UKAR's Greatest Hits

Communal photo threads for specific aircraft types, operators etc.
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

UKAR's Greatest Hits

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Simple premise - post five of the best aviation photographs you have ever taken. Your criteria for picking them are open to interpretation: it could be something personal, the reaction they receive from others, the subject rarity, your number of views on flickr/a.net or anything else, but please explain your choices and let's banish the winter blues and showcase the very best of UKAR's talented membership.

1. It's never drawn much affection on any of the aviation sites, but on the odd occasion I'm showing anybody my prints, this is always the one photo that draws the most praise. It's also the photo that has recorded the highest 'pulse' on my 500px account - it seems to be a very popular photograph with everybody apart from aviation enthusiasts!

2. Having sat around Cottesmore all day in thick, freezing fog hoping for something - anything - to happen to get a last glimpse at the Harriers before they were retired, the last thing anybody was expecting was to be treated to a sunset like this. One of my all time favourite aircraft, and this is my favourite shot of one - just two days before they had their wings clipped for good.

3. The debut of the Meteor T7 at Duxford 2011 was very memorable. Most unusually, the clouds parted for the star of the show, and for seven minutes or so we were treated to a series of amazing passes. I don't often see my photos in print, but this one was published a number of times, most notably as a double-page spread in Classic Aircraft magazine.

4. I have a bit of a soft-spot for the Merlin, having been closely associated with the display team from 2006-2010, including designing their logo and running their online presence. I don't think I've ever taken a better photo of the machine than this one.

5. This one I like just because it is a rare view and a shot I'd been after for years, finally captured in 2010. I've not come close to repeating it since.

"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

PChaplin

Re: UKAR's Greatest Hits

Post by PChaplin »

What an excellent idea for a thread.

I've only been doing Photography since 2010, so not a great deal to choose from.

1, RIAT 2010 was my first using a DSLR. So, I was pretty pleased when this shot of the Raptor came out ok.

F22 by Phil Chaplin Photography, on Flickr

2, The P40 is probably my favourite Warbird so to see the TFC's latest example make it's display debut at the 2011 Legends was a real highlight and to get this nice topside made it even better.

P40F by Phil Chaplin Photography, on Flickr

3, Getting soaking wet, waiting for the B2 arrive the Friday before RIAT is what this hobby is all about.

B2 Spirit by Phil Chaplin Photography, on Flickr

4, Not the most exciting photograph, but it's a lovely Aircraft and this was the first photograph I had accepted on to Airliners.net.

Albatros by Phil Chaplin Photography, on Flickr

5, Another from RIAT, this time it's Air Tattoo 2011. Not the sharpest shot in the world, but I like it and it's the best low-shutter speed shot of the Lancaster I've managed to get, so far.

Lancaster by Phil Chaplin Photography, on Flickr
Twitter: @pchaplin_

Check out my Flickr! http://www.flickr.com/photos/87327330@N03/

TonyO

Post by TonyO »

Love the idea of the thread...

1. Probably my favourite image yet. I had been inspired by an image taken by a DoD photographer in Iraq and decided I wanted a photo just like it and it all came together at Camp Bastion. The Marines had some fantastic spot lamps lighting their ramp, it was just a case of arranging with the crews to turn the slime lights on the blades and hey presto, the effect is quite electrifying!

2. On the same theme, but taken four months before the trip to Afghanistan, I was lucky enough to get a visit to Patrick where these two Pave Hawks were getting ready to depart on a night-time gunnery mission in Florida. The crews kindly posed their 'Jollys' under the lights, a PJ marshalled them in to position for me to get this unique image.

3. Always had a soft spot for the Hawkeye, so during my extended embark on the USS Eisenhower we made regular trips to Vultures Row to capture the flight deck ops and the light and sea conditions were perfect for when this E-2C returned after its maritime security mission over the Gulf of Oman.

4. An amazing end to an incredible day on the Salisbury Plain, this image even manages to bring some elegance and beauty to the ugly Apache gunship. Well worth the sniffles and shivers waiting for this picture to form.

5. Was a real tough one to choose, but I think this image edges it. This is of course Boscombe's Raspberry Ripple Lynx posing fantastically for the camera on a late afternoon on the Plain. The colours and its Lynx make this shot one of my all time favourite images, where everything comes together at the right moment.

Do you want the Aladeen news or the Aladeen news?

bigcrow

Post by bigcrow »

#1 the greatest aircraft ever to grace our skies has to be the SR-71 Blackbird, I was fortunate enough to see this amazing aircraft on numerous occasions while it was detached at RAF Mildenhall. Here she is displaying at Air Fete 87.

#2 one of the best exercises to be held in recent times on U.K soil was ‘Indra Dhanush II’, this was taken during a heavy thunderstorm whilst returning to RAF Waddington back in 2007.

