Shropshire Soaring – Long Mynd 22 Jul 12

Photos of light aircraft, gliders, helicopters and anything that isn't commercial
Arthur Tee

Shropshire Soaring – Long Mynd 22 Jul 12

Post by Arthur Tee »

Made the most of this afternoon’s glorious sunshine and drove the 25 miles down to the Midland Gliding Club atop the fantastic Long Mynd hill.
There was plenty of action – and at one point there were British, Belgian, German, Dutch and South African registered aircraft airborne.
First off – two shots of my favourite – the Sedbergh

There was plenty of competition for the thermals and the ridge thanks to a fairly strong south-westerly breeze

Duo Discus G-DDJF

Just look at the shine on this …
Nord Olympia OO-ZHQ

Duo Discus G-CKML

More competition for the thermals

Had never seen one of these before – two shots of ZS-GCS – a Jonker JS-1 Revelation

And finally – a Slingsby T50

As usual – Comments & Criticism welcome!

Arthur
Canon PowerShot SX40HS - It's not what you've got - it's what you do with it!

whitus1

Re: Shropshire Soaring – Long Mynd 22 Jul 12

Post by whitus1 »

Very Nice pictures Arthur! Like the olympia and skylark shots! :clap:
keep flying

Spock

Post by Spock »

SAmashing!! Love them all, The "Barge" (Sedbergh) Looks great Flown in a few in my time.

foxfour

Post by foxfour »

Always nice to see glider shots in these forums, thanks for posting Arthur.

NeilH68

Post by NeilH68 »

Stunning pictures from a great site, was there a good few years ago and did my Bronze and parts of my Silver...great place and very nice people as well.

Vimy111

Post by Vimy111 »

Great Shots Arthur, Shame didnt get to meet you there.. As a member I was helping out all week..

To explain to the others, the 21nd July was the final day of the Much Wenlock Olympiad Games Gliding competion. The actual competion ran from the previous Sunday through to friday and the 21nd was when the medals were presented and lots of flying took place in the afternoon. The entries were limited to 40 Olympia/Meise/Nord2000 or the KA6. See http://www.wenlockolympiangliding.co.uk/index.html

The Nord200 in Your photos Arthur was Built in 1948..

Hopefully Catch up with you one day..

Nik

Arthur Tee

Post by Arthur Tee »

Vimy111 wrote:Great Shots Arthur, Shame didnt get to meet you there.. As a member I was helping out all week..

To explain to the others, the 21nd July was the final day of the Much Wenlock Olympiad Games Gliding competion. The actual competion ran from the previous Sunday through to friday and the 21nd was when the medals were presented and lots of flying took place in the afternoon. The entries were limited to 40 Olympia/Meise/Nord2000 or the KA6. See http://www.wenlockolympiangliding.co.uk/index.html

The Nord200 in Your photos Arthur was Built in 1948..

Hopefully Catch up with you one day..

Nik

Nik,

Thanks for the backround info - I had no idea there was an event on till I arrived!

The shots were taken from near the peak of the hill immediately to the North/Northeast of the field.

I don't suppose you have contact with the owner of the Sedbergh - would be nice to let him have a copy of the shot.
Besides - I'm VERY cheap - and despite my years I have never managed a flight in one! :biggrin:

Arthur

Vimy111

Post by Vimy111 »

Hi Arthur,

The T21 is owned by a Syndicate but I do know most of them so I will see them very soon and ask them..

I should have added that quite a few of the competitors had left on Saturday but others were not leaving until Monday or Tuesday..

Cheers,
Nik

CH2

Post by CH2 »

Nice shots :clap: , you being reasonably local to the place, get into gliding, get back in the end and experience ridge soaring. Got very near to having a T21 over at Satlby for the 40th, but the WX soon put paid to that, would have been nice to have parked it next to our Venture.
Cheers,

Chris

Arthur Tee

Post by Arthur Tee »

Chris,

Would love to take up gliding - just don't seem to find the time... :oops:

Had my first trip in a Ka-2 at Long Marston, followed by about half a dozen trips in ASK-13's at Hullavington and eventually about a dozen flights in Twin Stir and Twin Akro at Laarbruch.

My last gliding adventure was about 15 years ago in an ASK-21(I think) at Shawbury.

But my last gliding landing was in a Vigilant at Ternhill - which incidentally was my last 'military type' in my logbook before I retired from the RAF!

Arthur