RIAT 2013 (post your feedback in this thread)

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Flare Path

Re: RIAT 2013

Post by Flare Path »

vulcan57 wrote:Very promising, and at such an early stage.

Hmm. Very much the opposite.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

RJC1878 wrote:

I can't believe either of you are forming an opinion on a show 7 months away with no aircraft listed as participating at all at this time. :dunno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

st24

Post by st24 »

Luke28 wrote:" I assure you a large participation of French aircraft in 2013"

So 10 from the Patrouille de France + 1 C160 support = 11, that's a large number...:wink:

tomcatforever wrote: including the Patrulla Aguila, to RIAT 2013.

Oh great..... :sad:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

JJC

Post by JJC »

RJC1878 wrote:

Isn't it about time you started the 'RIAT will be a cancelled washout' all over again? :cuppa:
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Mad Dan

Post by Mad Dan »

I'm more concerned about the ablution facilities, actually... Hope they get that right - otherwise, could be a fart worse than death...
I am not a loony... I used to be, but I think I am better now...

vulcan57

Post by vulcan57 »

capercaillie wrote:
RJC1878 wrote:

I can't believe either of you are forming an opinion on a show 7 months away with no aircraft listed as participating at all at this time. :dunno:

Who's forming an opinion on the show? I'm not saying its going to be a great, average or poor show! I'm just saying that at this early stage, with the Koreans saying that they may send an aircraft, the Chinese saying that they are keen to display outside China for the first time and rumours, on another thread, that the Ukranian's will be attending (from their own government site) to mention three, is sending very promising vibes.

tu16

Post by tu16 »

Hmmm... Red Arrows going to Radom, want to bet the Poles will send the Orliks to Fairford in return (and Waddo get the MIG?)

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

tomcatforever wrote:Su-22 Demo Team please Poland :whistle: :grin:

That would be most appreciated, Hesja to the thread please :lol:

Felix2112

Post by Felix2112 »

Good morning fellow Aviation enthusiasts!

This my first posting here, although I am enjoying all your inputs since quite a while.
Being from Germany and a regular visitor to Fairford I am always sad to realize that there
are no Luftwaffe flying displays...hopefully it will change again one day, although I am not
too optimistic here.

Very sad, especially regarding the fact that the good old F-4 is reaching
the end of it's career :sad:

Did the responsibles at RIAT ever consider to invite the Cassidian / EADS test unit from Manching?
During their family days they perform flying displays with all their equipment, which the Luftwaffe
is not allowed to do :whistle: :whistle:
Personally, I would love to see an F-4F display again and also a Tornado solo display would be
most welcome :smile:

Probably an option to think about...

DanH

Post by DanH »

Felix2112 wrote:Good morning fellow Aviation enthusiasts!

This my first posting here, although I am enjoying all your inputs since quite a while.
Being from Germany and a regular visitor to Fairford I am always sad to realize that there
are no Luftwaffe flying displays...hopefully it will change again one day, although I am not
too optimistic here.

Did the responsibles at RIAT ever consider to invite the Cassidian / EADS test unit from Manching?
During their family days they perform flying displays with all their equipment, which the Luftwaffe
Personally, I would love to see an F-4F display again and also a Tornado solo display would be

Welcome to the board. :smile:

I think all of us here would share your wish to see Luftwaffe flying displays but it's always good to see their assets on static display. As for Cassidian/EADS, I'm not really familiar with what they do but I would imagine that this is an avenue that they would have explored at DBH.
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

Felix2112 wrote:Good morning fellow Aviation enthusiasts!

too optimistic here.

Morning all, WTD61 have been invited many times and we particularly focused on 3716 when painted in the overall yellow scheme. Unfortunately then and up to now those recent invitations have been declined.

Doesn't mean to say we've stopped trying though!

Tom

swingy

Post by swingy »

Thanks for the reply Air Ops. Keep up the good work and we can all but hope that WTD61 one day accept the invite.

Felix2112

Post by Felix2112 »

First of all, thanks for the warm welcome :smile:

And special thanks to Air Ops for the immediate response!!

Let´s hope the best :biggrin:

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Latest Update - 13/12/12

We were delighted to read a tweet from the Hellenic Air Force's F-16 Demo Team stating that they plan to participate in RIAT 2013. They would certainly be a great addition to the flying display programme. We were equally pleased to read on a Ukrainian website that the Ukrainian Air Force plans to take part in RIAT 2013. As soon as we receive an official approach from either air force we will let you know.

The Swedish Armed Forces have said the decision whether to participate in next summer's airshow at RAF Fairford will be taken in February and that we should have a response sometime in March. Along with the majority of the enthusiast fraternity we are excited by the recent unveiling of the specially marked SAAB Gripen; whether we will be able to secure this aircraft for RIAT 2013 is difficult to know however we will certainly be asking the question!