#3 sometimes the light & subject matter all fall into place. This was the case at RAF Brize Norton on a cold December evening.

#4 when I got to hear that the F-14 Tomcat was going to appear at Oceana’s 2006 air show for one last time, I just had to attend. Here is VF-31’s CAG jet pulling moisture out of the damp air.

#5 a life time ambition was finally achieved back in July last year, when I was lucky enough to embark on the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower in the Med. I love the composition of this shot, shows how busy the flight-deck is on an operational carrier.

swingy

Post by swingy »

Bigcrow those are stunning. :clap:

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Some stunning stuff already on here, I do love TonyO's Osprey shot that's a great capture.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

MikeH

Post by MikeH »

Being a bit lazy I didn't bother to give this much thought but these are some of my favourites:-

Concorde G-AXDN at Farnborough 1974:

From the bridge of the JFK in October1976:

A tiger Tonka getting the wheels up early at Fairford 2004:

VC-10 and Reds at Fairford 2006:

Tiger Mirage 2000C at Albacete 2006:

Embarrassingly there's not been much recently. :oops:

bigfatron

Post by bigfatron »

1. First off a civvie shot. This was when I went through a phase of late summer/early autumn sunset shooting round the second runway at Manchester Airport. I was quite lucky to catch some stacked up inbound traffic and a gorgeous 'pina colada' sky (OK I've hammed it up a bit with curves).

2. Another Manchester civvie, this time of the departing daily A380 flight to Dubai shot from the lights of the main runway. I remember posting this originally on here where the original had the approach lights in the bottom right corner and a few people said they spoilt it. I originally preferred it with the lights in but now I've become more fond of the cloned-out version.

3. There are many better F22 pictures in existence with this but this is the one of mine I like the most. Jaw dropping plane in every regard and felt more special after actually practically getting to Fairford for what was meant to be its UK airshow debut on the morning of the show that never was before finding out it'd been cancelled.

4. Tonka becomes a flying cloud at what's my most local event (Southport). No back story, I just like it.

5. The last one was a tough call and I've made the 'odd' decision. I've finally gone with this French Alpha Jet shot from the Mach Loop. Its not the best shot I took that day. Its not even the fastest or most exotic plane we got. It does however illustrate nicely just how utterly bonkers they are in terms of how close to the deck they get. It also reminds me its far too long since I've been down the Loop.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Cracking images in the thread so far!

Here's mine, in no particular order..

Linkoping was my first foreign show, and I got to see the likes of the Viggen and Draken flying!

I've got a thing for images of aircraft on the ground, and I was really happy with this capture..

I always try and go for the creative image. This is one of my favourites, a Sea Harrier playing hide and seek at Yeovilton..

F-22 Raptor. Right above your head. Nuff said.

This was a really enjoyable day, with great access to the Reds at Scampton. Whenever I see this pic I just think of the Top Gun theme tune..

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Really difficult picking 5 from 30 odd years but here's what I've gone for.

Spitfire PR.XI at Southport in 2011.

High speed pass by the solo Turkish AF F-16.

A Beaver arrives at the Vancouver airport float plane terminal. Taken in November 2010

RJX85 and RJX100 in formation above Eastern England.

Concorde G-BOAF arrives at Farnborough in 1998

Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Post by Ben H »

1) First up, this shot from my first ever trip to Cad West, on a lovely summer's day way back in 2007:

2) A Tristar looking imposing at Kemble 2010:

3) Taken from the cockpit of 750NAS Jetstream XX481 in November 2009, shortly before taking control of the thing for a happy ten minutes. Just look at that brilliant overhead panel!

4) The Swift S-1 of the Swift Aerobatic Display Team at Shoreham 2009. A great day marred by the loss of Brian Brown and BD707.

5) Finally, this is probably one of my favourites, taken at the very first Northolt Nightshoot all the way back in April 2009. Happy days!

Mr Flibble
UKAR Staff

Post by Mr Flibble »

Fab idea for a thread - and great posts so far too.

In no particular order my five would be:

1. Abingdon 2009. Loved this display and a fantastic topside view.

2. My favourite shot of the Reds to date - perfect formation at RIAT in 2009.

3. Reminds me of a great trip over to Belgium last year. The flying displays might have been too distant to shoot but we got this awesome raised viewpoint of the taxiway.

