41 Sqn Tornado ZA600

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
Wes_Howes

Re: 41 Sqn Tornado ZA600

Post by Wes_Howes »

Coming on nicely Mark, that silver is quite odd as it seems to change shade in different light on the real a/c

HawkT1

Post by HawkT1 »

thanks yes it does change in light

anyway

well iv spent the day masking and adding Ad Astra's Masks, i have to say i was really worried about this, and the first few proved trouble some especiall the cross on the tail as they go over the raised bits, but i got there in the end

i really want to do more but dont want to rush it and mess it up

HawkT1

Post by HawkT1 »

Craig

Post by Craig »

Very nice indeed, the paint looks cracking, and to say you've never used stencils before it doesn't show! Looks a little sparce for the stencils on the upper wings though? Are you not adding the walkways and no step marks?

Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

Nice to see this one finished Mark,

Just a couple of constructive points though. I am saying this as it will transform the model just that one level up...

1). Preshade - Looks good on some models , but maybe a black undercoat is a little too harsh on the MSG. Next time, try to post shade, by adding a few black or white drops to the base colour - this will give a more natural look. To be honest, if you look at reference photos of the real one, the aircraft is a more solid colour than worn, if that makes sense?

2). The canopy on a real Tornado would never stay in that position - Probably best to set it to full - It will also show off the job you have done in the cockpit. See the photo below

3). Rims are usually light grey on a Tornado. Gunze H311 is great for this!

4). I know you had issues with the Paragon Flaps set and you did well to recover it; some of them are not set straight - can they be popped off and reset? I did notice one of the wing tanks and u/c doors seemed to be on the slant too - can these be reset?

5). On looking on your site some of the decals do not appear to be on straight - a little patience and time taken would have made this look good

6). Still not sure on the tail colour - anyway!

7). Nav lights on the intakes - these are clear on the real jet with green and red filaments, not a solid colour; the wing lights are solid, however!

Please do not take these as criticism, we only learn from experience and believe me through my years of modelling I have had loads of clangers; it is the only way we essentially learn. Well done on completing the kit though, mixed media and vinyl masks are a huge learning curve for anyone.

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Mark,

A beautiful build mate and great to see you posting on here again. :yahoo: :clap: :clap:

Alan

HawkT1

Post by HawkT1 »

thanks guys

i take onbour what you say james, actually ive already changed the wheels

Deacon wrote:Mark,

A beautiful build mate and great to see you posting on here again. :yahoo: :clap: :clap:

Alan

i try to post on hewre but ive had a few bad experiences so i shy away a bit

Tug 747
UKAR Moderators

Post by Tug 747 »

What a great build and you must have the patience of a saint to carry on as if the incident with the flaps did not happen. :clap: :clap:

Doug

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Mark,
Good to see this brought to a finish here. Hope you find time to post your next build here as well!
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

dodger

Post by dodger »

markmarples wrote:

That looks awesome :clap:

HawkT1

Post by HawkT1 »

thanks Chaps

stickshaker

Post by stickshaker »

Nice work but there still looks to be something up with those flaps. There's a close-up in the link below.

http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Tornado/1285.html

The flaps should definitely curve downwards, but the flap 'vanes' (the thinner little flap in the middle) should have their leading edge below the wing top surface and their trailing edges above the flap. They work like this (aerodynamically):

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

That picture and the diagram show a different 'attitude' to the flap vanes than either James or Mark have shown.

It will be interesting to find out why that is :dunno: as they both take care over their creations? :worship:

If I ever do one, I'll do it 'in flight'! :grin:

Alan

Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

Alan,

The answer lies with the actual moulding of the Paragon slats themselves. The kit essentially tells you to position of the vanes on top of the actuating arms. Perhaps these need to be mounted between the actuating arms instead?

Either way the diagram presented is really useful and I have bookmarked the page for future reference, so thank you for that!

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

That's what I suspected, but couldn't believe Paragon could have got it so wrong.

Hang on, that means I believe James and Mark COULD have got it so wrong? :sweat: :hide: Larger spade must dig hole faster! :facepalm: :grin:

Alan

HawkT1

Post by HawkT1 »

easy way

unless A tornado is in maitainance service aka unarmed and worked on FLAPS will be up!! it was a trial for the flaps and well the instructions are vauge and well the plans arnt perfect by a long way, ill never use them again althoug i have 2 more sets, or shall i try again :hide:

Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

Mark,

Not technically correct, (I think) the slats and flaps are extended out once the jet lands and parked to enable the ground crew to check them for any obstructions etc before preflight.

Most of the shots I have of working jets have them set to 25 degrees:

Granted there are times when they jets have been parked up with the slats and flaps in, but it is not always...

I would not give up on the Paragon Set so easy. We all learn from oour mistakes and resin is not an easy medium to work with. I remember the first set I did, I cut the wing slat too much and ended up having to pack it with plasticard and round it off with filler. I also placed the vanes on top of the flap at the rear, so you are not alone (see below!). It just takes more time and patience - if you want advice for the next set you do, just ask.

The kit below was the second model i built after coming back into the hobby just over 3 years ago - I think I have drastically improved since then and there are a lot of points I do not like about this model now but it shows that we all improve and get better in time and pratice. In short have another crack at them!

markmarples wrote:easy way

unless A tornado is in maitainance service aka unarmed and worked on FLAPS will be up!! it was a trial for the flaps and well the instructions are vauge and well the plans arnt perfect by a long way, ill never use them again althoug i have 2 more sets, or shall i try again :hide:

mattlaker

Post by mattlaker »

Superb! A cracking job of a great aircraft!

You don't still have the instructions for the Paragon flaps and slats as I seem to have lost mine in transit? :roll:
Matt hates Photo Etch as of today