UKAR 'Top Ten Airshow Moments' 2012

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

UKAR 'Top Ten Airshow Moments' 2012

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Our annual ranking of the UK Top Ten 'Airshow Moments' of 2012 is now online.

Do you agree with our choices? Have your say, and let us know your airshow highlights from the summer of 2012.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

8674planes

Re: UKAR 'Top Ten Airshow Moments' 2012

Post by 8674planes »

Those 3 Mk.I's were a real supprise and a pleasure to watch. A great tribute to the late Howard Pardue. :clap:
Last edited by 8674planes on Fri 04 Jan 2013, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

Hasboman

Post by Hasboman »

I do think that the Tornado Role Demonstration deserved a mention, especially after the loss at Lossiemouth just before RIAT. They're done an excellent job this year. :clap:

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

The Black Eagles at Fairford were superb!!! One event i think was worthy of a mention was the great Norweigan day at North Weald.Fantastic mix of aircraft,and a lovely warm feel to the day.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

The Vulcan doing circuits over Beachy Head, was one of the most memorable, possibly never to be repeated sights from 2012. That would be my number 1 without a doubt. An iconic aircraft against an iconic British backdrop. Seeing it appear from below the clifftop level and banking infront and below you on its first pass was mightily impressive.

The only thing in recent years that has equalled that feeling like "you had seen something special," was the Vulcan - Sea Vixen Flypast at Yeovilton in 2011.

A huge round of applause rippling along the clifftops, showed that people had just seen (and appreciated) something special.

The Vulcan display at RIAT was ballsy aswell, one of the best I have seen since post return to flight.

The Koreans would be second in my list.

I agree with Hasboman regarding the Tornado Role Demo and Missing Man formation at RIAT.

Russ

Post by Russ »

FGR2 wrote:The Vulcan doing circuits over Beachy Head, was one of the most memorable, possibly never to be repeated sights from 2012. That would be my number 1 without a doubt.

The Vulcan display at RIAT was ballsy aswell, one of the best I have seen since post return to flight.

It was nominated, but didn't get enough votes to make the Top Ten. There was plenty of other quality we had to leave out too - NATO E-3 arrival at RIAT, F-4F arrival at Waddington, A380 at Farnborough, Tornado Role Demo, to name just a few.

Just goes to show what a vintage year 2012 was.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

I'd have the Koreans as my number one - absolutely fantastic display, dignified but humble crew, great ambassadors :clap:

Not sure about the Antonov 124 being described as a "Russian heavy" though? :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

The Koreans are #1. The Mk1s are #10, it counts down in descending order and each one is numbered.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:The Koreans are #1.

Yeees, that is what I said. :wink:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

st24

Post by st24 »

It's a fair enough list but not to include Snafu - a most welcome type returning to the UK warbird scene because it's display (it's first - so perhap a little diluted due to pilot work up) was "underwhelming" and yet include the static appearance of a B-2 that we've seen before baffles me somewhat..... :dizzy:
Oh and as MrC said, check where Antonov are based... :wink: :grin:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Macc

Post by Macc »

capercaillie wrote:I'd have the Koreans as my number one - absolutely fantastic display, dignified but humble crew, great ambassadors :clap:

Not sure about the Antonov 124 being described as a "Russian heavy" though? :whistle:

Well it's a Russian design, so it's still an appropriate title. That's like arguing about a MiG-29 being called a 'Soviet aircraft' because it's in Polish markings..

TonyO

Post by TonyO »

No, its Ukrainian... :wink:
Do you want the Aladeen news or the Aladeen news?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

I know about the Antonov mistake. I'll correct it tonight when I'm on my PC tonight.

The final list is the net result of each person's individual 10 highlights that are tallied. Snafu was in my top 10, for example, but there's no denying that the B-2, albeit only static, created a buzz around the forums and crippled our old server like few things have since XH558s first flight.

Although notable, there was nothing like as much interest in Snafu's debut; the overriding chat on the Legends build-up was of a list that looked a little disappointing.

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Although notable, there was nothing like as much interest in Snafu's debut; the overriding chat on the Legends build-up was of a list that looked a little disappointing.

The fact of the matter is, she's a unique warbird in that she's the only P-47 flying in Europe. Regardless of any hype for her debut, she had been known about for over a year in her SNAFU scheme so comparing that to the B-2 at RIAT is a tad stretched. I'll agree with the majority in that her Legends display was lacklustre but by all accounts TFC's Chief Pilot displayed her at the September Show at Duxford and then at Goodwood and that was met quite positively..

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

SNAFU is also a P-47G by the way.
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Kieran wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:

The fact of the matter is, she's a unique warbird in that she's the only P-47 flying in Europe. Regardless of any hype for her debut, she had been known about for over a year in her SNAFU scheme so comparing that to the B-2 at RIAT is a tad stretched. I'll agree with the majority in that her Legends display was lacklustre but by all accounts TFC's Chief Pilot displayed her at the September Show at Duxford and then at Goodwood and that was met quite positively..

I'm aware of all this - as I stated in my last post, Snafu was on my nominated list (along with several other displays and events that didn't make the final ten).

I didn't offer the B-2 up for comparison from thin air. Someone else questioned it's value in relation to the P-47, I merely offered up a possible reason why.

Russ

Post by Russ »

It's all about opinions - these are merely the staff nominations. One of the many reasons why we do this every year is because it always provides an interesting debate on the forum.

Macc

Post by Macc »

TonyO wrote:No, its Ukrainian... :wink:

Oh yeah, I forgot Antonov was Ukranian hence all the Design Bureau aircraft are UR-* registered. :grin:

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

What about a world top ten then? Mosquito a clear winner for me.....

John

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

FarnboroJohn wrote:What about a world top ten then? Mosquito a clear winner for me.....

John

Good shout. Viggen SE-DXN return to flight would be in that top 10 I'm sure :biggrin:

PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Russ wrote:It's all about opinions -..

and experiences. As the other guys have said, we all put our ideas in and they produce results. If they'd all been at the Goodwood Revival then Snafu would most likely be pushing for top spot.

Russ

Post by Russ »

DeanW wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:What about a world top ten then? Mosquito a clear winner for me.....

John

Good shout. Viggen SE-DXN return to flight would be in that top 10 I'm sure :biggrin:

And the rest from that Russian Centenary show. :grin:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Sorry about the "Russian" An-124 mistake... my bad! :oops:

Guess I was thinking about it as a Soviet aircraft, and that wrongly lead me to call it a Russian. Apologies!

st24

Post by st24 »

PeterR wrote:Sorry about the "Russian" An-124 mistake... my bad! :oops:

Guess I was thinking about it as a Soviet aircraft, and that wrongly lead me to call it a Russian. Apologies!

Aah well at least it wasn't a Tu134 :tongue:

It's been an excellent year-old the Russian show was show of the year but events in Japan, Czech republic, Slovenia etc have yielded some superb airshow moments :clap:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

All staff members nominate their top 10 moments and then these are then ranked and our top 10 list is produced. It's merely an opinion. What didn't make the list highlights what a great year 2012 was for the UK airshow scene. :smile: