LNER A4 Pacifics at NRM Shildon

Photos that are not aviation related
Kokpit

LNER A4 Pacifics at NRM Shildon

Post by Kokpit »

Haven't posted on here for a while, but thought these might be well received, a set of the LNER A4 Pacifics at the National Railway Museum at Shildon.

LNER A4 Pacific No's. 60008 'Dwight D. Eisenhower' and 60010 'Dominion of Canada' have recently been repatriated to Britain for a two year period, where they will take part in a number of exibitions, and receive a cosmetic restoration in return.

The museum held a night shoot on the 19th and 20th October, and John Cameron brought in his No. 60009 'Union of South Africa' to numerically complete the lineup. There had been hopes of getting in No. 60007 'Sir Nigel Gresley' as well, but funds were inadequate, so this may get to happen at a later date.

It was quite an historic occasion, the first such lineup for 50 years, and as well as John Cameron attending, so did Peter Townend, the former Assistant Motive Power Superintendent at London King's Cross from 1956.

Hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I enjoyed taking them.

Cheers,

Kev.

Stu

Re: LNER A4 Pacifics at NRM Shildon

Post by Stu »

Nice selection there do like 7th shot :clap:
Olympus Cameras

UBC780XLT
DJ-X10
DJ-X3

Representing www.simplyplanes.co.uk

Mad Dan

Post by Mad Dan »

Really like the final image...

They were - and still are - handsome locomotives and I can well remember bunking Kings Cross on numerous occasions in the early 1960s and seeing these and A3s, A2s and A1s lined up ready for their next duties.

Happy days indeed, though I doubt Peter Townend relished the attentions of the enthusiasts who sneaked in via all sorts of devious routes... And didn't he become MPD manager rather than just deputy...or have I got that wrong?
I am not a loony... I used to be, but I think I am better now...

Robin

Post by Robin »

Very interesting set of images, excellent photography. The difference between 60008 and 60010 show what a little (or lot) of money can make.

Robin.
Per Ardua ad Astra

Kokpit

Post by Kokpit »

Mad Dan wrote:And didn't he become MPD manager rather than just deputy...or have I got that wrong?

I think you're absolutely right Dan, and here are the gentlemen concerned (Peter Townend in the blue/grey coat):

Phil Standfield

Post by Phil Standfield »

Very nice post. thanks for putting them up. Would love to see Dwright haul into Weymouth sometime. Just a shame deepest Dorset is so far from all the good stuff
Stan

Brizzer

Post by Brizzer »

Excellent set was going to go to this nightshoot but the £60 turned me off but will definateley go to the shoot when they line up all 6 A4s next year at York . I dare to think at what cost though

Eireair

Post by Eireair »

Nice shots, 60010 looks a bit sorry for herself. Hope she gets a good bit of care lavished on her when shes back home.

Cimmerian
UKAR Supporter

Post by Cimmerian »

Great set. Thanks for sharing.

It will be pretty awesome when they get them all together. Hope I get to see it.
Regards, Ken

Korkydog

Post by Korkydog »

Nice set - back where they belong ! :yahoo:
It's a busmans holiday everyday !