Those keen-eyed among you will have noticed that a new country has been added to the list of invited countries for RIAT 2013 – Vietnam.

The RAF confirmed recently that there will be a Tornado GR4 Role Demo for the 2013 season. The last official duty of this year's crews was to take part in last month's Post Season Display Symposium held at RAF Shrivenham. The crew names for next year have been selected and the names have been submitted. The team are waiting for confirmation that those chosen for the team have been accepted before the work will begin again for 2013. In the meantime, work is ongoing on next year's sequence.
Gary

tu16

Post by tu16 »

"Those keen-eyed among you will have noticed that a new country has been added to the list of invited countries for RIAT 2013 – Vietnam."

Have they highlighted that because an Vietnam AN26 is a real possibility, or does it join Cuba, Venezuela et al on that list.

Last year the "on going" and "confirmed" stuff was great, but a list of 80+ invites is pretty meaningless. Are Peru, Indonesia and Kenya really giving attendance at RIAT any thought at all?

swingy

Post by swingy »

tu16 wrote:"Those keen-eyed among you will have noticed that a new country has been added to the list of invited countries for RIAT 2013 – Vietnam."

Have they highlighted that because an Vietnam AN26 is a real possibility, or does it join Cuba, Venezuela et al on that list.

Last year the "on going" and "confirmed" stuff was great, but a list of 80+ invites is pretty meaningless. Are Peru, Indonesia and Kenya really giving attendance at RIAT any thought at all?

Disagree. It is good to know who has been invited and who has not. Two years ago folks were complaining there was not enough information coming from DBH. You now seem to be saying they are providing too much info. The table is very useful. They have been invited and I dare say if DBH thought there was no chance then they would not have been invited like Israel for example. I am glad they let us know who they have invited if for no other reason it shows they are trying. I dare say if 12 months ago they had added South Korea in the same way there would have been coments like this and look how that turned. So I agree with you that an An26 from Vietnam would be fantastic and like you I hope Peru et al are giving it serious thought. If they dont come at least we all know DBH gave it a shot.

Macc

Post by Macc »

swingy wrote:
tu16 wrote:"Those keen-eyed among you will have noticed that a new country has been added to the list of invited countries for RIAT 2013 – Vietnam."

Disagree. It is good to know who has been invited and who has not. Two years ago folks were complaining there was not enough information coming from DBH. You now seem to be saying they are providing too much info. The table is very useful. They have been invited and I dare say if DBH thought there was no chance then they would not have been invited like Israel for example. I am glad they let us know who they have invited if for no other reason it shows they are trying. I dare say if 12 months ago they had added South Korea in the same way there would have been coments like this and look how that turned. So I agree with you that an An26 from Vietnam would be fantastic and like you I hope Peru et al are giving it serious thought. If they dont come at least we all know DBH gave it a shot.

Spot on.

tu16

Post by tu16 »

Just to clarify. I think RIAT are doing a great job at keeping us informed. I am glad to see this year that they are making reference to information appearing from other sources. I feel involved, I feel informed.

Putting up a list of who has been invited is a good idea in the first couple of months, but it then just becomes a long meaningless list (IMHO). Even in June last year, there was the same "invited" list (not confirmed or declined), with 40+ countries on it, but if a country isn't "ongoing" by say April/May it isn't coming.

OK, after, say March, put the "invited" list on another page for all those who want to be reminded of how many invites RIAT put out that were not even returned (I assume that countries who haven't declined, just don't bother to answer?).

Are RIAT teasing us with a reference to Vietnam? I'm interested in why they mentioned it at all, why haven't been invited before?

RIAT do everything they can to get the best line-up, I don't need a list to tell me that.

swingy

Post by swingy »

Tu16 I hear you. What you are looking for is really covered by the confirmed aircraft page. The problem right now is they have nothing confirmed but by the end of march this page will give you what you are looking for.

swingy

Post by swingy »

Saw this on the RIAT web site.

People who have enjoyed watching the flying from our Public Grandstand or Jubilee Garden will find that we've combined the two areas to create one large, new enclosure called TheViewing Village. There is the option to choose the type of seat you prefer – either a grandstand seat or a solid plastic garden chair on the grass, facing the crowd-line.
We have also established a new enclosure called The Spitfire Lawn, in association with CotswoldLife, which will provide a comfortable, stylish environment in which to enjoy the flying.
For all those people who enjoy the thrill of the aircraft arriving from around the world to participate in the airshow – and who enjoy the busy departures day on the following Monday, we're offering a special Four-day Park & View Ticket, valid for Wednesday, July 17; Thursday, July 18, Friday, July 19 and Monday July 22. In the past people have had to buy individual day tickets but we've introduced a multi-day ticket that saves money!