4. When the Vulcan is finally grounded, I think this will be my favourite shot of her, overall. Yeovilton Air Day 2010.

5. I couldn't miss out a SHar. This isn't the sharpest shot in the world, or shot in ideal conditions. I just love the angle and the capture of that split second before touching down on a vertical landing.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

just a few from me. dont know if they are good enough

1 Czech Air Force Saab Gripen, which was an accidental picture as I was falling asleep (got in from work at 2 am and was out at 6!) and I heard it and just took the picture!
Gripen by andyxh558, on Flickr

2.I was lucky enough in 2010 to see XH558 coming back to Bruntingthorpe for the Cold war day in May, As it came over the trees.
vulcan558-number-1 by andyxh558, on Flickr

3 1st of march 2011 when the usual suspects descended on Raf Cottesmore for a Photocall Just before they sold them to the Americans for a song!
gr9retroaa1 by andyxh558, on Flickr

4. A sight never to be seen over here soon? An A10 in amazing blue skies over fairford in 2011, ironically it was raining like hell an hour before!
hog1 by andyxh558, on Flickr

5.Could have been a scene from the 1940s if it wasnt for the pesky traffic cone in the background. Flying Legends 2011

Finally one that isnt aviation but I want to put is on here. Its my Dads James Trials bike which he built.. a lot better looking than any of the occ bikes i think
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

A pretty tough choice, getting it down to my five favourites but here goes:

This one from back in 2010 while I was still shooting Pentax at LAX. I'd missed catching the China Airlines B747-400 in 'Dreamliner Scheme' the previous year, so catching it in perfect weather meant so much more to me. The previous day they'd be a massive storm over Los Angeles which left the air clear of smog for this shot, notice how you can see the Hollywood sign!
Hollywood Dreamliner by Peter Reoch [Old Pentax Stream], on Flickr

There's something quite sad about seeing an aircraft in a dismantled state I think, and this Nimrod R1 is no exception. I waited on a cold motorway bridge over the M54 for around four hours to get this shot as XV249 was delivered to the RAF Museum Cosford.
Flying Without Wings... by Peter Reoch Photography, on Flickr

I'm not sure why, but I just love this shot of a chromed P-51D Mustang that I took over in the US this summer. The rainbow oil steaks along the aircraft attracted me to it, and the way they curve around the airframe seems so elegant. All the groundcrew where polishing the stains off the other Mustangs but thankfully I got this shot before they got to this one!
Rainbow Streaks. by Peter Reoch Photography, on Flickr

A really old shot now (for me) from back in 2007 when I got my first DSLR. Taken during a GIC flight from RAF Shawbury (633 VGS weekend detachment), the Vigilant is a special aircraft to me after flying solo in one and I like the reflections on the wing in this shot. It also reached the semi-finals of the 'Great British Life' photography competition too.
Vigilant Wing by Peter Reoch [Old Pentax Stream], on Flickr

Saving my favourite till last - the mighty Shackleton. Need I say more about this shot?
The Beast Awakens. by Peter Reoch Photography, on Flickr

RickIngham

Post by RickIngham »

I see this as my trademark image. The one shot I'd pick over any other - and a very nice crew too!

Lockheed C-130H Hercules - 843 - Swedish Air Force - Salisbury Plain by RickInghamPhotography.co.uk, on Flickr

Not sure what to say about this one other than all I remember was the screaming kids and women as this played chicken with us:

Red Arrows - Dawlish Carnival Airshow 2010 by RickInghamPhotography.co.uk, on Flickr

One of my first snaps taken with a DSLR - Probably the first shot I was happy with:

Grumman E-2C Hawkeye - 16-3849 - USAF by RickInghamPhotography.co.uk, on Flickr

I've taken bucket loads of sunsets but this one looks 'right':

Bell 212HP AH1 - ZJ969/K - AAC by RickInghamPhotography.co.uk, on Flickr

Could have picked about 15 for the last place but this one edges in - another "right place, right time" moment:

Lockheed C-130H Hercules - 843 - Swedish Air Force by RickInghamPhotography.co.uk, on Flickr

Macc

Post by Macc »

1. A trip to Leuchars hoping to catch a 1(F)sqn jet ended very well but it was this monochrome which caught my eye.
Psycho taxi-ing back by Chris Milne Photography, on Flickr

I couldn't decide between these two similar shots for number 2.

2. Another Typhoon, I love operational environments and was so glad to finally catch a jet outside HAS3 nicely. I had to crouch down a bit to get the barbed wire to farm the composition as I felt it added a lot to the picture.
Outside the hardened house by Chris Milne Photography, on Flickr

Operations: Behind the wire by Chris Milne Photography, on Flickr

3. Kerosene in your face - delightful.
Burn, burn by Chris Milne Photography, on Flickr

Final two shots are more personal than technical quality.

4. The Mirage F-1 is just the nicest looking jet, luckily managed to see them deployed three times over two years!
Ex JW 08-1: Mirage F1 by Chris Milne Photography, on Flickr

5. My first, and only, Block 52+ F-16! Unexpectedly stopping at Lossie on a cold October day.
Souda bay stunner by Chris Milne Photography, on Flickr

Not really my best but there's too many to trawl through.

