EUOH) Airbus A319-131 (British Airways) Dove Scheme

ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Moss.ie wrote:
RRconway wrote:

For what reason?

Cheers,
Jeff.

Hi Jeff,
nothing sinister, EINN is my local, and both G-EUNA & G-EUNB (Speedbird 1 & 2) use US emigration pre-clearence facilities there 6 days a week on the LCY - JFK route, it would be nice to catch one, save me a trip to the UK lol.

No plans to repaint the A318's anytime soon, I believe the dove scheme will only be on A319's.
Cheers

Chris

nigelblake

Post by nigelblake »

I'm not sure if I like it or not, but I'd be happy to photograph it!

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

Moss.ie wrote:
RRconway wrote:

For what reason?

Cheers,
Jeff.

Hi Jeff,
nothing sinister, EINN is my local, and both G-EUNA & G-EUNB (Speedbird 1 & 2) use US emigration pre-clearence facilities there 6 days a week on the LCY - JFK route, it would be nice to catch one, save me a trip to the UK lol,

regards

Moss

Moss,
As Chris said, 99.99% sure it will only be A319s.

I've PMd you.

Cheers,
Jeff.