One final change is that we have renamed The Trenchard Chalet The Lightning Pavilion. The new name refers to both the historic English Electric Lightning, which first flew almost 60 years ago, and the F-35 Lightning II, the world's latest multi role fighter. We wanted a name that reflected both traditional values and the new fast jet age and felt that 'Lightning' encapsulated the two

Now I know it is a case of 2+2=5 but Trenchard to be called Lightning and F35 all over the new poster............................................. :cuppa:

Stealthy12

Post by Stealthy12 »

swingy wrote:
Now I know it is a case of 2+2=5 but Trenchard to be called Lightning and F35 all over the new poster............................................. :cuppa:

I believe that there is a strong chance of the F-35 coming over, Lockheed desperately need to sell the things for a number of reasons
1.) US Defense cuts (F-35 may be in the firing line)
2) country's dropping out and reducing orders (Japan, Canada,Italy)
3) They need to sell the jet to as many country's as possible
With RIAT attracting a lot of country's,and RIATs big sponsors such as Lockheed and BAE, surely its about time they want to get it out and show the world what it can do because there is now a lot of competition, PAK FA T-50 (?), Super Hornet, Silent Eagle, Eurofighter, Rafale, Gripen.

swingy

Post by swingy »

Part of RIAT update today is hilarious. Too much Christmas spirit at DBH I think.

Again, it is highly likely that Alan Smith, our volunteer chairman will bring his R-44 helicopter to RIAT 2013 but as we went to press, rumours that a TBM-700 was also planning to attend next summer, remain wholly unsubstantiated.” :lol: :lol: :lol:

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

The whole of the latest message is:-

Earlier this week, we received a very encouraging letter from Air Command detailing some of the aircraft the RAF hope to be able to send to the Air Tattoo next summer. They include a flying VC-10 transport aircraft and TriStar air-to-air tanker plus a C-17, A330 'Voyager' and C-130J/K Hercules for either the flying display or static park.

Other RAF aircraft earmarked for the airshow include a Tornado, Search & Rescue Sea King helicopter, the Red Arrows and the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.
The RAF is also enthusiastic about our endeavours to bring together all the Typhoon operators of the world in line with our operational theme SkyGuardian. To this end we've invited Austria, Germany, Italy, Saudi Arabia, Spain and of course, the UK.

A number of potential, exciting set pieces for the flying display were also suggested and we look forward to working with the RAF over the coming months in the hope of bringing these to fruition.

However, we have also been informed that due to fleet pressures on training assets, there will likely be no flying displays by the Hawk, Squirrel or Griffin at RIAT. Whilst the RAF participation will not be finalised until next spring, we hope visitors to our website will be as excited as we are about the high level of RAF support being considered for next summer's airshow.

We are currently exploring with EADS, a longstanding sponsor and supporter of the Air Tattoo, to see if Eurocopter might wish to send its experimental X3 hybrid helicopter to RAF Fairford next summer! The aircraft combines excellent vertical take-off and landing capabilities with a fast cruise speed. Were it to come, it would be a wonderful addition to the 2013 event. In the meantime, anyone wishing to experience the thrills and challenges of flying a helicopter on a rescue or VIP mission should try their hand at the Eurocopter Flight Simulator at http://www.eurocopter.com/flightsimulator

A meeting was held at Air Tattoo headquarters in Fairford this week with our friends at Breitling to discuss their involvement at RIAT 2013. The Air Tattoo remains grateful to the luxury watchmaker for its continued support of the airshow through its private enclosure, sponsorship packages and, of course, its wonderful stable of beautiful historic aircraft as well as its thrilling aerobatic jet team. We look forward to developing plans for their participation next summer.

It was largely thanks to the Air Tattoo's 'man in Moscow', that RIAT 2012 was able to feature the exciting Russian advanced military trainer and light attack aircraft – the Yakolev Yak-130 'Mitten' in RIAT 2012's flying display. Indeed, our well-placed volunteer has been instrumental in securing a number of highly-prized Russian aircraft for the Air Tattoo over the years. The word on the улица is that the Russian Air Force is very keen to reciprocate the RAF Red Arrows' participation in their 100th anniversary airshow at Zhukovsky in August. We'll keep you posted!

Again, it is highly likely that Alan Smith, our volunteer chairman will bring his R-44 helicopter to RIAT 2013 but as we went to press, rumours that a TBM-700 was also planning to attend next summer, remain wholly unsubstantiated.

On behalf of everyone involved in staging the Royal International Air Tattoo, we wish you all a very Happy Christmas.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

A flying VC-10? :dunno:

Russ

Post by Russ »

DeanW wrote:A flying VC-10? :dunno:

That's what I thought. It must be a typo surely?