RNAS Yeovilton - Tue 29/Thu 31/Fri 01 - 18 images

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
centaurus18

RNAS Yeovilton - Tue 29/Thu 31/Fri 01 - 18 images

Post by centaurus18 »

Please be patient - 18 images downloading! - Many thanks!

Eighteen images from RNAS Yeovilton, taken across three days, are included below!

(1) Tuesday 29th saw Yeovil Town playing host to Franchise FC in nPower League One action, so a brief stop was made at Pyle Lane before the game.
In dark, dreary conditions, Hunter T.8B XF995 arrived back at 1615hrs with an overshoot...

(2) and upon landing taxied back to south dispersal...

(3) Thursday 31st</b> saw me tackle the newly constructed lakes of Chilton Cantelo and Yeovilton village.
Taken from Pyle lane again, FRADU Hawk XX205 is seen taxiing in following numerous rollers and circuits...

(4, 5 & 6) BBC Points West news reporter Clinton Rogers and his cameraman happened to be in Pyle Lane filming a story on the Army Air Corps at this time.
A Wildcat came over for a nose for 10 minutes!

(7) Both FRADU Hawks in use with RNAS Yeovilton Hawk Detachment then departed in fading light...

(8) ...and returned in near darkness at 1630hrs.

Mark
'We’re in the stickiest situation, since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.'

centaurus18

Re: RNAS Yeovilton - Tue 29/Thu 31/Fri 01 - 18 images

Post by centaurus18 »

(9) With the possibility of Hunter sorties on <b>Friday 1st</b> I chanced my arm... arriving at Pyle Lane at 1000hrs all that was airborne was a sole Sea King, and no sign of a Hunter...

(10, 11 & 12) Following a trip back to Yeovil, and a successful sailing across Lakes Bridgehampton and Speckington, it was into the squelchy sheep field at the end of Runway 27 at 1130hrs.
The Hunter was on the line, and the Hawks came back at the right moment!

(13 & 14) The Hunter then started up, and to our surprise had the RF seeker head component fitted - should it now be officially classed as Hunter T.8B (mod) XF995?

(15) The old school FRADU smell...

(16) Captured preparing to depart...

(17 & 18) ...and just over an hour later on finals to land!

My thanks to Lewis, Andy A, Warren, Darren and 'cessna954' for the company over those three days.
I am hoping that the two Hawker Hunter Aviation F-58s are still resident and are scheduled to be on taskings when I can get down again...
I've not seen either of them fly since 2009!

Many thanks for looking, and comments etc. welcome.
Mark
'We’re in the stickiest situation, since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.'

Hawkkeeper

Post by Hawkkeeper »

more time off, good shots of the hawks, wildcat looks good too.

lmgaylard

Post by lmgaylard »

Nice work Mr Russell........ :clap:
It's a lot less bover in the hover

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Really like the Wildcat shots. Having been to Yeovilton twice in the last 2 weeks I can vouch for it being damp, I've started calling it RNLI Yeovilton.

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

Thanks guys for all the comments :)
Never really experienced that amount of standing water around Yeovilton - cannot see much of it disappearing for a couple of weeks at least.
Mark