Strathallan Collection 1981 (Updated 5-5-12)

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
Davef68

Re: Strathallan Collection 1981 (Updated 5-5-12)

Post by Davef68 »

Maisie wrote:Some lovely bits there, thanks! shame about the Comet, Whats the bumps for under the fuselage?

The Comet was an ex-51 Squadron Signals Intelligence aircraft, inside it has racks for equipment instead of seats. The bumps were the radomes for the antennae. You could walk through it at the museum (Anyone got any photos of the inside?).

I remember my delight at visiting the Museum as a teenager - in those days, even after the auction, the thought of it closing and the airframes being scrapped/dispersed was unthinkable.

Must see if I can find my pics - the Lancaster had been painted in Bomber Command colours by the time I visited.

Dave

comet4

Post by comet4 »

alanp wrote:Coming full circle, my brother is currently being checked out on the ex-Strathallan Moth G-ANFV/DF155 at Shempston. I'm looking forward to getting up with him over the summer.

alanp might be interested in this picture of DF155 at Auchterader that I've just come across.
Graham

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Wonderful thread. I have very vague memories of being at a Strathallan Airshow in 1982 (well, I would only have been four at the time!) A real shame that the collection has dispersed.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

bolshi

Post by bolshi »

I have a copy of the Christies auction catalogue for the sale of the Strathallan collection if anyone is interested I can scan the pages which contain not only the aircraft but their collection of spare parts too.

Bolshi

alanp

Post by alanp »

That's a great scan, it looks almost digital. Check here for shots of the Tiger last weekend : viewtopic.php?f=32&t=42678

gordy

Post by gordy »

sadly that tiger moth DF 155/ G-ANFV is the one that crashed this weekend at shempston airfield :sad:

warferry

Post by warferry »

Here are a few from my visit 1978, indeed far to go in those days from the south coast of England hope you guys enjoy these few additions.Image
Sycamore WA576 Strathallen '78 by warferry, on FlickrImage
Shackleton Strathallen '78 by warferry, on FlickrImage
Mossie RS712 Strathallen '78 by warferry, on FlickrImage
Miles M18 Strathallen '80 by warferry, on FlickrImage
Messenger G-AJOC Strathallen '78 by warferry, on FlickrImage
Dragon Rapide 4R-AAI Strathallen '78 by warferry, on FlickrImage
Creat0003 by warferry, on FlickrImage
Creat0001 by warferry, on FlickrImage
Comet Strathallen '78 by warferry, on Flickr

alanp

Post by alanp »

gordy wrote:sadly that tiger moth DF 155/ G-ANFV is the one that crashed this weekend at shempston airfield :sad:

Yes, a real shame, thankfully no major injuries to the chaps but the Moth's going to take a long time to get better: http://www.northern-scot.co.uk/News/Two ... 082012.htm

foxfour

Post by foxfour »

alanp wrote:
gordy wrote:sadly that tiger moth DF 155/ G-ANFV is the one that crashed this weekend at shempston airfield :sad:

Yes, a real shame, thankfully no major injuries to the chaps but the Moth's going to take a long time to get better: http://www.northern-scot.co.uk/News/Two ... 082012.htm

I've heard it's an insurance write-off although that doesn't preclude someone with the necessary skills and cash re-building it.
Sunday was a bad day for Tiger Moths - another crash in Wales - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-19240988

helicopterdcr

Post by helicopterdcr »

I'm happy to say that my ex-Strathallan Hornet Moth is still airworthy and based near Norwich. This great photo was taken by Jason Cork at Cromer on one of the few sunny days earlier in the Summer. I am always on the lookout for early pictures of my machine, to add to the history files I'm building. I have just one picture of her in a dismantled state at Strathallan (and a copy of the sale catalogue). Can anyone help out with other pictures?
Thanks,
Dave

warferry

Post by warferry »

Hi Dave, Hope this shot of use taken at Stapleford Tawney 1956. Cheers Terry[imImage
Hornet Moth G-ADMT Stapleford Tawney by warferry, on Flickrg][/img]

helicopterdcr

Post by helicopterdcr »

Terry,
Thanks for that photo. I have another one taken at the same field, so it's good to get confirmation that she was based there for a bit.
Is that a Humber in the hangar entrance?
Cheers, Dave

warferry

Post by warferry »

While sorting black & white old shots see Hornet Moth above I found these two of the Desford one taken at Eastleigh in great condition.
The other at Coalville in a old miners wash room not so smart. As a piece of British heritage should be restored I suggest.Image
Desford Eastliegh by warferry, on Flickr Image
Desford Coalville by warferry, on Flickr

Rampvan

Re: Strathallan Collection 1981

Post by Rampvan »

Davef68 wrote:The Shack and Comet were scrapped in 1990

The Comet nose also survives, it was displayed at gatwick for a while, but is now in the Middle East at Sharjah in the Al Mahatah Museum. Interesting story regarding when it arrived - part of the u/c failed on the grass runway, but as it was on RAF charge, the MOD apparently had to repair it. The story was that the sale clause for the Shackleton passed ownership to the Collection when it was on finals to the airfield!

From AI November 1975:
XK655 Made a spectacular, almost disastrous arr at the museum on 21st Aug. After four approaches the pilot made his landing run at at the small airfield. Unfortunatly he touched downheavily and short of the runway breaking the main starboard main undercarriage unit. The aircraft then skidded along for 2000ft causing considerable damage to its wing. it was reported that the £4000 paid for the aircraft included delivery in good order !!

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

I grew up quite near Strathallan. I'm just too young to have ever seen the collection, though I understand my eldest brother enjoyed going there as a child. By coincidence my partner's father went to an airshow there in the '80s and remembers seeing both a Mosquito and a Shackleton, possibly performing with several feathered engines, whilst there.

I'm slightly amazed that such a collection was assembled in such a relatively secluded area, and I am frustrated that I never got the chance to see it. I know the area relatively well having driven on the back roads in that area, and it is always surprising to stumble across the airfield in what is otherwise a fairly featureless and, at times, heavily wooded area. I assume that the location was one of the reasons for the demise of the collection?

The loss of the MR1 Shackleton seems especially wasteful, though I imagine the rarity value wasn't that considerable in the '80s with Shacks still inthe air. I've heard that during snowy winters the Comet would become somewhat imbalanced and the nose wheel would raise up off the ground. Is there any truth to this?

County1884

Post by County1884 »

What a fantastic thread, Thanks to everybody for the pics and links to the videos and info, would have loved to have been able to visit :smile:

County1884

Post by County1884 »

ps puts me in mind of a slightly unruly Old Warden :lol:

Lumix

Post by Lumix »

There are some more historical photos from Strathallan here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul-thal ... 2755112287

Enjoy!

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Remember it very well. Especially the airshows, and one sneaky, unannounced Jaguar pass that filled a space in the display as quickly as some did their shorts on its arrival! Have cine film of one show and must get it digitized one day.

silver fox

Post by silver fox »

Never realised the collection was so big, all the aircraft look (superficially at least) well prepared and cared for, not surprising that so many have returned to flight, thanks for the posting and the follow up info. :clap:

afc100

Post by afc100 »

Great post,lots of memories of going there in the late 70's,unfortunately I forgot my camera , but it was an amazing museum(I remember seeing 3 avro Ansons sitting at the bottom of the field)however I do have in the loft somewhere,the Museum Guide book.I also managed a visit in the 80's but by that time the museum had been downsized quite a bit.

dazzagreenwood

Post by dazzagreenwood »

The Shack VP293 is now at Coventry (well the nose anyway).

And was at one time crewed by my Grandfather. I have the log book evidence to prove it.
The Avro Lancaster. The greatest Bomber of WW2!!!!

King Cobra

Re: Strathallan Collection 1981

Post by King Cobra »

captchaos wrote:Re FT391, the ownership company has a Surrey address but she has been at Goodwood for a long time. A nice connection is that when taxying to take off from Popham, we got a call from Dick the airfield manger to say he used to look after our aircraft when he was GM at Strathallan and the history of the dent on the starboard wing!
Before we owned her she was with OFMC and used as a camera ship in "Piece of Cake". You and see the fin and aerial in many dog fight scenes.

Would that be Dick Richardson?

captchaos

Post by captchaos »

It would indeed.

SCARECROW 451

Post by SCARECROW 451 »

Great pics I visited in 1979 while on ATC camp at RAF Turnhouse, but lost my pictures !
Very nice memories thank you.