Ellins

Post by Ellins »

Some absolutely mind blowing shots in here. Tonys Osprey shot is just perfect though :clap:

I can't put an order on them, they all hold great times and happy memories. The Pave Hawk day has to come top for reasons which are probably well known by now so I wont re-document them.

USAF HH-60G Pave Hawk by www.davidellinsphotography.com, on Flickr

From then on I can't pick a moment over another, some planned some unexpected.

Believe it or not this ranks quite highly. Driving past Snowdon as this chap was doing underslung loads in the early morning light.

Eurocopter AS-355N Ecureuil 2 "Squirrel" - Veritair - G-STON by www.davidellinsphotography.com, on Flickr

First time at my local general aviation airfield.... 3 military movements. A quick chat resulted in this.

AAC Apaches - "Sherman Formation" by www.davidellinsphotography.com, on Flickr

This was just mental...

Eurofighter Typhoon - 3 Squadron - NIGHTMARE 32 by www.davidellinsphotography.com, on Flickr

So that leaves me with more space to fill. I'll go with this. A rare beast at the end of its life and whilst we had gone to the Lindens to photograph a Squirrel this beauty dropped in.

ETPS Lynx by www.davidellinsphotography.com, on Flickr

Cheers

Stonefaction

Post by Stonefaction »

In no particular order, these are my favourites (today at least)....

The light had been lovely earlier in the day, but a wall of grey cloud rolled in, leaving a few small gaps where the sun peeked through. Thankfully a Typhoon landed and taxied through some of the sunlit patches.

I do like my moody, dark skies. An edited Typhoon shot from Leuchars 2010 airshow.

From a personal Leuchars base tour, courtesy of a UKAR contributor. Thanks again, Steve. Was brilliant being up close to the Tornadoes and by the runway caravan for recoveries.

From Lossiemouth. I wanted a wide-angle approach shot of sorts from underneath (didn't own a wide-angle lens at the time), so chose to lie down under the approach, which was rather fortunate as this Tornado came in rather flat and low (there is a shot from along the track with the wheels being half-hidden behind the gorse bushes). Got a bit of grief on here at the time for being in position to take this. I'd weighed up the risks, took the precautions I could, and got the shot I wanted.

From Leuchars ill-fated 2008 show, when the weather kept almost everything on the ground. The vortex in the smoke behind the Apache just made for an unusual shot. Not the sharpest shot, and I'd bump up the ISO if I had the chance again.

Chris P

Post by Chris P »

There are some extraordinary images in this thread
I will add 5 of mine which I like for various reasons

The mighty Vulcan over Windermere is my Favourite for a number of reasons - for a start I never imagined I would ever see a Vulcan flying let alone down Low

This Chopper image was at the Italian Air Force show a few years ago and they gave me a great pass with the guys all looking mean and nasty LOL

This Raptor image was the first time I ever saw the F22 in action at Nellis in 2005 and was really pleased with that trip with tons of aircraft and blue sky's every day

I have added a Low Level GR4 from Tebay as I Love sat on a hill getting the Low Flyers Got addicted to them in 2004 and dont suppose I will ever change although I must add I dont go any where near as much as I used to but still a great way to shoot aircraft

Had trip to Austria Salzburg a few years ago to see the Russian Ski Invasion and learned what cold really means stood out all day in minus 15 Brrrr Cooooold
Tu 154 at night

cheers
Chris

Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Post by Ben H »

There are some absolutely stunning photos in here - what a talented bunch there are in this place!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Ben H wrote:There are some absolutely stunning photos in here - what a talented bunch there are in this place!

Indeed. Nice to see people giving it some consideration before posting too. :clap:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Bartek

Post by Bartek »

Some fantastic photos here guys. Congratulations!
Here would be my short list:
5. It think my aviation enthusiasm started when I saw Su-22 over Pila Air Base back in the middle of 90s. After many years I got chance to visit Fitter base in Miroslawiec for the first time - perfect light and a lot of operations - 10 meters from me...This was close...Not one of the best from photo perspective - but I love this visit...
4. My first air to air. Rams session with Polish Casas over snowy mountains. Despite my lack of experience it went not bad...
3. Earlier I have never met Polish Navy choppers in the air. After this accidentally encounter with Mi-14 Haze in Orca livery I just fell in love with this magnificent machine
2. Ramp action with MiGs. I think it might be the best photo I have taken.
1. Two weeks in Afghanistan was probably the best time in my life. Here is photo which I have dreamed of (very hard to get in Poland) - face to face with Hockeys during early morning sortie over Ghazni province. Breath taking sight... It was hard to pick favorite from this trip but for now I can show you only this one due to upcoming publication.
Last edited by Bartek on Wed 06 Mar 2013, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

It'll be interesting to see if Hesja sees this thread and what 5 he would choose as they are all stunning!!
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur