Portsmouth Air Festival 2012

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
seahawk67

Portsmouth Air Festival 2012

Post by seahawk67 »

this has been taken from their web site some updated info:-

The flying will take place on Saturday 18th August only, starting at 10am and finishing at 5pm.

GROUND

A Festival Centre will be created on Southsea Common. This will consist of various villages as follows:

Business and Careers Marquee(s):

Marquees incorporating exhibition-style space, to enable companies to display their products either to other businesses, or to consumers and to offer apprentice or employment opportunities.

Food Village:

An area of the Common specifically designated for food stalls, selling freshly prepared cuisine, as well as outlets selling local produce.

Craft Village:

Large marquee(s), as well as individual stalls designated for the sale of local arts and crafts.

Family Village:

In this area, we will provide space for safe play and family fun, such as flight simulators, games and rides.

Retail and Merchandising Village:

An area designated for the sale of general retail items and merchandising.

In addition, the armed services will have a dedicated area afforded to them for displays, recruitment and charity fundraising.

There will also be an arena in the centre of the Common in which there will various activities over the course of both days. These will include, but not be limited to:

Massed bands; Cycle and motorcycle displays; Parachute landings; Gun carriage races etc. A full itinerary will be made available in due course.

Ground displays will commence at 10am on Saturday and Sunday, closing at 6pm on both days.

Concessions are welcome to stay for both days.

SEA

The organisers intend to take advantage of the unique positioning of the site by investigating the availability of siting additional display assets on the Solent. The details of these displays are yet to be confirmed.

SERVICES INVOLVEMENT

Due to the fact that the Portsmouth Air Festival has the aim of raising a significant sum of money for the four charities it has chosen to support, the organisers have placed a great importance on the inclusion of the services within not just the Event itself, but also the planning. Members of each service sit regularly on the organising committee.

The services will have a designated area within the Festival Centre during the Air Festival and will also be represented at the opening ceremony.

It is hoped that many of the air assets will be supplied by the three services, with priority being given to their displays.

The flying will take place on Saturday 18th August only, starting at 10am and finishing at 5pm.

GROUND

A Festival Centre will be created on Southsea Common. This will consist of various villages as follows:

Marquees incorporating exhibition-style space, to enable companies to display their products either to other businesses, or to consumers and to offer apprentice or employment opportunities.

Food Village:

An area of the Common specifically designated for food stalls, selling freshly prepared cuisine, as well as outlets selling local produce.

Craft Village:

Large marquee(s), as well as individual stalls designated for the sale of local arts and crafts.

Family Village:

In this area, we will provide space for safe play and family fun, such as flight simulators, games and rides.

In addition, the armed services will have a dedicated area afforded to them for displays, recruitment and charity fundraising.

There will also be an arena in the centre of the Common in which there will various activities over the course of both days. These will include, but not be limited to:

Massed bands; Cycle and motorcycle displays; Parachute landings; Gun carriage races etc. A full itinerary will be made available in due course.

Ground displays will commence at 10am on Saturday and Sunday, closing at 6pm on both days.

SEA

The organisers intend to take advantage of the unique positioning of the site by investigating the availability of siting additional display assets on the Solent. The details of these displays are yet to be confirmed.

SERVICES INVOLVEMENT

Due to the fact that the Portsmouth Air Festival has the aim of raising a significant sum of money for the four charities it has chosen to support, the organisers have placed a great importance on the inclusion of the services within not just the Event itself, but also the planning. Members of each service sit regularly on the organising committee.

The services will have a designated area within the Festival Centre during the Air Festival and will also be represented at the opening ceremony.

It is hoped that many of the air assets will be supplied by the three services, with priority being given to their displays.

GROUND

Food Village:

Craft Village:

Family Village:

SEA

SERVICES INVOLVEMENT

http://www.portsmouthairfestival.co.uk/

Kieran

Re: Portsmouth Air Festival 2012

Post by Kieran »

Patrouille De France are going.

DanH

Post by DanH »

Kieran wrote:Patrouille De France are going.

