Cosford Airshow 2012 |OT|

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
PeterR

Re: Cosford Airshow 2012 |OT|

Post by PeterR »

Sea King is an excellent addition, but shame about the lack of other JHC airframes. The '212 is a hell of a nice addition though. :clap:

D200

Post by D200 »

Still to early to confirm some things. When the Press Release states otherwise, I will let you know. I can say that the event this year should have something for everybody with a wide range of displays and whilst that sounds like 'spin', it is indeed fact. To make a statement regarding a participant that does not happen on the day would be unfair to all. Let's just hope for some sunshine.

JHC 'should' make an appearance on the static line, but they are operationally stretched and therefore unable to confirm until much closer to the day. Ten military displays already is a good starter for ten, and that is before you start counting the civilian displays, all of which are very immpresive.

Sabre86

Post by Sabre86 »

Never been to Cosford but thinking of going along this year - I go to RIAT and Duxford regularly and used to go to Mildenhall and Biggin Hill. Where does Cosford rank alongside the Duxford shows? I know they have the museum which is an added bonus. Cheers.

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

Hi Sabre86
Cosford is a good all round day out (as long as the weather holds out ) The static is generally a couple of helos plus some of the Jags pushed out of the tech training hangers (although one year the french managed to get a cn295 in) As for the flying display its generally RAF and civvie with only a handfull of foreign military thrown in. Flying display is about 5 hours long and starts around midday so plenty time to get in and sort yourself out. Flight line is fairly short and cars are parked pretty much right up to the rope giving little room for manouver. Traffic can be a nightmare as only 1 route in/out. Museum is open but gets packed if the weather turns nasty. Plenty of the usual stalls for anyone interested and lots of ground displays by most of the RAF sections (really interesting and bit more accessable than those at RIAT )
All things considered it is a really good day out if a little pricey compared to likes of waddy and mildenhall, definately reccommend :up: :up: :up:
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

D200

Post by D200 »

Cosford is quite different to RIAT or Duxford in that the real estate does not permit an extensive line-up of static aircraft. The displaying jets operate from Shawbury and fly in to display followed by en-route transit or return to Shawbury. There is always a static line-up that consists of helicopters and smaller aircraft capable of operating from the relatively short runway; notwithstanding that a C17 landed there recently. If you have not recently visited the RAF (& Cold War) Museum, then you are on a win-win for that is a days visit in itself and a good bolt hole should the weather be inclement. I have seen the display schedule and whilst premature to fully provide specific details; it is, in my opinion good value for money for all concerned with a wide variety of participants that will promote both nostalgia and exitement for all age groups. The presence of the parallel grass runway often gives photo enthusiasts the opportunity to photograph warbirds departing a grass strip, and a few years ago, I got some awesome pics of a P51 Mustang doing just that. The distance of spectator to display line is laid down by international convention and therefore all venues are mandated to abide by the same rules; Cosford is no different; but a -200mm zoom lens is more than adequate for fantastic photography. Unusually, the crowdline is north side looking south; most are the opposite, meaning that lighting conditions at Cosford can either be challenging or a fantastic opportunity for something different depending upon your outlook and experience. http://www.cosfordairshow.co.uk is updated frequently.

Website now showing Confirmed for 2012, The Blades, Aerostars, Gnat pair, Vintage Pair (Meteor T7 and Vampire), BBMF, Red Arrows, Falcons, Sea King, King Air, Tutor, Tornado, Typhoon, Tucano......... (No particular order & more to come)

Sabre86

Post by Sabre86 »

Cheers for the replies. Looks like I will venture to Cosford this year!

Bronco

Post by Bronco »

Further additions;

SWIP Team
Glider FX & Pawnee Tug
RV8Tors

st24

Post by st24 »

Bronco wrote:Further additions;

SWIP Team
Glider FX & Pawnee Tug
RV8Tors

yeh! Take that Waddington! :tongue2:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

D200

Post by D200 »

More to come :rock:

If any 'regulars' have got constructive comments on how they think the show could be improved, please put it here, I guarantee that those with fingers on pulse in the organisation dept will listen and give due consideration. We cannot increase a budget limitation or do a sun dance but logistics are flexible. The theme of the show is the anniversary of the Central Flying School.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

STATIC PARKING / BARRIERS.

Go to another show, for example RIAT. Take note of how the cones/rope is positioned further away from the aircraft so is photographer friendly. And please bring some of the Jaguar's outside and park nicely.

RS2

Post by RS2 »

I think we all acknowledge Cosford is limited by its size and therefore the number and nature of visitors is somewhat limited but Im sure a few opportunities could be provided for the 'photographer enthusiaists' that are present amongst the crowds.
Use say 300 to 400m of the taxiway from the 06 numbers back towards the tower and park some classics or helicopters off this with 'their' back towards the trees.(ie park on the left of the taxiway as they head from the runway back towards the tower) This would make a great back drop for photos with the light in the correct position for quite a large part of the day. (I appreciate this part of the taxi way is used to cross vehicles in the morning, buts its only generally for a few hours and no doubt the taxiway has to be checked for fod, so a few extra metres of taxiway for checking Im sure would be ok. Temp red fencing could separte the aircraft from the taxiway, then once the cars are in, the fencing could be reloacted to the other side of the taxiway and the crash vehicles would prove worthy blockades on the taxiway itself) This wooulkd only be practical for aircraft that arrived on the Friday or Saturday.
Park small static visitors on the grass infront of the hangars to the West of the tower, at least this way the backgrounds are more natural (hangars) than fairground, motorbikes or stalls.
The far West end of the hangars spread a few of the SOTT airframes along the perimeter line with a fence a few metres in front of them, (where the Varsity and Andover were parked a few years ago), again the chance for some nice pics rather than the tight pack of unphotographable SOTT airframes.
Try and convince the museum to keep the EAP out of the Museum Hanagrs until the show. I know its impracticle to move many of the museum aiframes but at least the EAP is a reasonable size. Get EAP placed with a nice photographic backdrop (trees) and adverytise the fact, that would provide a very rare opportunity.

westhamfan84

Post by westhamfan84 »

Shame the black cats display will be done with just a solo routine. I always find it very lacking when done in this manor but i guess its better than no display at all.
Planned Shows for 2022 - Midlands air festival, Cosford, Weston, Southport, Riat, Blackpool, Bournemouth

D200

Post by D200 »

Static parking features high on the radar at the moment and the aspiration is to achieve better impact than recent years when they were almost tucked out of sight. There are some decisions yet to be made concerning exact locations and your comments will be included in the decision making process. The RAFM Red Arrows Gnat is scheduled to see fresh air and ideally be presented in an operational pose with the canopy open weather permitting. This is being done as part of the CFS theme as RAFAT are a CFS organisation. We have requested a few real gems but await decisions from third parties as to whether there will be some eye pleasing surprises. One thing for sure, the organisers are busting a gut to get the quality show we all would like to see .
Thanks to the guys who have voiced opinions, we will take them very seriously.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

I think if you got some of the 8 AEF / UBAS Tutors out, if you could park the Chipmunk - Bulldog - Tutor in a line to show how training has progressed it would be great.
And agree with other posters about barriers/backgrounds. Especially for the operational helicopters - hangar or greenery for a background is great, not a fairground like we had for Neil's newly repainted JP last year.

st24

Post by st24 »

RS2 wrote:I think we all acknowledge Cosford is limited by its size and therefore the number and nature of visitors is somewhat limited but Im sure a few opportunities could be provided for the 'photographer enthusiaists' that are present amongst the crowds.
Use say 300 to 400m of the taxiway from the 06 numbers back towards the tower and park some classics or helicopters off this with 'their' back towards the trees.(ie park on the left of the taxiway as they head from the runway back towards the tower) This would make a great back drop for photos with the light in the correct position for quite a large part of the day. (I appreciate this part of the taxi way is used to cross vehicles in the morning, buts its only generally for a few hours and no doubt the taxiway has to be checked for fod, so a few extra metres of taxiway for checking Im sure would be ok. Temp red fencing could separte the aircraft from the taxiway, then once the cars are in, the fencing could be reloacted to the other side of the taxiway and the crash vehicles would prove worthy blockades on the taxiway itself) This wooulkd only be practical for aircraft that arrived on the Friday or Saturday.
Park small static visitors on the grass infront of the hangars to the West of the tower, at least this way the backgrounds are more natural (hangars) than fairground, motorbikes or stalls.
The far West end of the hangars spread a few of the SOTT airframes along the perimeter line with a fence a few metres in front of them, (where the Varsity and Andover were parked a few years ago), again the chance for some nice pics rather than the tight pack of unphotographable SOTT airframes.
Try and convince the museum to keep the EAP out of the Museum Hanagrs until the show. I know its impracticle to move many of the museum aiframes but at least the EAP is a reasonable size. Get EAP placed with a nice photographic backdrop (trees) and adverytise the fact, that would provide a very rare opportunity.

Thats a very good post. I know Cosford is limited size wise but there's a lot of potential and that taxiway is a lost opportunity. Years ago I can remember SoTT Argosies, Canberras, Sea Vixen, Gnat, RN Wasp, USAF OV-10..etc etc all on there and they looked great. The "live" camo Jags and other airframes are a wonderful resource wasted as are some of the museum pieces. Get them out - put the effort in, draw in volunteers if necessary, I'm sure the cadets could help. And if it's true you're getting an Army Bell212, PLEASE don't waste that gem!!!

D200

Post by D200 »

There will be three Jaguars on the static line. A T bird; a GW1 coloured single seater and the 'Jaguar' Jaguar, or at least that is the plan. Other aircraft will probably be visible to the determined but not formally part of the day. Comments above noted and being acted upon where possible.

st24

Post by st24 »

D200 wrote:There will be three Jaguars on the static line. A T bird; a GW1 coloured single seater and the 'Jaguar' Jaguar, or at least that is the plan. Other aircraft will probably be visible to the determined but not formally part of the day. Comments above noted and being acted upon where possible.

Please please please try your damndnest to keep at least the Jaguar scheme bird clear of all the rubbish it's usually surrounded by, actually no, almost inserted in!! :up: Somewhere on the pan where the JPs may be a start, or even better, using the aforementioned taxiway....

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Or just go and ask 238 Squadron if they'll taxy one of them up and down the runway before the flying display, I'm sure they'd love to!

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

-
Last edited by Flare Path on Sat 05 May 2012, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D200

Post by D200 »

The static real-estate remains a point of question but I do not propose for it to be tucked away by the funfair. Likely locations are the UBAS ramp void of any immediate traders ie surrounded by grass or the Jaguar flight-line shared with a display arena. Rotary visitors will probably be on the section of taxiway used in recent years but not so crowded. The aspiration is to have a line up of basic training aircraft through the ages and Chipmunk, Firefly, Bulldog, Tutor and Gnat have been confirmed. I am desperately trying to aquire a Tiger Moth in Trg Comd colours to head the group but that is proving elusive due to several reasons not least of which is aircraft serviceability. Whatever the outcome this year the static display will feature highly on future planning as it could be done better if obstacles such as traffic routing can be overcome. There are rumours and counter-rumours in abundance but I can say that the organisation is a dynamic process which remains in full swing and the program of air and ground displays is no 'done-deal' as the embers of projects grow on a daily basis. The Apache flying display is a coupe as there will not be many of them around the airshow circuit this year.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Flightline is listing two Apaches and has them down as a role demo?

westhamfan84

Post by westhamfan84 »

looks like a cracking show this year :smile: but how many more additions are we likely to get or is the line up pretty much now complete now?.
Planned Shows for 2022 - Midlands air festival, Cosford, Weston, Southport, Riat, Blackpool, Bournemouth

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Still plenty of time for more additions, personally hoping for a certain V bomber :)

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

The Apaches(?), 212, SAR role demo and BAC 109 will be pretty awesome to see, top work :clap: :clap: .

One question I have (for anybody who knows the answer), I was wondering whether there were any restrictions on the use of flares at Cosford? I mean I know there are hardly ever aircraft attending that use them in the display, but hypothetically, if the Dutch F-16 came again, and used Shawbury as its base, would it be allowed to use its flares?

Also, anyone know what the Falcons will be using as their drop ship? Skyvan? or something more RAF-esque?

D200

Post by D200 »

RAF Falcons are using a Cessna Caravan.

The Tornado display is using pyrotechnics this year which combined with jet noise is sure to provide 'impact'.

Flares are not as likely in UK events as they are on the continent due to UK regulations. Never say never, but it does have associated safety problems.