Wow, that's quite a coup for their first ever show :clap:
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Kieran wrote:Patrouille De France are going.

and I thought it was strating to look like a non event, where does that information come from?
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

someguy1

Post by someguy1 »

tankbuster wrote:where does that information come from?

http://www.airshows.be/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10907

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

someguy1 wrote:

As much as I'd like it to be true, because I am going to the Air Festival, I would like to know where he gets the info from, because all I can find on the Patrouille de France website is their 2011 schedule????

Ok I can't speak or read much French but....if someone else can find it in the website please post a link.

Cheers,
Jeff.
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

Muppet

Post by Muppet »

Taken from the Pompey Air Festival Facebook/Twitter pages:

Re: Patrouille de France - this has yet to be confirmed. We are working towards bringing them to the Air Festival, but we are yet to have confirmation from the French Air Force. Don't want to pre-empt their decision, but we will advise as soon as we know anything definite.

me2u

Post by me2u »

Found this on their web site

Two months to go, no list of aircrafts flying, and due to their terms and conditions, no one will be allowed any refund, and no obligation to fly any aircraft.
As suggested on another blog, that they don't have any major backers, and all the money seem to come from the general public and small donations, I looked up the CEO and directors on, http://company-director-check.co.uk and it's up to you to make up your own mind, what likely to happen?

Terms and Conditions
2. All flying is subject to serviceability, availability, operational requirements and weather, therefore it may become necessary to vary the programme due to any of these occurrences. Your statutory rights are not affected.

3. The Organiser reserves the right to cancel or postpone the Air Festival should this be necessary in the interest of public safety or due to any event outside its control. If the Air Festival is cancelled or curtailed due to circumstances beyond the Organiser's control, such as force majeure (for example, but not limited to, act of God, outbreak of hostilities, riot, civil disturbance, act or threatened act of terrorism, fire, explosion, flood, fog or bad weather, power failure, failure of telecommunications lines, theft or malicious damage), the Organiser will not be obliged to offer any refunds. Your statutory rights are not affected.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

No list on the website - what's this then?

http://www.portsmouthairfestival.co.uk/ ... y-aircraft

As for the rest of your post, I cannot see what you are getting at - seems like fairly standard terms and conditions....

theskunk

Post by theskunk »

RRconway wrote:
someguy1 wrote:

As much as I'd like it to be true, because I am going to the Air Festival, I would like to know where he gets the info from, because all I can find on the Patrouille de France website is their 2011 schedule????

Ok I can't speak or read much French but....if someone else can find it in the website please post a link.

Cheers,
Jeff.

On the Patrouille De France Calendar for 2012 - 17th & 18th August

http://www.patrouilledefrance.net/index.php/actualites/calendrier

Cheers

Gary
Canon EOS 6D
Canon EF 24-105mm f4 L IS
Canon EF 100-400mm L IS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theskunk/

wv383

Post by wv383 »

Those Ts & Cs are applicable at every airshow that you attend. Sometimes on the back of the ticket or in the programme and more often than not on the website as well.
Simon

me2u

Post by me2u »

To donate is everywhere on their web site, would have thought a list of aircraft would be on the main web page, and not two sub menus down.
And with just 2 months to go, shouldn't they be shouting more loudly, about all the aircraft they have booked and fully paid for, instead of we hope, we aim to, we plan to etc.

plus they make sure you see their T&C about planes not turning up.
'Please note: Not all of the aircraft listed below may display at the Portsmouth Air Festival due to operational, maintenance or weather issues beyond the event organisers control.'

I just seen, so many music festivals, get planned and not happen, so just something to keep a close eye on.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

me2u wrote:plus they make sure you see their T&C about planes not turning up.
'Please note: Not all of the aircraft listed below may display at the Portsmouth Air Festival due to operational, maintenance or weather issues beyond the event organisers control.'

I just seen, so many music festivals, get planned and not happen, so just something to keep a close eye on.

As does every other airshow. There's nothing any organiser can do about the weather or the operational commitments of military aircraft. Look at the back of any airshow ticket and it says something very similar.

And the show is being as a not-for-profit event supporting Royal Navy, RAF and Army charities is the donation thing really that suspicious? Lowestoft and Eastbourne already collection donations towards supporting charity and the up-keep of the event. They seem quite open about it on their website:-

As a not-for-profit organisation, the event organisers - Portsmouth Air Festival Limited - will donate the majority of the profits to the charities, the remainder going towards the 2013 Air Festival, the event designed to be an annual occasion.

How about we just wait and see what happens rather than flaming something new and potentially positive for the airshow circuit. Afterall, a donation is not a demand for money - it's your choice!
Last edited by clearstone on Sun 10 Jun 2012, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

wv383 wrote:Those Ts & Cs are applicable at every airshow that you attend. Sometimes on the back of the ticket or in the programme and more often than not on the website as well.

Quite so. And if anyone, particularly members of this forum, attends an airshow, without being aware of this, they must be living with their head in the sand. Apart from the necessity of stating the T&Cs, they are, in any case, plain bl***y obvious!
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

DanH

Post by DanH »

And of course, if you'd rather not risk it, why not give it a miss?

me2u

Post by me2u »

Well, lets say I not going to cancel any plans, and will donate money directly to the forces.

Of course it up to every individual, to decide what to do with their money and time, but I am just passing on my experience, of these things and nothing I have heard or seen to date, has given me a positive view of this event.
To change this we need the organizers, to give more definitive answers, and not just we hope, we aim, with just 2 months to go.
I hope this will be forthcoming.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

me2u wrote:Well, lets say I not going to cancel any plans, and will donate money directly to the forces.

Of course it up to every individual, to decide what to do with their money and time, but I am just passing on my experience, of these things and nothing I have heard or seen to date, has given me a positive view of this event.
To change this we need the organizers, to give more definitive answers, and not just we hope, we aim, with just 2 months to go.
I hope this will be forthcoming.

Definitive answers to what? They published a list of displays, the location, other attractions, how toget there etc and they even gone as far as to put a statement on how any profits will be spent. What more do you need?

DanH

Post by DanH »

I still don't quite get what you're saying. The organisers aren't being aloof with us, they are simply alerting people to the fact that although an aircraft may be booked to attend the show, there are certain factors beyond their control such as the weather, aircraft serviceability etc. that can prevent them from flying. They're not saying that this is a list of aircraft that it would nice if they could attend. They have booked them, and they will attend subject of course to those provisos. I don't recall hearing about an aircraft that hasn't turned up to an airshow in the UK simply because the pilot/operator decided on the day that they couldn't be bothered. It is, and always has been the same for airshows in this country over the last century that certain factors have prevented aircraft attendance on the day itself. However I assure you that there are many more examples of aircraft turning up as planned.

wv383

Post by wv383 »

Makes you wonder why someone is having a 'go' at this show when there is nothing different in what Portsmouth are saying compared to every other organiser!
Simon

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Exactly what I was wondering.... :confused:
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

Muppet

Post by Muppet »

It's been postponed to 2013 :sad:

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Did 'me2u' know something we did not?

me2u

Post by me2u »

Yes, know the CEO, and owner of PAF and seen previous festivals go the same way, by other people.

My guess, a token gesture, will be paid to the major charity and the rest will be paid to his charity, his design company and salaries.

How long the company will continue, is depends on how hard the sponsors and advertisers, push for their money back, but unlikely to get anything due to their t&c's.
If they push hard, then a few months,
If they believe the money will go to next years event, then I guess it will survive so they can try and raise more money the same way.

A good audit of the books, is required, by a news organization or the authorizes, to ensure that thing have been done properly.

It be good, if all the people who paid them money, made themselves known on this forum, so that on mass you can try and get your money back.

Southendnick

Post by Southendnick »

DanO1978 wrote:I heard alarming things about this event. I don't think it was ever, realistically, going to happen.

Can we ask what?
Spelling mistakes and grammatical error specialist

http://www.southendtimeline.com

DanH

Post by DanH »

It's a shame this event isn't going ahead, it had quite a good lineup for a first show. Lets hope they can get their house in order ready for next year.